Cover image for UKG

4.1
UKG CEO, Executive Chair Chris Todd, Aron Ain
Chris Todd, Aron Ain
2,437 Ratings

What people are saying about UKG

Join the conversation on

Consulting

5m

works at

UKG

I don’t know how y’all feel about solution consulting in this bowl but I just wanted to give props to my company UKG real quick. Last week they sent out an email reminding us that they’ve been covering travel for medical or reproductive services for years, long before it became a hot button issue. Feels like it’s been important to them for a long time because it’s the right thing to do and not just because everyone else is offering it lately.

Tech

468K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=UKG~7900
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great benefits and provided with all the IT equipment to be able do my job anywhere.(in 707 reviews)
  • "Great Culture and Environment.(in 437 reviews)
  • "Great people (people are genuine and want you to succeed)(in 364 reviews)
  • "Having a good Work/Life balance for everyone is near the top of concerns for management.(in 351 reviews)
  • "employee friendly and very flexible(in 173 reviews)
Cons
  • "Bad management due to bias(in 133 reviews)
  • "Whats that about “People First?” Direct managers have power to do nothing it seems.(in 131 reviews)
  • "Another key element is Krono's weak middle management in which Kronos upper management is blind(&; detached) too.(in 47 reviews)
  • "No Trainings are provided to employee .(in 37 reviews)
  • "Ultimate software merged with Kronos after we were both acquired by a private equity firm but it was not a merge it was a takeover.(in 26 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of UKG and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year
    Featured Review

Some of the smartest, kindest people I've ever worked with

Sep 12, 2022 - Senior Program Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone I've met since I had my first phone screening has been incredibly helpful and wildly good at their jobs. They've got the interview process down to a science. Everyone I talked to before I joined raved about the people and the culture. Now that I'm here at UKG, I can confidently say that this is an insanely smart, hardworking group of people to be working alongside. There is no shortage of professional growth and development opportunities. Our benefits are best-in-class and, in my experience, managers are huge advocates of work-life integration.

Cons

Merging two well-established companies is no easy feat. It's hard to come in new at an organization that hasn't fully established its new identity. The learning curve is extra steep as a result; be prepared to work hard and you will be generously rewarded for it.

Continue reading
    2 people found this review helpful
  2. 5.0

Best job ever

Dec 1, 2022 - Presales Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Unlimited PRO, free benefits, great compensation, room for growth

Cons

Best job I’ve ever had! No cons from me.

3. Join the UKG team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

The Death of Excellence

Jan 13, 2022 - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Best in class benefits (100% employer-paid healthcare and 45% 401k match) - RSUs awarded as a part of performance - IPO coming in the near future - Has embraced virtual work - Tons of growth potential - sales are strong and we are acquiring the right companies to increase our global presence

