UMass Medical School Reviews | Glassdoor

Michael F. Collins

1. "Disability"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Shrewsbury, MA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Shrewsbury, MA

I have been working at UMass Medical School as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Umass is a great place to work

Cons

Its very difficult to be hired permanently

Advice to Management

Change your hiring practices that an employee is in the department longer than 1 year, they be permanent employee

2. "Undergraduate Researcher"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Freeville, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Freeville, NY

I worked at UMass Medical School (Less than a year)

Pros

Great part time experience with lab work. Also one of the few places that will pay an undergraduate to do lab work.

Cons

Not as much biomedical engineering research.

"Postdoctoral associate"

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Worcester, MA

I worked at UMass Medical School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Once you accept the reality that, as a postdoc you are underpaid and undervalued, there are some advantages to working at UMMS. Your experience will vary depending on which professor you work for and the department. I had an excellent boss but the department could be pretty unpleasant.

Basically all newly minted PhDs have to spend 3-5 years (or more) as postdocs before getting a job that allows them to earn more than their cousin who works a toll booth. Nationwide, postdocs are less exploited than they have been in the past, but it's all relative. Postdoc is a training position after all, but the whole academic research system is a pyramid scheme so the number of jobs created pales compared to the avalanche of qualified scientists graduated each year.

There's nothing really special about compensation.Salaries and benefits at UMMS are at the bare minimum levels allowed by NIH.

Cons

Despite the fact that it's a public institution, UMMS aspires to be as rigid and cold-hearted as any ruthless corporation. I was working my tail off into the late hours on an important experiment on my last day so I didn't have the time to clean out my desk or say goodbye to people. My job essentially ended because we ran out of research funding for my position. Despite the fact that no one would need my desk, or locker, the administrators quickly wanted anything of mine removed from the premises. Quite a shock considering I still was on good terms with my boss and coworkers and would still be working to publish an article (without pay) and might have need of some resources.

Advice to Management

Learn to act like human beings. The worst offenders are people who talk a good game when it comes to fairness and genuinely seem appalled when corporate America acts callously towards their employees. The hypocrisy is astounding.

"Very good work/life balance"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Shrewsbury, MA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Shrewsbury, MA

I have been working at UMass Medical School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and medical insurance coverage are comparable however, they offer a lot of plan to choose from which sets them apart from other companies I have worked for. Work/life balance is very good.

Cons

Job security: Job is federal grant acquisition based and could end without notice or could end at the appointed time but if no new grant is acquired to replace the one ending, then layoffs occur. Very hierarchical and employees are not empowered.

Advice to Management

Moving towards a flat organization and empowering employees would help the growth and success of the organization and employee commitment.

5. "Great place to do science"

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Worcester, MA

I worked at UMass Medical School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very collegial and collaborative atmosphere. Opportunities for personal developments.

Cons

People in general are so nice that it makes you unprepared for the world outside.

Advice to Management

None.

6. "Post Doc"

Current Employee - Post Doctoral Fellow in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Post Doctoral Fellow in Worcester, MA

I have been working at UMass Medical School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great working facilities. The hours are flexable and there is a new gym facility open 24h a day. The food provided is healthy and offers breakfast and lunch.

Cons

The facility is located in Worcester, which does have its charm, but night life dosent just happen, you need to go out and find it. The Gym does not have towel service, which is a bit of a pain.

Advice to Management

The new Builing, the Albert Sherman center, is nice, but it seems a little rushed. THere are many improvements to be made. FOr instance the fume hoods should not power down on the weekends.

"HEALTH OUTCOME ASSOCIATE"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at UMass Medical School (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is one of the top institutions in the medical research field in America and around the world . It is a great place to work and grow. I feel proud of this institution because its high quality of service and profesionalism. The enviroment is also very nice and comfortable. UMass is located in a very convenient spot to get to it. They take their job and mission very seriusly and that is an inspiring work place that I will love to work and be part of it. These reasons made UMass one of the most high scale and prestigious institututions that people will love to work for in USA and outside the country.

Cons

Some of the research projects I worked weren´t submitted on time for continuation and get the grants on time. This situation was a great deal concerning for all the former employees.

Advice to Management

Please make planning for renewals for the research projects. That will allow to get the grants on time and it will provide job security for the employees.

8. "Great opportunities, but no work/life balance"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Worcester, MA

I worked at UMass Medical School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced environment, with lost of opportunities to collaborate with different departments. Not boring - something different to do everyday. Technology and equipment available on campus was extremely new/state of the art. Friendly coworkers and staff.

Cons

Extremely demanding and sometimes very stressful; not rewarding. Often expected/required to come in super early, stay late, work on weekends without pay. Parking situation was also a bit of a hassle (had to be shuttled to campus from parking garage, would sometimes take 20+ minutes).

9. "IT intern"

Former Intern - IT Intern in Shrewsbury, MA
    Former Intern - IT Intern in Shrewsbury, MA

I worked at UMass Medical School as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good environment, culture and people.

Cons

I didn't see any cons there. Everything was pretty straightforward. Compensation was low but as intern I couldn't negotiate

10. "UMass Medical School"

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at UMass Medical School part-time (More than a year)

Pros

supportive team environment, always new information to learn, knowledgeable and friendly leadership, the company values education and giving back to society, collaborative faculty, great benefits

Cons

Management needs to provide more growth and learning opportunities, non-competitive salary, there is too much division between departments, poor IT support,

Advice to Management

Management needs to provide their employees with more growth opportunities and higher pay. Management needs to foster collaboration between departments and provide opportunities to interact with one another