UMBC Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 2, 2017

UMBC President Freeman A. Hrabowski
Freeman A. Hrabowski

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great place to work as a student (in 10 reviews)

• Tuition remission, Time off especially around the holidays and medical benefits are awesome (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • There are no cons to working at this place (in 9 reviews)

• As always, tuition remission is a great benefit to full-time non-contingent employees (in 5 reviews)

1. "Coordinator"

I worked at UMBC full-time

Pros

Small enough to easily know others. Large enough to be intellectually challenging and stimulating. Great students!

Cons

Under resourced. Big aspirations, but funds are not allocated to stated priorities. Not many opportunities to grow since people stay forever and there are a limited number of mid to upper level roles.

2. "Test"

Pros

Not a bad place to work.

Cons

Not the best place to work.

3. "Needs Transparency to Staff"

Current Employee - Staff
    Current Employee - Staff

I have been working at UMBC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Diverse student body. Supportive co-workers. Always busy with ebb and flow of semester. State benefits are decent. Tuition remission is a plus. There are a ton of hard-working people and offices around campus. Free gym usage. I feel safe on campus. Variety of coffee and lunch places.

Cons

President is inspiring, but Provost has little integrity. Provost puts very little in writing. We were told to "make this go away" when a student raised an issue all the way to the 10th floor. Administration wants to hide low staff morale. Eyes roll at "strategic plan" which does not refer to staff. Long-time staff can seem resistant to change/new technology. Administration expects you to answer emails day, night, weekends just because they have poor work-life balance. People can't believe I pay over $300/year for parking.

Advice to Management

Faculty are on a pedestal and staff are the lowlifes even though we are the backbone to your operations. We stay because we believe in the institution but we are disappointed in budget cuts to programs and no salary increases. When president leaves/retires, expect a flood of people to follow. I enjoyed working there for the first few years, but when layers of the onion got peeled back, I've found myself disgusted at leadership. All we can continue to do is serve the students and each other.

"Concerned about current direction"

I have been working at UMBC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Terrific colleagues; a diversity among students that makes the job feel worthwhile; values worth working hard for

Cons

Weak leadership at the upper levels presently. (President strong in charisma, ability and vision, but "hands off" a Provost who lacks all of these attributes)

Advice to Management

Get down from the 10th floor and among your people to realize how many destructive seeds have been sown by feelings of neglect/mismanagement over the past 5 years.

"Ok place to work"

Former Employee - Associate Staff in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Associate Staff in Baltimore, MD

I worked at UMBC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is some schedule flexibility (depending on which category you are in), good environment to teach with nice facilities.

Cons

It is State government, so there is a lot of bureaucracy. Like most higher education places, the politics of faculty vs staff are exhausting. I think there are lots of bad decisions made with staffing, some core services experience too much turnover (like the Registrar). I think that salaries are ok and you should be alright IF you get along with your department, but this is something the University has struggled for years with. Tenure process is ridiculously easy (embarrassing for an honors university), Everyone gets it unless you are just a terrible candidate.

Advice to Management

Better pay. Pay attention to staff. Get rid of meaningless PMPs, they are only used to check the box.

"Great institution, but due for some growing pains"

Current Employee - Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at UMBC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, overall, who care. The institution has an excellent reputation with undergraduate teaching and research. I stand by this. Fantastic leadership academically, overall.

Freeman's leadership and connections/respect externally are a driving force behind this mid-sized institution's accolades and exceptional programs. He has created an environment that values education, inclusiveness, and support for students from all backgrounds to succeed.

Cons

Divisional level leadership is very much hit or miss. Ironically, if you took the years of service of the VPs and Deans across the institution and added them together, it would be three times the age of the institution. Why is this important? Because, if a single leader has been in a position for 30 years, there is an innate ability to adopt status-quo and mediocrity.

This institution suffers from stagnant leadership, which will become increasingly apparent when Dr. Hrabowski leaves.

Note: compensation for non-director level positions is mediocre. Benefits are part of the State system, so they are quite good. As always, tuition remission is a great benefit to full-time non-contingent employees.

Advice to Management

Each division is different, but the same holds true. At the age of 50, there is a certain point where current leadership needs to transition to move forward. As leaders, you need to recognize your place here and when might be an optimal time for you to begin a transition to other opportunities in order to help the university grow.

7. "Good Experience"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at UMBC as an intern

Pros

My time as an intern gave me good experience working in an office environment.

Cons

The upper management does not seem interested in helping students.

Advice to Management

Don't just 'get rid of' students by handing them a brochure and telling them to leave. Talk to them and help them with their problem.

8. "Adjunct English Instructor"

I have been working at UMBC part-time

Pros

Flexibility, small campus environment, students are motivated

Cons

Everyone kinda keeps to themselves, schedules are never consistent

9. "UMBC as a graduate assistant"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at UMBC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

compact campus; relatively less pressure; for the most part, you pressure comes from your advisor. If you got a pushing one, you will work a lot, otherwise you are on your own.

Cons

not much help you can get for your career from alumni etc.. Most senior professors are hard to find since they are too busy. In most cases you don't get to work in a team but on yourself.

10. "Just fine . . ."

I worked at UMBC full-time

Pros

A typical small university environment.

Cons

Organization is bureaucratic and typical for a small university.