UMUC Reviews in Adelphi, MD | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
Cons
  • It sometimes feels like a Call Center (in 18 reviews)

• Upper management keeps changing hands so the projects are constantly being changed or forgotten (in 12 reviews)

"Executive Director, Payroll"

Current Employee - Executive Director, Payroll in Adelphi, MD
    Current Employee - Executive Director, Payroll in Adelphi, MD

Pros

Excellent benefits, paid holidays, retirement, paid time-off, tuition remission. UMUC is working very hard to be considered the Employer of Choice

Cons

I think as a predominantly online university that UMUC should allow more than a maximum of two days per week for teleworking as long as the job that is held is considered 100% portable.

2. "English Writing tutor"

Current Contractor - English Writing Tuyor in Adelphi, MD
    Current Contractor - English Writing Tuyor in Adelphi, MD

I have been working at UMUC as a contractor

Pros

Great people to work with. Job is pretty flexible. I work 2 days a week and check in through out the day to see if students have submitted an assignment to be reviewed. WORK is consistent.

Cons

The school doesn't pay much and sometimes I end up reading all of the papers because there is no set time, only days.

3. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Adelphi, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Adelphi, MD

I worked at UMUC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits including tuition benefits for employee & family, Workplace cameraderie

Cons

Small tightly controlled workplace that is fairly risk averse

5. "Overseas Employee"

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Adelphi, MD
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Adelphi, MD

I have been working at UMUC (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company will logistically support all full-time employees. Benefits and compensation is worth working for the company

Cons

Leave amount is a week less than the stateside division compared to the European division. Hard to grow in the company if you do not work in the headquarters located in Germany.

"Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Senior Data Analyst in Adelphi, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Data Analyst in Adelphi, MD

I worked at UMUC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work! Work-Life Balance and Telecommuting are important. Amazing benefits as state employee verses being in private sector.
    Competent and respectful people, relaxed environment, sense of purpose, well organized and managed, highly affordable benefits options, extra benefits through USM, etc.

Cons

Commuting back and forth between the two campus offices can be a bit exhausting at times. No real on-site food options at Adelphi office.

Advice to Management

Amazing place to work and thankful for my opportunity there.

"Manipulative Managers - don't care about students"

Current Employee - Director in Adelphi, MD
    Current Employee - Director in Adelphi, MD

Pros

Benefits, free tuition, paid holidays/leave

Cons

Unfortunately the managers who should care most about the students (Enrollment Management), care the most about themselves and their titles. These folks are overpaid and wasting tax dollars.

Advice to Management

Stop playing politics and do what you were hired to do.

"Linux system administrator"

Current Employee - Linux Administrator in Adelphi, MD
    Current Employee - Linux Administrator in Adelphi, MD

I have been working at UMUC (More than 3 years)

Pros

relaxed environment, great colleagues, made good friends and very nice and caring boss

Cons

nothing that i can think of because overall the management is good

"Great Department"

Current Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant II in Adelphi, MD
    Current Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant II in Adelphi, MD

I have been working at UMUC full-time

Pros

Time off is generous, tuition remission, flexible work schedule.

I believe one's experience differs based on position and department. I work with an eclectic group of individuals, but we mesh very well. A lot of professional expertise and room for growth. No micro managing within our department!

Cons

Not easily accessible by public transportation.

"UMUC Europe Division"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Adelphi, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Adelphi, MD

I have been working at UMUC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most senior staff is very knowledgeable and motivated. They use their knowledge to mentor staff and focus on professional development. The organization is working towards becoming a preferred employer which will be beneficial to employees in the future.

Cons

Unstable working environment with constant transitions and realignment of personnel. The overseas divisions are not taken into consideration when making policy changes and when introducing new procedures. Employees in the overseas divisions are often left feeling under appreciated.

"Experience varies by grade level and department"

Current Contractor - Adjunct Professor in Adelphi, MD
    Current Contractor - Adjunct Professor in Adelphi, MD

I have been working at UMUC as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been an adjunct at UMUC since 2010. I was promoted to adjunct (full) professor from adjunct associate professor in three years at The Graduate School. I largely have complete autonomy over the content and methodology of my courses, so long as the course objectives are met. My program director is tremendously supportive and encouraging - I enjoy working for her. Pay is typical and there is a pay scale that increases compensation depending on academic rank and with the cumulative number of credit hours taught.

Cons

From reports from my colleagues, not all departments allow the same degree of academic freedom. And the worst seems to be in the undergraduate school. My understanding is that courses are canned and the professor has little more to do than monitor discussions and grade assignments. I used to be assigned to mentor new hires on effective DE teaching methodologies (for a small sum $500/semester) but the mentoring program was eliminated in a budget cut.

The new style of management really doesn't include much input from the adjunct faculty - and they make up the vast majority of UMUCs instructors.

Advice to Management

Reinstate the mentoring program. Ensure that the voices of ALL adjuncts (not just a favored few) are considered when making decisions that affect us. Revise pay scales to consider nearby institutions (GWU, JHU, etc.) in determining parity.