UMAI Restaurant Reservation Reviews | Glassdoor

Jonas Chelbat

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"BD Analyst"

I worked at UMAI Restaurant Reservation full-time

Pros

Good Learning Experience
    Get out as much as you put in

Cons

More focus on HR and people keeping people within company would help.

Aug 17, 2018

We appreciate your feedback and value your insights about the experience with us.

Over the past few months have enlarged our people and culture team in order to able to continue to build an... More

2. "Great company, great people, fun and exciting startup!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at UMAI Restaurant Reservation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked with some of the most hard-working, smart, and kind people at this company with a very steep learning curve and every day makes you sharper.
    You'll make lifelong friends

Leadership genuinely cares about employees, the company is constantly making updates to better suit employees needs and wants e.g. BBQ nights, Lunch&Lean Session, flexibility in working hours or purchase of hardware etc.

The co-founders are amazing, you can tell how passionate they are about the company and can see their vision (it does seem like the passion does stop with them though).

No one holds it against you if you take a chance on something and it doesn't work or fails.

Flat Hierarchies.

Extremely fast paced environment but, as a pro, if you stay you will gain some important skills and experience.

Plus it's right within walking distance of a ton of good restaurants and you can go out whenever for food/snacks.

Cons

There is a lot of change constantly - not necessarily a bad thing, not for everyone though.

Mediocre startup salary. You need to be mission driven - not money driven to be part of this team.

"This is startup, where not a single full-time employee left the company the first 12 months - GREAT company"

Current Employee - Product Team in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Product Team in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at UMAI Restaurant Reservation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people working at UMAI are absolutely amazing individuals. I think there's something like 15 nationalities.
    The opportunities to learn are unrivaled. You are given responsibility and have some of the smartest people I've ever met all willing to help you achieve your tasks and more.
    Lastly: The amazing culture of wanting to be better, while also having fun. The atmosphere is great! There's no strict culture, no dress codes, we have beers together at the end of the week, but more importantly we actually all help each other with work & personal growth.

I just read through the other reviews, and I'm amazed at how many of the negative ones look like they were written by the same person, seems ... odd. ;-)

The reality is the company has a special "tech company" status in Malaysia, so they get visas with ease, simply look up the employees on LinkedIn and ask them directly if this is the case, don't take my word for it.

Regarding the lack of career opportunities, how do you expect to "advance" in a company of 10-15 people? If you're a full time employee you're already running the show for the area you work in - absolutely ridiculous.

Cons

The main downside is the salary. But this is known beforehand, and in my case it was expected due to the fact that it's a startup, not a profitable mega company.

However, there are decent compensations, like discounted gym memberships and discounted lunch arrangements. The location is also absolutely amazing, only 200 meters from the Petronas Twin Towers (worlds tallest twin towers)

Advice to Management

Just keep improving & listening to your employees. Don't let the negative reviews on here get you down ... there's always gonna be haters, and all they do is hate & lie - focus on building & improving and UMAI will flourish, no matter how hard the rotten apples try and make sure it doesn't

"Full on startup spirit, great place to learn and continuous growth"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at UMAI Restaurant Reservation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Transparency
    Work-Life Balance
    Competitive salary
    Opportunity of Growth
    Team events

Cons

The company is growing, need a bigger office

"Waste of time"

Former Employee - Internship in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Former Employee - Internship in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I worked at UMAI Restaurant Reservation part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is sometimes fun during company retreats and meeting people. Malaysia is also a nice country to stay in with good yet cheap lifestyle.

Cons

The company however offer no learnings. It is very messy and for weeks you are assigned with baseless projects which is never even looked at by the founders. It is given just to occupy your time. All the work given to us is not thought through and I feel people are hired without any plans for them. It was waste of 4 months, learned nothing. This time could have spent interning at a different and more structured company. Time is limited and I would request interns not to waste their time here.

Advice to Management

Please plan before hiring. The salary offered is very low for the benefits promised and not delivered. You must also set realistic goals, and not unachievable goals.

"Excellent Experience... but not for everyone"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I worked at UMAI Restaurant Reservation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Lots of project ownership: regardless of your position, you get thrown in the deep end. Expectations are high, but people are supportive and constructive and the work is interesting. The company is also in an exciting phase of growth

-Friendly, cooperative team culture: the people are what makes the company great. Can't stress this enough. I've never been in a company where peole get along so well, and certainly the most competent i've come accross in Malaysia since i've been here, on all seniority levels (keep in mind i'm not a local and havn't met every company in Malaysia :) )

-Experienced management team: you'll notice this pretty quickly if you've worked at other startups.

