UL Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
UL President and CEO Keith E. Williams
Keith E. Williams

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "To some extent there isn’t a great pressure or urgency so it means work/ life balance is good" (in 51 reviews)

• "They provided an excellent remote work environment to complete my tasks" (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance notin alignment" (in 21 reviews)

• "Upper management is pathologically focused on money" (in 17 reviews)

1. "Company with a mission to make the world a safer place + great people and support"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at UL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I wasn't very familiar with UL before a friend referred me to a job there so I wasn't sure what to expect. From my initial conversation with the recruiter, throughout the interview process and now having been there a year, I have been really impressed and feel so fortunate to be working here. The people are incredibly passionate, polished, competent and a real mix of ages/backgrounds. The company is fascinating - such interesting work + it feels great to be working for a company that's making a true impact on peoples' lives. You can feel that the company is global. You get to regularly work and partner with global colleagues so it's great to learn and understand different market nuances. And the business continues to build on its legacy product safety testing into all things digital, environmental, mobile and software - feel like I learn something new everyday.
    I have never felt so welcomed and supported joining a company. When I'd only been there a couple months, I came in on my birthday and my colleagues had decorated my office and had a big birthday breakfast waiting for me. I had no clue they even knew it was my birthday - let alone the effort to so something special for me. It's a very "human" company - a real happy medium between interesting work and the drive for business results but done with a people-focused touch.
    Oh, and the benefits are great too - 5% 401K company match + the company puts another 4% in after 12 months. And the medical is great too - paying much less for better coverage than at previous employers. Plus, they just launched a new benefit - 2 days off/year to do volunteer work.

Cons

Nothing - great compared to other places I've worked

Advice to Management

Thank you for the opportunity and support!

"Backstabbing and politics"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at UL full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company has a strong mission with lots of potential. Was at one time a great place to work...

Cons

Some of the business leaders are incompetent and are only able to stay in their positions because they are very skilled at deflecting blame onto their subordinates and are not held accountable by senior leadership. Also another big problem is legacy employees with no skills have been promoted to leadership positions and have no business being there. In general there needs to be more accountability for the senior leaders and changes made to put people with skills and talent in those roles.

Advice to Management

Hold everyone accountable with measurable metrics that drive the right behavior. Take a hard look at who is in leadership positions throughout the company and assess whether they truly have the skills to be in those positions.

"Proceed with caution"

Former Employee - Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at UL full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

No different than most other places now

Cons

Focus is on shifting as much work as possible overseas, regardless of clients needs.

"Senior Technical Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Enfield, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Enfield, CT

I worked at UL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good learning experience notably in areas related to my specialty.

Cons

Salary inequity is a huge problem there. Very poor teamwork and management only makes thinly veiled attempts at improvement but appears to be satisfied with constantly declining employee feedback reports. This company also enforces pay rate ranks. Information they hide until one reached their upper limit then regardless of performance rating cannot get compensation increases and are then told that it is virtually impossible to have their pay rate classification upgraded. Mid level and upper management also turn a blind eye to some poor performers and problematic staff and the reasoning appears inexplicable to the rank and file.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect and stop picking out favorites to benefit. During my time there I've seen the incompetent promoted and retained and the highly competent and loyal fall victim to this management policy. The staff sees it and if there is nothing done about it performance suffers greatly.

"Review for UL EHSS - Peter Principle at Work"

Current Employee - Business Development in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Business Development in Nashville, TN

I have been working at UL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Brand recognition in certain industry sectors
    * Some of the smartest minds work in some of the divisions (outside of UL technology division)
    * Some of the mid level managers and lower level staff are fantastic and are probably the smartest and hardest workers I have seen.

Cons

* The business unit is lead by a set of executives and senior managers who do not have experience leading or managing businesses.
    * This unit is basically a part of the UL business focused on technology, a mish-mash together through acquisitions. If you want to know how not to integrate your acquisitions, UL EHSS would be your stand out example.
    * Business partners are treated as if they are easily replaceable. Due to senior management's inexperience and inadequate structure (as a result of the poor integration) leads to many a business partner feeling like they got a raw deal.
    * The inexperience of the senior management also leads to challenges for internal mid managers who want to do the right thing.
    * Limited to no long term planning.

Advice to Management

Advice is best served for people who know what they do not know and seek to remedy it.

6. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at UL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, corporate is focused on customer commitment, employee satisfaction, and driving internal career development plans

Cons

Going through some senior mgt changes

Advice to Management

Take career devlopment to next level, provide mentorship

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Communications Manager in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Communications Manager in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at UL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

UL is a great place to work. There is an overall feeling that people should be themselves and bring their best self to work. The employee benefits are good, you can work from home as needed, great medical benefits and tuition reimbursement.

Cons

No big cons. We just need to continue reaching for the stars.

8. "Marketing"

Current Employee - Marketing in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at UL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture and coworkers in my department are great.

Cons

The location makes my commute difficult.

"Too focused on revenue, not on people"

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at UL full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good salary & benefits, lots of great people to work with & a great mission. recently introduced more flexible work, but may not be implemented consistently or in all areas

Cons

such a big company there's lots a variation; some management can be difficult and morale is often not a priority. short-term thinking by focusing on near-term revenue.

Advice to Management

make the process and the people your focus, not short-term revenue. the way you treat employees is how they will treat customers. need better communication between managers & staff.

"Avoid EHSS Division - Takes 6 managers to screw in a light bulb."

Current Employee - EHSS Team in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - EHSS Team in Nashville, TN

I have been working at UL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, OK pay and a great logo for your resume. There are some absolutely brilliant people who work on the technical side of the house. You can do very interesting work here if you are in the right division. (see cons)

Cons

Do not, under any circumstances, take a job with EHSS. This is their software division which has been cobbled together by a less-than-competent executive team from several small software acquisitions. In particular, sales team is horrible and the management is a bunch of unqualified corporate climbers who are seriously clueless about what the business is. Turnover, especially in sales and sales management is well over 50%. I have been here less than a year and have seen 3 different sales managers. Each less qualified and stranger than the next. They then get summarily fired three months in which gives the management team yet another excuse to miss quota. Also, they promoted a bunch of leaders from other divisions and tried to plug them in. None of them have taken the time to learn the business, instead, they spend all of their time having meetings about meetings, making 'play books' and adding zero value. They are short handed on technical staff and PMs, but will send 5 sales/program managers/account reps to client events and meetings that produce not one cent in revenue. One Global account has no less than 7 managers, two from EHSS, none of which can execute on a single thing the client needs to get done. The contracting process, billing and accounting are all an absolute nightmare to navigate.

Advice to Management

Either sell of EHSS or get better leaders. Stop rewarding climbers with jobs they cannot possible do well.