UL Reviews | Glassdoor

UL President and CEO Keith E. Williams
Keith E. Williams

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work / life balance can be improved" (in 24 reviews)

• "Upper management prefers people who fall in line" (in 20 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Company with a mission to make the world a safer place + great people and support"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at UL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I wasn't very familiar with UL before a friend referred me to a job there so I wasn't sure what to expect. From my initial conversation with the recruiter, throughout the interview process and now having been there a year, I have been really impressed and feel so fortunate to be working here. The people are incredibly passionate, polished, competent and a real mix of ages/backgrounds. The company is fascinating - such interesting work + it feels great to be working for a company that's making a true impact on peoples' lives. You can feel that the company is global. You get to regularly work and partner with global colleagues so it's great to learn and understand different market nuances. And the business continues to build on its legacy product safety testing into all things digital, environmental, mobile and software - feel like I learn something new everyday.
    I have never felt so welcomed and supported joining a company. When I'd only been there a couple months, I came in on my birthday and my colleagues had decorated my office and had a big birthday breakfast waiting for me. I had no clue they even knew it was my birthday - let alone the effort to so something special for me. It's a very "human" company - a real happy medium between interesting work and the drive for business results but done with a people-focused touch.
    Oh, and the benefits are great too - 5% 401K company match + the company puts another 4% in after 12 months. And the medical is great too - paying much less for better coverage than at previous employers. Plus, they just launched a new benefit - 2 days off/year to do volunteer work.

Cons

Nothing - great compared to other places I've worked

Advice to Management

Thank you for the opportunity and support!

2. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at UL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A very good company to work for. Management is very supportive

Cons

Globalization of the company.

3. "Thumbs up."

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at UL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance, fun working environment, intriguing product testing done all around the campus, people work here for a long time, upper management prioritizes communication

Cons

Complex organization that is rich in both history and often-complicated systems hard to understand end-to-end

"Decent pay and benefits, if you can handle the rest of it."

Former Employee - Project Engineer, Senior in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Project Engineer, Senior in Northbrook, IL

I worked at UL full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay and bonuses. (but once you've lasted about 10 years, you have to take a hit to leave)
    Decent health care plans and HSA matching
    Recently adjusted their work at home and maternity/paternity policies, very generous.

Cons

Upper management talks a good talk, likes ribbon cutting and publicity when counterfeit products are found, but mainly focus figuring out how to continue restructure into a public company and cash out.
    Most middle management knows nothing about the products and industries they serve.
    Very top heavy. Maybe a 5-1 or 4-1 ratio of employees who actually support product certification and other revenue generating activities, armies of project managers, consultants, trainers, middle managers.

Likes to talk about "one UL", but as soon as talk goes to resources or planning, it's "not my job" or "not out of my budget"

5. "(UL EHS Sustainability) Potential is still there...but need to be proactive in their quest for market share"

Former Employee - Sales in Franklin, TN
    Former Employee - Sales in Franklin, TN

I worked at UL full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people and fun loving bunch. A lot of passionate and smart people at the business. Fantastic benefits and many opportunities for continuous improvement, both in and our of the business environment (i.e. Philanthropy)

Cons

Very reactive nature, a "go where the money is" product strategy mentality which sacrificed long-term growth potential. Management stuck in old way of doing business and not willing to listen to those who had a good, clear vision for positive change.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring outside guns who have no experience in the EHS and/or SaaS space. Promote from within and then LISTEN to those people.

6. "It is a good entry level position."

Former Employee - Learning and Development Specialist in Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Learning and Development Specialist in Deerfield, IL

Pros

Work life balance and work from home option.

Cons

Benefits aren’t good unless you enjoy united health care as your only PPO healthcare option.

Advice to Management

Be open minded to change and get to know all of your employees.

"Bloated and Turning Into Their Competition"

Current Employee - Engineer in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at UL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Compensation (To keep you from leaving)
    - Your peers are most likely wonderful

Cons

- Management is completely unattached from what happens day to day
    - Upper-management don't take into consideration how their decisions effect the people on the ground
    - No structured training. "Trial by fire"
    - Expect you to work overtime, but won't pay you for it
    - Incredibly hypocritical policies. "One UL" means we're on the same team, but the silo mentality is incredibly strong.
    - Egos abound

Advice to Management

- Establish a solid mentor-mentee shadowing type training structure. There is so much that goes into these projects that it takes working directly under a competent engineer.

8. "Associate Project Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY

I have been working at UL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Work life balance. People are friendly and great to work with.

Cons

Pay is under the market average, there is no growth within the company.

Advice to Management

Compensate employees who advance their professional career.

"Layoffs/Layoffs and Layoffs!"

Former Employee - IT Analyst in Franklin, TN
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Franklin, TN

I worked at UL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best benefits I have seen so far. Employees were very friendly when the company was doing good!

Cons

There has been lay offs in the Franklin location from last 2 years every Quarter. The upper management are trying to fix the Budget issues with Layoffs which doesnt help. The Products will be either sold out out to a different company or will be decommissioned very soon! Stay away from this company if you are in Franklin Location. Freeze Freeze!!!!

Advice to Management

The ship is going to sink very soon. Try to come up with a better approach rather than laying off people.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Franklin, TN
    Former Employee - Manager in Franklin, TN

I worked at UL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The lower level employees that work at the company are amazing. Considered them to be family and because of them made it very hard to leave the company.

UL EHS Sustainability in Franklin, is attempting to fix their culture. They have installed a shuffle board in the kitchen to encourage lunchtime activities, they have a ping pong table in an office room.

Cons

Higher up executives prefers people to be in the office always and walk around to see who is on time or who is working late. Upper management prefers people who fall in line. New ideas are not encouraged. Direct manager did not encourage development and felt threatened by the relationships formed.

Specifically UL EHS Sustainability, NOT UL in Chicago, does not know who they want to be. After acquiring a company in England to stay afloat they additional solutions. This changed how the company operated and they are still figuring it out.

Because it is an international company there is little work life balance. One typically wakes up to emails and goes to bed with emails. It can be very stressful.

Advice to Management

Be open to ideas from your team. Good or bad its a different perspective. Be open to grooming your employees and give them opportunities to improve. Don't hold grudges. People mess up and it doesn't help anyone if you hold onto that 3,6, 9 months down the road. Your employees are adults , don't treat them like children.