UMPhysicians Reviews | Glassdoor

UMPhysicians Chief Executive Officer Barbara Daniels
Barbara Daniels

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • upper management is slow with change, it's hard to see where this company is going long term now that the UMP/Fairview merger ended (in 5 reviews)

• Lots of change, hard to be part of decision making unless you're in senior management (in 4 reviews)

1. "Registered Nurse"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UMPhysicians full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best perk of working here is the teaching-learning environment. The providers are always excited and willing to teach others. This helps nurses and other team members to provide exceptional care for our patients. We provide services and and specialty care like no other. It's the best place I've ever worked!

Cons

None - nowhere is perfect, but this place is close!

"Health that doesn't care"

Current Employee - N/A
    Current Employee - N/A

I have been working at UMPhysicians full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

CEO just changed over cause they couldn't sell to Fairview for a nice bonus check
    Occasionally we get days off from disgruntled employees making bomb threats

Cons

Low pay
    Breaks are scheduled
    Management does not care about employees
    Facilities are literally falling apart

Advice to Management

Don't shove employees into a solution that was meant to be temporary

"The reviews don't lie"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UMPhysicians full-time (More than a year)

Pros

competitive pay and benefits package, decent time off.

Cons

TOXIC work culture, incompetent management, gossipy and dishonest. Union!

Advice to Management

stop talking about others, lead, give some direction

"BEWARE"

I worked at UMPhysicians full-time

Pros

Location is great, right on campus and fully accessible via driving, bus, light rail, etc.

Cons

As HR will not disclose this information, please note before accepting a job here that there have been multiple bomb threats in the past few months.
    Culture is horrible
    Management is immature and selfish
    Most employees are selfish and will stab you in the back in a heartbeat

Advice to Management

Fire everyone and start fresh.
    Hire good people who hire good people and let them do their jobs

"HR/Corporate office has TOXIC environment and culture"

I have been working at UMPhysicians full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent 401k match. Plentiful medical insurance options.

Cons

Negative culture based on distrust, gossip, false accusations, and assumptions. There is lack of empathy and integrity. HR experiences high turnover due to poor, unsupportive management, and snide co-workers. I've read all of the organization's reviews prior to mine and the common link is very apparent - HR needs to improve and be accountable. The management is demeaning rather than inspiring or motivating. Their idea of "coaching" is to place blame and shame, instead of inquiring and expressing empathy, and offering to help by provide alternatives or solutions.

Advice to Management

Assume positive intent. Stop pitting team members against each other. Be more mindful in communicating and the delivery of said communication. Own your mistakes and commit to improving. Otherwise, you'll lose quality talent and the high turnover will continue.

6. "RN Care Coordinator"

I have been working at UMPhysicians full-time

Pros

Work with complex patients and get experience with conditions not seen in a typical healthcare setting. Work with some of the top doctors in the state and get to be part of new studies to develop new treatments. I love my coworkers, everyone is passionate about their job!

Cons

Frequent turn over of staff and new managers. Company isn't always the most organized, policies are different at each campus.

Advice to Management

Try to keep consistent with policies through out the MHealth campuses and continue to acknowledge staff for all the hard work they do.

"Decent Benefits, Poor Upper Management"

Current Employee - Ophthalmic Technician in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Ophthalmic Technician in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UMPhysicians full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I work in the ophthalmology clinic and the doctors and my coworkers are great. It's a very interesting place to work especially for an COT who would like to get exposure to every sub specialty.

Cons

The company is apparently not doing well right now. We are told that UMPhysicians is massively in the hole and there is a hiring freeze. We have had multiple staff members quit and have been unable to re hire for their positions. It seems to be difficult to even recruit quality people to work here. Getting to the office and the parking is an enormous pain. Parking is partially paid for but the employee does pay for parking. There isn't any room in the close ramps for new employees - they have to get on a waiting list for a closer ramp and park in one that isn't even on the U campus over a mile away and either walk or take a shuttle. The upper management here seems to have no idea what is actually going on in the clinics, in my opinion. There are so many "big picture" things they seem to work on that aren't relevant to the certain smaller clinics. Our managers are in CONSTANT meetings and really don't have much of a presence in the actual clinics. There is a lot of waste via purchasing equipment that is not wanted/needed and then on the flip side not purchasing things we do need. For a university setting I would appreciate better equipment to work with - our topographers are a complete joke. I don't know how we run a cornea clinic with the equipment we have. Our wait times in the clinic are absolutely horrendous due to the ratio of staff-patients. We charge a lot of money for eye examinations and our pay doesn't reflect that. The benefits are decent but not nearly in line with places like Health Partners, Park Nicollet, Allina, Fairview, etc. Those places all pay way more for ophthalmic technicians as well. Overall it isn't a bad place to work, there are lot of things that need to be worked on but I'm hopeful they can change. It would be a great place to start out and get a lot of experience if you don't mind the parking situation.

Advice to Management

Stop putting so many needless extra work on employees. Let them do the job they are hired to do. Nursing staff and technicians shouldn't be spending time setting goals and doing audits - that is what management or compliance should be doing. All of these things take a lot of time that we are already pressed for. We are under staffed and under appreciated and given a ton of busy work. If you want the patient care experience to be better, let the clinics each handle themselves and do what they need to do for their clinic and stop micromanaging everything.

8. "Lab Technician"

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at UMPhysicians full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly Staff, benefit is competitive

Cons

Lots of process improvements assigned to staff, pay rate

9. "Ok"

I have been working at UMPhysicians full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, flexibility, discount parking, good part of mpls to work in

Cons

No accountability. Management is incompetent and extra work is given to you because of this. Lots of talk but no action. Management wants to be involved in everything but does nothing. Pointless meetings all the time.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and don't ask for advice or suggestions for improvement if you're going to not listen.

10. "Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Patient Financial Services/Refunds in Brooklyn Center, MN
    Current Employee - Patient Financial Services/Refunds in Brooklyn Center, MN

I have been working at UMPhysicians full-time (More than a year)

Pros

work is challenging and keeps me on my toes, and the benefits are great

Cons

nobody works together in Patient Financial Services

Advice to Management

Listen to what your employees are telling you.