UMT Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Gil Makleff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Consultant"

Pros

Good opportunities to grow career.

Cons

The compensation package could be better.

2. "Great company for the right type of employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at UMT full-time

Pros

Wonderful opportunities for advancement for the right candidates. If you're on the fast track and one of the bosses' favorites, you will be given ample opportunities to shine. The team is made up of smart, diverse guys from all over the world. Socially, a very fun group to hang out with and learn from.

Cons

Emphasis on guys. It's a real boys club. Since the buyout from EY, things may have been forced to change, but my experience was that the few women (always around 10% of the staff and more heavily in administrative than consulting or management positions) were less likely to be promoted or given heavy responsibility.

Advice to Management

Try to see beyond people like you. Diversity comes in many forms, not just cultural. Promote from within and cultivate the talent you have.

"Run for the hills"

Pros

There are none. Its run by a CEO with Aspergers who rants and raves. His lack of interpersonal skill trickles down through the organization like a disease.

Cons

There are too many to count.

Advice to Management

Fire the CEO. Hire a new CEO with charisma and sales acumen.

"great pay, awful work"

I worked at UMT full-time

Pros

UMT Consulting offers great pay but only if you're able to negotiate well during the process.

Cons

The partners there play favorites and only promote individuals they identify very early on who will "promote" the brand well, aka 99% men.

Advice to Management

Understand that the managed service model is for an extremely antiquated tool, so maybe stop taking yourselves so seriously.

"Unengaged, disconnected leadership"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at UMT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

• Pay is competitive and within typical consulting range (albeit the low end)

• If you want to build Microsoft SharePoint and Project Server skills, UMT is a great option

• UMT is rapidly growing – between attrition and growth, there are many opportunities for advancement

Cons

• You will be performing SharePoint or Project Server configuration and implementation work – you will be far from the industry expectations of “management consulting”

• The leadership is not transparent at all and will keep you in the dark until they need you, at which point you will be expected to perform tasks with almost zero training, support, or guidance

• Depending on what client you are staffed with, you may be on more of a staff augmentation type of role – again, definitely not management consulting

• Leadership is somewhat rigid and irrational when dealing with relocation expectations

• No signing bonus

• No relocation bonus

• Questionable future exit opportunities

Bottom line: If you receive an offer from UMT, save it as your backup and keep looking…

Advice to Management

• Distribute a few books on basic leadership

• Engage your employees more

• Make time to listen to employees if they are attempting to escalate partner level issues

"Management consulting (with an asterix)"

Former Employee - M C in New York, NY
    Former Employee - M C in New York, NY

I worked at UMT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good pay
    - Usual consulting perks such as hotel and airline points
    - Colleagues from top schools

Cons

- Management doesn't care about employees. You're just a warm body they want to stick into client accounts and earn billing $. No one cares about your skills, interests etc

- High levels of nepotism/favoritism.

- At least one partner, possibly more, is highly unprofessional and engages in unethical practices for the sake of earning more $ from clients. No long-term thinking at all and is highly underqualified compared to even junior employees.

- High employee churn. Company makes a show about how many new people they are hiring but masks the # who leave. Management actively tries to keep it a secret when someone leaves.

- HR creates unrealistic expectations about the company to prospective employees, which ultimately results in disappointment once they join.

Advice to Management

I'd give advice but I know they do nothing with employee feedback; it's a waste of time.

"Growing Firm with Great Opportunities"

I have been working at UMT (More than a year)

Pros

UMT is a great place to work for those individuals with an entrepreneurial spirit that are motivated by the opportunity to solve complex problems for clients while being a part of a thriving consulting firm. For those with the desire to dream and the energy to do, the growth opportunities at UMT are unlimited. I worked for a large consulting firm prior to joining UMT and while I had a successful career projection, I was attracted to the endless possibilities that UMT offers its consultants in terms of client projects, innovation and entrepreneurship. There’s a saying that UMT is ‘small for the experience - big for the opportunities.’ I’ve found that UMT has a family-friendly culture with a close network of bright colleagues and yet works for several of the largest companies in the world in multiple industries. UMT’s corporate structure has an agility to it that lends itself to being able to recognize and reward hard work and excellence quickly, which other firms have a difficult time competing with. I have always wanted to work for a company that truly challenged me to reach my potential – at UMT I was given a lot of responsibility from the start but was also equipped with great resources to assist me in tackling the learning curve. To me, this is the perfect environment to challenge yourself to think outside the box, be resourceful and see what you can achieve. New ideas are respected and considered which fosters a true sense of teamwork as everyone has the opportunity to add value to the firm. Having worked in consulting for almost a decade now, I can honestly say that I have not come across a better firm to work for than UMT.

Cons

As the firm is in a significant growth phase right now, there are some growing pains as the leadership team manages the growth in client accounts as well as workforce. I think these growing pains are normal and average for a firm that is seeing such success.

"Management Consulting is a reach..."

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at UMT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The salaries can be good for consultants and the yearly meetings at HQ in Manhattan's Financial District can be fun, if for no other reason that it's Manhattan. Co-workers are usually very helpful.

Cons

After many years of focusing on Enterprise Program/Project Management tools, parts of which were sold to Microsoft, UMT decided to change focus to management consulting, while still trying to have a presence in EPM with their UMT 360 tool. If you have worked for or with some of the big management consulting firms, you know that they have (1) a training program and (2) a large library IP that consultants can refer to and apply to a client engagement. In many cases, the templates that had been provided were overwritten accidently because of the rudimentary library structure. While I was there, they barely had IP around EPM, let alone management consulting. There is also heavy focus on upselling, without guidance or strategy, just some Partner saying over and over 'you must meet with the C levels and ...' We had one Partner on an engagement that was so sales focused that the client told us (the consultants) that he was not welcome at meetings and if he showed up, they would cancel the meeting. It's hard to be successful in that kind of environment.

Finally, salaries tend to be good, with nice bonuses. Health insurance is very expensive and HR support minimal.

Advice to Management

Walk the walk. Partners and VPs should be will to train the team and be onsite more, not just exhort them to upsell. Provide useful libraries so that consultants don't have to reinvent the wheel every time they do an engagement.

"A good place to start an operational consulting career, but not otherwise"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at UMT full-time

Pros

- Interesting place to gain deep functional expertise in project and portfolio management and how that can be applicable to both business and IT challenges
    - Preferred partner status with Microsoft

Cons

- Tend to be engaged with a single client for several years, with not much diversification in work
    - Low focus on consulting sales; seems to be only a partner responsibility
    - Very limited to no focus on practice development
    - Good place to work if you are joining as a consultant, not if you are joining at a senior role
    - Potentially months of bench time since active accounts are concentrated
    - A lot of work tends to be staff augmentation though management tries to call it management consulting
    - Career progression model tends to be account focused. So if you are on the wrong account, be ready for years of slow growth

Advice to Management

- Focus on the organization career progression model
    - Avoid staff augmentation work

"No future"

Pros

Ok if you need a green card to get into the u.s.

Cons

No future here. Management is very closed. Look at management team on website. Unless you look like these guys there is no future for you. They just deliver project server, which is in little demand elsewhere. Avoid.

Advice to Management

Become open toother points of view