UMass Memorial Health Care Reviews | Glassdoor

UMass Memorial Health Care President and CEO Eric Dickson, MD
Eric Dickson, MD

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The multiple critical demands mean that you often cannot give the kind of patient care your would like to give (in 6 reviews)

• Some years non-union employees do not get raises, because union employees get raises (in 5 reviews)

1. "Worthwhile"

I have been working at UMass Memorial Health Care full-time

Pros

Wide variety of career paths & opportunities.

Cons

Not immune to bureaucracy and privedge. Typical for academia & medicine.

2. "Patient Access"

I have been working at UMass Memorial Health Care full-time

Pros

Great benefits in the company

Cons

Need to hire more staff

"Vice President, Marketing, Communications and Development"

Current Employee - Vice President, Marketing, Communications and Development in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at UMass Memorial Health Care full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A community hospital that has a long history of caring for the residents of the community and the community supports the hoapital. Member of UMass Memorial Health Care, largest health care system in Central MA.

Cons

Challenges in health care. State and federal cuts, Labor costs continue to increase, yet reimbursements continue to decrease. Very competitive market.

Advice to Management

Strong leadership and communication skills.

4. "Unit coordinator"

Current Employee - Secretary in Marlborough, MA
    Current Employee - Secretary in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at UMass Memorial Health Care full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good benefits and workers.

Cons

Management is not acceptable and not available

Advice to Management

Increase the work load, increase the pay

5. "supportive envrionment"

I worked at UMass Memorial Health Care full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

supportive environment, great coworkers, good salary

Cons

little flexibility in work schedules

"Management is in "la-la land" at this place"

Current Employee - Physician in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Physician in Worcester, MA

I have been working at UMass Memorial Health Care part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the average folks who work here are fine, and some are extraordinary. This review is about management, which is not fine, and is most certainly not extraordinary.

Cons

I work at a facility owned by and ostensibly managed by UMMHC. I've been there for many years. I have NEVER seen any evidence of active management at either the corporate or the site level (except for constant 'rah-rah' email newsletters. To make matters worse, upper mgmt has subscribed to a program similar to LEAN/Six Sigma, which to my mind is no better than fascist brain-washing (based on positive thinking and failure to recognize real problems). I am only still there because I would have to drive a long way to find a similar job. Despite being 50+ I am now seeking to enter a completely different field which pays a lot less, simply so I can work in a better place. Lastly, the discrepancy between executive salaries (stratospheric) and ordinary salaries (subterranean) at this place is truly alarming.

Advice to Management

Drop the LEAN stuff: it's not real, and it makes people feel unheard. Start really listening to employees for a change (i.e. set up meetings where people can tell you what they think, without all of the current negative consequences of so doing). Consider something as radical as exit interviews to find out what is really going on in the trenches. And stop giving yourselves such enormous, unwarranted salaries, while people on front lines are having trouble making ends meet (and for the record, I am NOT on the front lines -- I have an midlevel position). I would not recommend this place to ANYONE unless you are being considered for a CEO spot, in which case you can make enough in one year to cover your family's expenses for the next 20-30 years, then you can leave, as almost all CEOs here do in 1-2 years. In other words, this place is run like a Fortune 500 corporation.

7. "Overall good place to work"

Current Employee - Epic Applications Analyst in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Epic Applications Analyst in Worcester, MA

I have been working at UMass Memorial Health Care full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great health insurance, good employee benefits/perks

Cons

growing pains - the organization is trying to do a lot in a very short period of time

Advice to Management

Skip-level meetings and opportunities to review team leads / managers should be implemented.

8. "Good Place Overall"

I worked at UMass Memorial Health Care full-time

Pros

My coworkers took some time for me to get used to, but, once I did, I liked them very much. People brought in food that they made. Most of the people were very unselfish and helped out when they could and showed appreciation when you helped them out.

Cons

If you are not in the union, it is hard to get a job, like if you go in as a temp, for example. I found it hard to have to stay in the building as you are given a mere half hour for lunch and I am used to having an hour to go where I want. You have to pay for parking in a lot that is far away from the hospital and have to take a bus in. Also, some management was very easygoing but some of them were too sneaky.

Advice to Management

Don't be so sneaky and let people know in private if they did something wrong rather than calling them out and embarrassing them in front of others.

9. "Medical administrative assistant"

I worked at UMass Memorial Health Care full-time

Pros

Benefits are good, especially health benefits.

Cons

They charge you for EVERYTHING!!!

10. "Cutting Edge Work with Some Flexibility"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Worcester, MA

I have been working at UMass Memorial Health Care full-time

Pros

Flexibility to work remotely as needed, flexible time schedule

Cons

No sick time vs. vacation time bank (all earned time lumped), no guidelines for regularly working remotely