UL Reviews | Glassdoor

UL President and CEO Keith E. Williams
Keith E. Williams

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance notin alignment" (in 23 reviews)

• "Upper management prefers people who fall in line" (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Company with a mission to make the world a safer place + great people and support"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at UL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I wasn't very familiar with UL before a friend referred me to a job there so I wasn't sure what to expect. From my initial conversation with the recruiter, throughout the interview process and now having been there a year, I have been really impressed and feel so fortunate to be working here. The people are incredibly passionate, polished, competent and a real mix of ages/backgrounds. The company is fascinating - such interesting work + it feels great to be working for a company that's making a true impact on peoples' lives. You can feel that the company is global. You get to regularly work and partner with global colleagues so it's great to learn and understand different market nuances. And the business continues to build on its legacy product safety testing into all things digital, environmental, mobile and software - feel like I learn something new everyday.
    I have never felt so welcomed and supported joining a company. When I'd only been there a couple months, I came in on my birthday and my colleagues had decorated my office and had a big birthday breakfast waiting for me. I had no clue they even knew it was my birthday - let alone the effort to so something special for me. It's a very "human" company - a real happy medium between interesting work and the drive for business results but done with a people-focused touch.
    Oh, and the benefits are great too - 5% 401K company match + the company puts another 4% in after 12 months. And the medical is great too - paying much less for better coverage than at previous employers. Plus, they just launched a new benefit - 2 days off/year to do volunteer work.

Cons

Nothing - great compared to other places I've worked

Advice to Management

Thank you for the opportunity and support!

2. "Project Specialist"

I have been working at UL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to collaborate with different teams and utilize different skill set.

Cons

I have no cons about the company.

3. "Get out"

I have been working at UL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the people who work here are great

Cons

Can't keep young people
    Benefits are below par
    Salary is below average

Advice to Management

Give people more opportunities for development.
    Stop making software changes that slows down productivity
    Have the other departments support engineering and not the other way around, without the engineers' service there is no UL.

4. "Associate Project Engineer"

I have been working at UL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Work life balance. People are friendly and great to work with.

Cons

Pay is under the market average, there is no growth within the company.

Advice to Management

Compensate employees who advance their professional career.

"Engineer"

I have been working at UL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the greatest employees I ever met work here
    Work from home option is convenient

Cons

Pay is below average
    Favoritism is high and usually benefits the laziest employees
    Management only sees revenue by month and emphasizes this over everything else
    Benefits lacking in comparison to companies our size
    Some managers refuse to promote hard working employees just to save money --> leads to losing young employees

Advice to Management

Encourage new ideas and hard work
    Give raises based on performance and not favoritism
    Listen to the engineers because they are the ones that generate the revenue and use other departments to support them as needed
    Budget your revenue better and don't punish the workers because they aren't the ones spending it.

6. "Layoffs/Layoffs and Layoffs!"

Former Employee - IT Analyst in Franklin, TN
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Franklin, TN

I worked at UL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best benefits I have seen so far. Employees were very friendly when the company was doing good!

Cons

There has been lay offs in the Franklin location from last 2 years every Quarter. The upper management are trying to fix the Budget issues with Layoffs which doesnt help. The Products will be either sold out out to a different company or will be decommissioned very soon! Stay away from this company if you are in Franklin Location. Freeze Freeze!!!!

Advice to Management

The ship is going to sink very soon. Try to come up with a better approach rather than laying off people.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Franklin, TN
    Former Employee - Manager in Franklin, TN

I worked at UL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The lower level employees that work at the company are amazing. Considered them to be family and because of them made it very hard to leave the company.

UL EHS Sustainability in Franklin, is attempting to fix their culture. They have installed a shuffle board in the kitchen to encourage lunchtime activities, they have a ping pong table in an office room.

Cons

Higher up executives prefers people to be in the office always and walk around to see who is on time or who is working late. Upper management prefers people who fall in line. New ideas are not encouraged. Direct manager did not encourage development and felt threatened by the relationships formed.

Specifically UL EHS Sustainability, NOT UL in Chicago, does not know who they want to be. After acquiring a company in England to stay afloat they additional solutions. This changed how the company operated and they are still figuring it out.

Because it is an international company there is little work life balance. One typically wakes up to emails and goes to bed with emails. It can be very stressful.

Advice to Management

Be open to ideas from your team. Good or bad its a different perspective. Be open to grooming your employees and give them opportunities to improve. Don't hold grudges. People mess up and it doesn't help anyone if you hold onto that 3,6, 9 months down the road. Your employees are adults , don't treat them like children.

8. "Intern"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Melville, NY
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Melville, NY

I have been working at UL (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly work environment
    Good work life balance

Cons

none that I had experienced

"Politics galore and a systemic lack of focus on not treating people like units of production"

Current Employee - Engineer in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at UL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Decent pay
    - Plenty of work
    - Interaction with clients
    - Peers are invested in your development
    - Better than bad

Cons

- Watched the movie office space, and then realized it was literally the same.
    - Positive/negative experience varies wildly between departments/groups
    - Couldn't retain younger staff to save their lives
    - Can't see past this month's revenue
    - Management is constantly running around with their hair on fire because their section didn't meet goals that management set without acknowledging the market or the revenue capacity of those in their charge
    - Revenue as the only metric of growth, and they refuse to look at anything else
    - "Trail by fire" as a training policy
    - Management treats training new staff like a new years resolution. Encourage it until they feel good about themselves, and then demand that more experienced engineers get back to producing revenue, leaving new staff drowning in the deep end
    - Management will listen to complaints, but turn into yes-men as soon as anyone higher up the ladder disagrees
    - Incredibly strong silo mentality between groups despite having the motto "One UL"
    - Tolerate abusive management and politics
    - Have built a new lobby, cafeteria, and road, and have spent millions of dollars hosting Golf tournaments instead of updating 50 year old labs, backing the retirement plan, or investing in the staff

Advice to Management

- Your lowest tier is who actually produces the revenue. The engineers, the lab techs, the auditors, the salespeople... You need to start listening to them and start ignoring the next shiny thing. Treat them like they matter, and you'll actually start retaining younger people again.
    - Introduce systemic rewards for building up new staff and remove any punishments for temporarily reduced revenue as a result of it.
    - Flush out the bloated management roles
    - Actively reject all forms of gossip and malicious politics. Don't just say say people should, and then put your head back down and accept your fate

"Project Handler"

Former Employee - Project Handler in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Project Handler in Allentown, PA

I worked at UL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work environment, fun atomosphere

Cons

poor benefits, micromanagement, lack of proper training

Advice to Management

fully train your employees before handing off large customer accounts