Cover image for UDR

UDR

Engaged Employer

UDR

Add a Review

UDR Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Sep 19, 2023

Real Estate

19h

a

Leasing Consultant

Started with a new pm company a couple months ago. They’re based in NC but expanding into ATX with new constructions that are owned and managed. The credit/criminal screening software doesn’t have correct criteria. Every screening must be sent to VP (we don’t have a regional) to make a final decision. Don’t think he has set criteria list because for similar applicants it can be green, plus $100 or a full month’s rent deposit. Can someone please confirm whether this violates the fair housing act?

1 Comment

Real Estate

111.3K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - /Community/real-estate-5

Got a burning question about UDR? Just ask!

On Glassdoor, you can share insights and advice anonymously with UDR employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What are your colleagues talking about?

Find your exclusive Company Bowl on Community. Join the hottest conversation with your colleagues anonymously.
Join the Conversation

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor

Pros
  • "benefits are good and affordable(in 45 reviews)
  • "Pay is good but that is the only thing I can say is good about this company(in 42 reviews)
  • "The people are great and company really wants you to succeed.(in 14 reviews)
  • "Great company, culture, networking, properties.(in 12 reviews)
  • "Great work environment.(in 10 reviews)
Cons
  • "Under staffed, management is poor(in 26 reviews)
  • "Managers were absent a lot.(in 17 reviews)
  • "Under staffed, horrible upper management, no one is trained properly, no one knows what is going on, lack of positive reinforcement, everyones just a number company does not care about thier employees, does not follow their own company values, does not treat employees equally(in 17 reviews)
  • "No training whatsoever.(in 13 reviews)
  • "NO work life balance because you are constantly on call since the temp concierges are not properly trained.(in 8 reviews)

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of UDR and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
      Newport Beach, CA
      Recommend
      CEO Approval
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Rent discount (30% off) -Small Commission for renting reserved parking & adding pets to leases -On-site staff usually tries the best they can with the little resources allocated for them (lack of resident funds for events, small staff at large properties, etc.)

Cons

From the beginning there was minimal training, multiple RSC's started and quit within my year of employment. The on-site team worked numerous weeks of overtime yet we were frequently discouraged and scolded from working so much. However, when you have a small staff and 5000+ residents to handle (upper management rarely steps in to help), it was impossible not to work extra hours. There is NO work to life balance. At. All. There was heavy favoritism from upper management. This made it extremely difficult for employees to grow within the company (though UDR will try to convince you otherwise). Gossip and lies spread rampantly amongst employees, furthering the favoritism to those who lingered in our superior's office cracking jokes, avoiding work and talking behind coworker's backs. UDR also does not prioritize their residents (unless you work for a luxury property), making it extremely difficult to enjoy working when residents constantly complain and berate you for the lack of funds or attention from the corporate office. Also, do not expect weekends off as they are the busiest time for leasing. Expect to be overworked, stressed and enjoy dealing with the daily resident issues that never end.

1. 1.0
        Jul 2, 2023
        Centralized Application & Lease Specialist
        Former Employee
        Recommend
        CEO Approval
        Business Outlook

Pros

Honestly, the only thing that I enjoyed about the company/my job was that there was a gym in the office building.

Cons

The culture at UDR is inimical. Employees are controlled with fear. The work environment is hostile. Many of my peers have disclosed to me and I have witnessed for myself the impact the job and the stress have on their health (mental and physical). One of my peers expressed to me that they would go to their car every day during their lunch and cry because they were so afraid of making a mistake. Another shared with me that they would throw up everyday before going into work because the workload was so overwhelming. There’s a difference between work that is challenging and a work load that is impossible. The work itself was difficult but doable. The work load on the other hand was so overwhelming. There were no safety nets to prepare the associates for the work load if there was any sort of emergency, such as a family emergency, personal health concerns, and/or the company deciding to let someone go—all of which occurred in my area during my employment. This resulted in the employees and myself being immensely overworked and over-stressed. Despite these examples being emergencies that were out of the hands of the employees, the pressure to be perfect remained. Despite having very good numbers during this time when my peers and I were overwhelmed with work, my work was constantly and harshly criticized. There was no grace, patience, or respect exhibited by the company when my coworkers and I worked excessive overtime to meet the demands of the high volume of work. The company is so ill equipped for their employees to have a 3 dimensional life. The work/life balance weighed aggressively in favor of work over life. On two occasions my manager (though indirectly, very clearly) threatened my employment as a way of controlling me as an associate.

We are sorry to hear about your disappointment with us! Please contact us at HR@udr.com to discuss what occurred and how we might be able to assist you further. Please note that all feedback is reviewed by our HR and the Executive team to provide associates with the best experience.

2. Join the UDR team

Popular Conversations

Interview Tips

192.9K

Analyst

I recently interviewed for a role that I was very excited about. The interview with the hiring manager was going so well and then he said, “we’re a family here.” It’s a really large company and I have a friend who is on this team and she has said so many amazing things about the company and the job itself. What do y’all think about this? I know it’s often seen as a red flag but all other flags are green. If it helps any, he is not from the US but it is a US based company.

4 Comments

Brand Marketing Strategist

Have you ever done interview & just felt the team or company wasn’t sitting well with your gut? How does that factor into your decision if an offer is made? Obv a job interview time is limited so you never know but sometimes I just have a vibe it’s not a match and even though I may keep going in rounds, I’m always checking if I finally get the gut feeling this may be right. I had one where round 1-4 the mood was off. I felt I was being nitpicked harshly always, they rejected me in the end

3 Comments

Technical Analyst

Hi I maybe interviewing with a company named Centese can anyone give me feed back n detail of work environment please

1 Comment

Glassdoor has 484 UDR reviews submitted anonymously by UDR employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if UDR is right for you.