Cons

-Financial situation: In the year and a half I worked there, my salary was late... twice. Before I left they closed a big round of funding (don't think i can say how much), so I expect this is no longer an issue

-Low salary: its a startup in Malaysia, so don't get your hopes up too high. I don't know everyone's salary. Some people get well above market, but even this is not enough to save a significant amount if you come from a European county.

-Lack of structure: When I first started there was practically 0 structure in place, which had a negative impact on moral, and a lot of people ended up leaving with a bad taste in their mouth. Its improved on an ongoing basis, but not the place for people who need highly structured and predictable jobs

Advice to Management

Overall, I'm really happy with the experience, and would absolutely do it again. I have some friends i've recommended to interview. It's a good place to work at if you prioritize learning and growth over structure, and relaxed hours.

Continue building more structure into the company. I think I would help you attract and retain a greater number of candidates who have more corporate experiences

"Worst experience of my life"

I worked at UMAI Restaurant Reservation full-time

Pros

young employees
    no dress code in office

Cons

bad management
    no visa given. had to leave within very few months
    unstable employee staff. people always leaving or fired
    low pay
    bad working life balance

"DON'T BE FOOLED!!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I worked at UMAI Restaurant Reservation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Some great people from around the world
    2. Nice office building/location
    3. Kuala Lumpur is a great city to live. Also very well located if you wish to travel across South-East Asia.

Cons

1. Career Opportunities: There is no way up in this company. It's run by people who micromanage, berate, and hold you back. The founders make it a point to remind employees that you work FOR them and not WITH them. Stay away!

2. Compensation & Benefits: Almost laughable salary offered with the expectation of slaving out every day. Salary is late very often (sometimes months), and the company cuts taxes from employees but never pays them.

3. Work/life balance: People don't mind working extra hard/on weekends if they're given something in return - whether monetary benefits, recognition, or more responsibility. Unfortunately, the founders treat employees as dispensable who are fired if they voice a concern. There are some employees (relatives and friends of the founder) who have no KPI's, answer to no one, and come and go as they please.

4. Senior Management: The senior management claim to be serial entrepreneurs whereas, in reality, they're anything but. LinkedIn profiles of the founders are exaggerated and misleading. The companies they founded earlier were all failures (nothing wrong with that), but are never shared in their background story. The founders will go to any length to get things their way - sales employees are constantly taught how to lie in sales meetings, investors are given false updates, product managers are given false job descriptions.
    However, NOTHING comes close to the fact that the company publishes job descriptions with the false promise of providing visas for employees. No visa has been issued so far. There have cases of people being deported from the country which is extremely sad for the employee's future. 90% of the staff work on tourist visas. IF YOU'RE READING THIS, are from a different country, and have an offer from UMAI please get written guarantees or your visa issued before coming to Malaysia. It really is not worth it!!!

5. Culture and Values: The culture they aim to build here is that it is ok to lie, cheat or steal as long as you're not caught doing it. By not paying company taxes ex-employees of UMAI could not get other jobs within the country until taxes were paid. This dragged on for months and the only response from the founders was "we're out of money". Every single 4 or 5-star rating out here has been doctored by the founders and published in-house. It is very obvious, please do not fall for it.

Advice to Management

1. Management needs to be accountable for their actions. When someone is deported you do not only jeopardize their chance to ever work or visit the country but also their passport and their future.

2. Don't lie to clients or employees and expect to never be held accountable. If a person is thrown out of a country, it is because of you!

3. The answer to every problem cannot be "we're a start-up". However big or small - the values of a company should come from the top.

4. Be honest - with clients, employees, on your LinkedIn, and investors.

Nov 8, 2018

This is Jonas one of the co-founders responding.

I'm grateful for feedback on our employee experience in all its forms, but honestly, this review just isn’t truthful or accurate.

Its been... More

"Everything has it pros and cons"

I worked at UMAI Restaurant Reservation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Smart and funny people

Cons

- There's nothing called work - life balance

Advice to Management

Mind your business and let people do there job. Micromanagement is the worst

Nov 4, 2018

Thanks for your feedback and insights.

"Messy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I worked at UMAI Restaurant Reservation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues
    Swimming pool at the office

Cons

Messy
    Unstructured
    Bad management
    No growth opportunities

Aug 17, 2018

Thank you for your valuable feedback and the honesty in your review for us.

We are trying to provide to our team members the best working environment and for us, it is starting with a good team... More