Cons

How to approach this review? To start, context is key: UKG, or Ultimate Kronos Group, is a merger of two mid-sized, successful HR software companies: Kronos, mainly focused on timekeeping, and Ultimate Software, mainly focused on payroll. Both were well-respected, growing companies with extremely complimentary products but very, very few overlapping customers. The merging of the two companies was an incredibly smart business decision that tapped into a huge amount of potential growth. Truly a match made in heaven! Culturally, however, the merger was one of the worst fits you could imagine. I am a legacy Ultimate employee, and I admit my bias. I started with Ultimate fairly young and experienced tremendous personal and career growth during my tenure there. However, the reason for my bias was a once in a lifetime work experience at what now, sadly, seems to be a once in a lifetime company. Ultimate ranked as the #2 best company to work for in the United States on the Great Places to Work list the year before the merger. This reflected a work environment that went beyond just great perks and benefits. We are talking about a company (and a leadership team) that treated employees with respect, embracing their whole selves and promoting authenticity and diversity at the highest levels. There was a focus on working smarter not harder, embracing innovation, and constantly looking to improve things not just for our customers but for our employees as well. The tagline, "People first," applied from the lowest paid employee to the most profitable customer, and, I would argue, the lowest paid employee always got priority because it was the right thing to do. Ultimate never had a layoff and committed, publicly, to never having one. Ultimate paid for 100% of healthcare for its employees and their families from the day it was founded. Ultimate increased its 401k match over time, even when it was already wildly above industry standards. Ultimate paid for funeral expenses for every employee who passed away. And at the end of the day, Ultimate valued its employees and treated them with respect - we were, if not a family, at least a group of people who were deeply dedicated to helping each other and thriving together. I had the most fulfilling work experience of my life at Ultimate. I felt trusted, valued, and cared for. I woke up excited for work most days. I made lifelong friends and worked with some of the most passionate, intelligent people I have ever met. We were united around doing something amazing together, which led to a culture that truly, honestly, was excellent. That is not the case anymore. One only has to look at the composition of our executive levels to see the beginning of the end. They are ALL Kronos executives. Where once there was diversity of thought AND diversity of ethnicity and gender, we now have little to none of either. What's it like to work at UKG? Go back in time 20-30 years. Put authoritarian boomers in charge of everything. Employees are now numbers, data points on a spreadsheet that don't matter except in how they can provide more value at less cost. Watch as leadership chooses to run their new, larger, and incredibly more complex company in exactly the same way that they ran their mid-sized timekeeping company for the last 20 years. Watch that fail. Try to teach, share, and collaborate and instead deal with politics, power grabs, and black and white thinking. Watch as the failure to learn, to adapt, to even acknowledge another way of doing things causes an erosion in both the quality of the product and the quality of the service provided to customers. Watch as top talent drains away at a trickle and then a rush (or is aggressively driven out because they dared to push back against the status quo). Watch those jobs become outsourced to India, then rinse and repeat. Is UKG a generally bad place to work? Even after writing everything above... Not really, if I'm honest. There is real opportunity for growth over the next few years as well as the promise of stability that a company of this size typically offers. The amazing Ultimate benefits were kept (for now). Some parts of the org are more functional and have done better at adapting than others. I am not personally unhappy in my job as it stands, which I hope brings some context to the above word vomit - I am not a disgruntled ex-employee, but someone who has watched this process from beginning to end and still somehow has hope, even though it's small, for a better future. I truly want things to be better; I just don't see that happening anytime soon. Overall, UKG is an okay place to work. Nothing shocking when it comes to corporate America I suppose, and I've certainly worked at worse places than this. But the fact that we are just "okay" makes me sad knowing what was lost. The potential for excellence was there, but if you are looking for the excitement, engagement, and innovation that come with a best-in-class work culture, I'd look elsewhere for now.

353 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Still lovin' it

Dec 1, 2022 - Principal Technical Support Engineer in Lowell, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Senior management does a great job of communicating the goals, strategies and progress of the company. Company really pushes diversity, equity and inclusion. Colleagues are kind and conscientious and help each other grow.

Cons

Integrating products and services after merger has been challenging, but is heading in the right direction.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee

Collaborative Team Environment, Great Culture

Dec 1, 2022 - Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Have worked here for 7 years and has been a terrific learning ground to support me in building and growing my career. I work with so many extremely talented and supportive people, from the beginning I've felt a strong sense of belonging and encouragement and work every day to carry that forward.

Cons

It can get very busy at times as the company has grown non-stop since I joined, there's a lot of change to keep up with but that also keeps it interesting and there's always opportunities to learn new skills.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee

great company

Nov 28, 2022 - Cloud Support Engineer in Lowell, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

work flexibility and benefits. Great company to work at

Cons

no cons that I can say here

8. 5.0

Great Company

Nov 29, 2022 - Lead Systems Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Get company Our Purpose is People - great benefits - benefits, 401K, RSU's

Cons

May require long hours during peak season

9. 5.0

Great Product/Great Salary/Great Team

Nov 29, 2022 - Solution Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Strong benefit plan paid by UKG, Team Mentality, Strong Pay

Cons

Very project driven and can be stressful at times.

10. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company

Nov 21, 2022 - Analytics Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company, supportive coworkers and managers.

Cons

I left because I wanted to change my career path, didn't have anything to do with the company or my coworkers.

11. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Nov 21, 2022 - Lead Solutions Support Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

UKG is a Great Company! Employees are treated great We form great Teams Lot of collaboration within the teams and company wonderful benefits very fair and competitive pay many groups and teams to interact with various other employees very charitable keeps everyone well informed

Cons

The only con I have is I did not find this company and job 10+ yrs ago

Continue reading