Cover image for UKG

4.1
UKG CEO, Executive Chair Chris Todd, Aron Ain
Chris Todd, Aron Ain
2,437 Ratings

What people are saying about UKG

Join the conversation on

Consulting

5m

works at

UKG

I don’t know how y’all feel about solution consulting in this bowl but I just wanted to give props to my company UKG real quick. Last week they sent out an email reminding us that they’ve been covering travel for medical or reproductive services for years, long before it became a hot button issue. Feels like it’s been important to them for a long time because it’s the right thing to do and not just because everyone else is offering it lately.

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great benefits and provided with all the IT equipment to be able do my job anywhere.(in 717 reviews)
  • "Great Culture and Environment.(in 427 reviews)
  • "Having a good Work/Life balance for everyone is near the top of concerns for management.(in 367 reviews)
  • "Great people (people are genuine and want you to succeed)(in 367 reviews)
  • "Montreal employees are friendly and nice to work with(in 175 reviews)
Cons
  • "There are some great managers.(in 132 reviews)
  • "Another key element is Krono's weak middle management in which Kronos upper management is blind(&; detached) too.(in 47 reviews)
  • "Ultimate software merged with Kronos after we were both acquired by a private equity firm but it was not a merge it was a takeover.(in 26 reviews)
  • "Favoritism runs rampant and don't be surprised if you are forced into a different role than what you were hired for.(in 10 reviews)
  • "Management, lack of diversity, flexibility(in 6 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of UKG and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Featured Review

Some of the smartest, kindest people I've ever worked with

Sep 12, 2022 - Senior Program Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone I've met since I had my first phone screening has been incredibly helpful and wildly good at their jobs. They've got the interview process down to a science. Everyone I talked to before I joined raved about the people and the culture. Now that I'm here at UKG, I can confidently say that this is an insanely smart, hardworking group of people to be working alongside. There is no shortage of professional growth and development opportunities. Our benefits are best-in-class and, in my experience, managers are huge advocates of work-life integration.

Cons

Merging two well-established companies is no easy feat. It's hard to come in new at an organization that hasn't fully established its new identity. The learning curve is extra steep as a result; be prepared to work hard and you will be generously rewarded for it.

2 people found this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company

Nov 21, 2022 - Analytics Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company, supportive coworkers and managers.

Cons

I left because I wanted to change my career path, didn't have anything to do with the company or my coworkers.

3. Join the UKG team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

The Death of Excellence

Jan 13, 2022 - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Best in class benefits (100% employer-paid healthcare and 45% 401k match) - RSUs awarded as a part of performance - IPO coming in the near future - Has embraced virtual work - Tons of growth potential - sales are strong and we are acquiring the right companies to increase our global presence

Cons

How to approach this review? To start, context is key: UKG, or Ultimate Kronos Group, is a merger of two mid-sized, successful HR software companies: Kronos, mainly focused on timekeeping, and Ultimate Software, mainly focused on payroll. Both were well-respected, growing companies with extremely complimentary products but very, very few overlapping customers. The merging of the two companies was an incredibly smart business decision that tapped into a huge amount of potential growth. Truly a match made in heaven! Culturally, however, the merger was one of the worst fits you could imagine. I am a legacy Ultimate employee, and I admit my bias. I started with Ultimate fairly young and experienced tremendous personal and career growth during my tenure there. However, the reason for my bias was a once in a lifetime work experience at what now, sadly, seems to be a once in a lifetime company. Ultimate ranked as the #2 best company to work for in the United States on the Great Places to Work list the year before the merger. This reflected a work environment that went beyond just great perks and benefits. We are talking about a company (and a leadership team) that treated employees with respect, embracing their whole selves and promoting authenticity and diversity at the highest levels. There was a focus on working smarter not harder, embracing innovation, and constantly looking to improve things not just for our customers but for our employees as well. The tagline, "People first," applied from the lowest paid employee to the most profitable customer, and, I would argue, the lowest paid employee always got priority because it was the right thing to do. Ultimate never had a layoff and committed, publicly, to never having one. Ultimate paid for 100% of healthcare for its employees and their families from the day it was founded. Ultimate increased its 401k match over time, even when it was already wildly above industry standards. Ultimate paid for funeral expenses for every employee who passed away. And at the end of the day, Ultimate valued its employees and treated them with respect - we were, if not a family, at least a group of people who were deeply dedicated to helping each other and thriving together. I had the most fulfilling work experience of my life at Ultimate. I felt trusted, valued, and cared for. I woke up excited for work most days. I made lifelong friends and worked with some of the most passionate, intelligent people I have ever met. We were united around doing something amazing together, which led to a culture that truly, honestly, was excellent. That is not the case anymore. One only has to look at the composition of our executive levels to see the beginning of the end. They are ALL Kronos executives. Where once there was diversity of thought AND diversity of ethnicity and gender, we now have little to none of either. What's it like to work at UKG? Go back in time 20-30 years. Put authoritarian boomers in charge of everything. Employees are now numbers, data points on a spreadsheet that don't matter except in how they can provide more value at less cost. Watch as leadership chooses to run their new, larger, and incredibly more complex company in exactly the same way that they ran their mid-sized timekeeping company for the last 20 years. Watch that fail. Try to teach, share, and collaborate and instead deal with politics, power grabs, and black and white thinking. Watch as the failure to learn, to adapt, to even acknowledge another way of doing things causes an erosion in both the quality of the product and the quality of the service provided to customers. Watch as top talent drains away at a trickle and then a rush (or is aggressively driven out because they dared to push back against the status quo). Watch those jobs become outsourced to India, then rinse and repeat. Is UKG a generally bad place to work? Even after writing everything above... Not really, if I'm honest. There is real opportunity for growth over the next few years as well as the promise of stability that a company of this size typically offers. The amazing Ultimate benefits were kept (for now). Some parts of the org are more functional and have done better at adapting than others. I am not personally unhappy in my job as it stands, which I hope brings some context to the above word vomit - I am not a disgruntled ex-employee, but someone who has watched this process from beginning to end and still somehow has hope, even though it's small, for a better future. I truly want things to be better; I just don't see that happening anytime soon. Overall, UKG is an okay place to work. Nothing shocking when it comes to corporate America I suppose, and I've certainly worked at worse places than this. But the fact that we are just "okay" makes me sad knowing what was lost. The potential for excellence was there, but if you are looking for the excitement, engagement, and innovation that come with a best-in-class work culture, I'd look elsewhere for now.

