UMPhysicians Reviews | Glassdoor

UMPhysicians Chief Executive Officer Barbara Daniels
Barbara Daniels

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "I have not even seen our upper management in months" (in 7 reviews)

• "Management uses their employees for their own benefit - they do not care about employees" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Concierge"

Current Employee - Concierge
    Current Employee - Concierge

I have been working at UMPhysicians part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

help full team, all there to help each other, easy going

Cons

Short staff, Minneapolis site we have to pay for parking

2. "Inspiring Company"

I have been working at UMPhysicians full-time

Pros

Working at an academic health care system is inspiring, the work has purpose.

Cons

Chaotic culture. Unclear strategic plan.

"Good Entry Level Employer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at UMPhysicians full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay even if you don't have a college degree, excellent benefits compared to most employers, learning opportunities available, staff are generally friendly

Cons

Very difficult to take time off, salaried staff expected to work in excess of 40 hours on a regular basis making work-life balance difficult, management allowed to scream and demean staff with no repercussions. My department had a pricey holiday lunch and then we all had to pay our own tab. It was very odd.

Advice to Management

You are training people to go work for other healthcare entities and get better jobs because many of your managers are toxic and you don't do anything about it. Get with it. This is an employee market. You wonder why you are not doing well. Look at your senior leadership. They're positively awful.

4. "Great benefits, but pay is below average"

I have been working at UMPhysicians full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PTO immediately and 401k is great if you work 3 years or more.

Cons

Due to a budget deficit, staffing is short and employees are expected to do more work without any sort of additional compensation. No real room for growth.

Advice to Management

Do more to recognize your employees.

5. "Great benefits, awful management"

Current Employee - Dental Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Dental Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UMPhysicians full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits packages are solid. PTO is very nice. The hours per week are stable and consistent with no nights or weekends.

Cons

Supervisors have no one to answer to and are never held accountable. I have not even seen our upper management in months. They talk a big talk but it's very clear that they have a "closed door" policy. I have never worked for a company that had this much turnover and disfunction. Unfortunately I see it affecting our patients' care on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

Talk to your staff. Don't just take a supervisor's word when they say that everything is running smoothly. Have a presence so your employees know that you care.

"RN Care Coordinator"

Current Employee - RN Care Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - RN Care Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UMPhysicians full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits package. Amazing providers, RN's and support staff.

Cons

Completely dysfunctional administration. Management is too busy, and too far removed to know what is going on with their employees. A lot of gaps in patient care. The left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing. Many incongruencies.

Advice to Management

Management, listen to the staff working directly with the patients. Quit plugging the hole in the dam with bubble gum. Fix the issues and quit taking shortcuts to correct an astronomical budget deficit.

"Stay away!!"

Current Employee - Administrative in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Administrative in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UMPhysicians full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay and good hours.

Cons

Upper management is all about profit! They don't care how long you have been an employee for, they will eliminate your job if need be without understanding the importance of your role for patient care. They are broke now that Fairview has merged with Healtheast. UMMC wanted to take over FV but that didn't happen. FV is funding Healtheast now, which means UMP is going broke and they are making all sorts of cuts. I've been with the company for 4 years, and was just told by HR that my dept is being eliminated. The only way I can get my severance pay is to train the people who are replacing me for one whole month! What a slap on the face! Beware!

Advice to Management

Please put your employees first over profit.

8. "ALL about profit and making managers jobs easier"

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Maple Grove, MN
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Maple Grove, MN

I have been working at UMPhysicians full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Uniform allowance, nice clean building, MOST staff is friendly

Cons

Mgmt has NO idea how to keep employees. There is MAJOR turnover. Morale is VERY LOW. Tattling is encouraged. NO positive feedback. They toss people into departments they are not familiar with - "we will train you" never happens.

Advice to Management

Employees are people with lives and schedules. STOP messing with schedules and hours. Get to know your employees. Give a pat on the back now and again. STAY at work - managers are CONSTANTLY out of the building

"Can't believe how unprofessional and exploitative UMP is."

Former Employee - Patient Representative in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Patient Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at UMPhysicians full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a paycheck I guess.

Cons

If you are not in the union, UMP will walk ALL OVER you. The UMP structure is a bit strange. You can work in a department where some workers are union and others aren't. I happened to work for two different departments simultaneously. I was not in the union. One dpt had union workers, the other had none. World of difference in environments. When I came up for performance review in the non-union dpt, though there had been zero complaints about my performance during the year, surprise surprise ... suddenly I wasn't making enough effort, I was choosing to LEAVE ON TIME for my personal life instead of "doing what it takes." And I received no raise after a year of consistently showing up on time, contributing ideas, putting on a friendly face and really caring about helping our patients.
     At the dpt with union, I got a great review and a raise. Morale was noticeably better than the other dpt.

Advice to Management

To the non-union dpt managers: You acted like UMP marionettes, and it showed. UMP told you what to say and do to deny us raises, and I had zero respect for you after my review. (You better believe all those "mishaps" that suddenly happened in the dpt were directly related to your inability to do what was right.)

"Stay AWAY from UMP"

I worked at UMPhysicians full-time

Pros

The new building looks nice.

Cons

Management in incompetent and the most unorganized I've ever seen in 18 years of working with different companies. Management uses their employees for their own benefit - they do not care about employees. All UMP cares about is money. Stay Far Away from this company.

Advice to Management

Quit.