345 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0

Great Work/Life Balance

Nov 7, 2022 - Senior Solution Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've loved working at UKG so far. The company has a great company culture and the company provides you with all the resources for you to feel embraced and supported to be successful. It is great to be able to work from home and you're treated as an adult. Your manager does not micromanager your calendar and you have the ability to step out and come back to work whenever needed.

Cons

I'd say it is still too early for me to be able to share anything negative about the company yet. The only thing I noticed is that since the company is growing a lot, ever since I started, an Org Change/Restructured happened which for some more tenured employees could have impacted them for not being able to work with the same manager and teammates but in my case, since I am still a new employee, it did not have a direct impact on me. I would say just stay resilient because changes in a HCM/Tech company like UKG are inevitable. The company will continue to work and evolve. Not necessarily a bad thing.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Truly a great place to work!

Oct 31, 2022 - People Analytics Consultant in Augusta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

My experience so far has been amazing. This is truly an awesome company that really care about their employees, and it shows. Pros: Company culture - They offer UNLIMITED PTO. UKG is all about having a good "Work/ Life Balance". Benefits- Benefits are great and medical is paid100% by the company also offer a very Competitive 401K Plan. Communication- UKG seems to be very good about keeping open communication. There are several weekly touch points and daily newsletters to ensure everyone knows what's going on. They also send out Employee surveys pretty often, they really care about how employees are feeling and want feedback to improve.

Cons

Can't really think of any cons. I mean it's a growing (newly merged) company, so of course there will be challenges but nothing that I could say would be a con for working here.

1 person found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Best place to work. Hand down!

Nov 5, 2020 - Service Specialist II in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Inclusive, People oriented, Smart coworkers and managers make this the best place to want to succeed. They promote self care, and create an environment where it is a joy to come to work.

Cons

No cons for working for this company.

139 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0

Great Interview, Onboarding, & New Hire Experience

Nov 1, 2022 - Services Project Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked at UKG for a few months now and cannot speak highly enough about my experience so far. Everyone in the interview process was extremely welcoming and kind. I've been impressed with the amount of support in new-hire training and as I start to get my first few projects. Leadership takes the time to make sure every single person feels set up for success. And the company, overall, really practices what they preach. Customers are treated at a very high standard and its the exact same quality treatment given to employees.

Cons

Not really a con, but I think the new hire onboarding probably could have taken a few weeks less. I was fine with it, as it meant not trainings were rushed. But the company probably could get value out of their new hires sooner.

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

UKG is beginning to lose it's shine from Ultimate Software

Dec 30, 2021 - Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

45% match 401k 100% paid healthcare

Cons

Raises have been blunted even in a year of high inflation. No more Club No more team trips It feels like the company has started to put people on the sidelines of short term corporate profits less money allocated to promotions

69 people found this review helpful
  10. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Micromanagement at its finest

Nov 18, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Healthcare, dental and vision - 401k match - Unlimited PTO

Cons

- Unlimited PTO is offered, but middle management advises not to approve time off because they think we are abusing it - Only 2%-3% merit rate increase per year - Company says they have made over their goal target for the year, but middle management says there’s no budget to give promotions - There’s a set of promotions allocated per team, so someone deserving on your team may not get a promotion even if they deserve it - Micromanagement at its finest. Badge swipe reports are ran monthly - Forced to be in the office to build a new work culture, but 85% of desks are empty. - High turnover. No new employees are hired. Middle management thinks that the remaining employees can do all the work plus more.

3 people found this review helpful
  11. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Energized for an extended second career!!!

Oct 31, 2022 - Marketing
    Business Outlook

Pros

UKG is perhaps one of the most amazing companies I have worked for in my entire career. The organizational culture is built around united, kind and growing. In my opinion, most if not all companies should strive to achieve these aspirational goals. From compensation and work life balance to diversity and inclusion programs; this organization is on the leading edge of greatness. These values drive high performance professionals to the company like a magnet.

Cons

There is a lot of information to consume on a daily basis in addition to your roles and responsibilities, but is that a bad thing? It is a great deal to sift through and determine which information is most relevant to your work.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 4,515 Reviews