UMass Memorial Health Care Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 12, 2017

Eric Dickson, MD

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The multiple critical demands mean that you often cannot give the kind of patient care your would like to give (in 6 reviews)

• Some years non-union employees do not get raises, because union employees get raises (in 5 reviews)

1. "Good environment, active physicians"

I have been working at UMass Memorial Health Care full-time

Pros

Good benefit, easy going people

Cons

The environment of the organization keeps changing.

Advice to Management

Provide clear goal, learn from other organization that did better.

"Excellent benefits, some really good staffers, confused management and goals often leading to extreme work overload."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Worcester, MA

I worked at UMass Memorial Health Care full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Serving a noble cause, excellent benefits, generally some great colleagues, and the opportunities to improve the health of others.

Cons

Older management style with some dead woods that rose to their level of incompetence, hamping progress, stressing staff, and generating low confidence in their career paths. High turnover of those there over 2+ years. Those who do the least, pass off tasks, and say 'yes' the most push out those of the highest value and integrity. Had to leave after 3 years to save my mental/physical health.

Advice to Management

Not all departments have managerial issues, but most do. To those, I say: Be aware that your success is entirely based on those who serve you. Ask not how you can be served or how good you look but, rather, how you can better serve your staff and make them look good. Not knowing things is normal. Stop with the automatic dissuasion of your staff's efforts and admire their excellence and support them. If, not, you will only look like fools worthy of no one's respect.

3. "RN"

Current Employee - Staff RN
    Current Employee - Staff RN

I have been working at UMass Memorial Health Care part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had a great manager. Good educational support. Good pay and benefits

Cons

A lot of lateral violence with older nurses. A few PCA's are also aggressive towards new grad nurses

Advice to Management

Find ways to recognize that lateral violence is happening within nursing and also take note of PCA attitudes towards new staff especially new grads

"Medical administrative secretary"

Pros

Great place to work, excellent pay and benefits. I enjoyed my job thoroughly and had great rapport with the patients. There were patients who would ask for me specifically because they knew I would go out of my way to help them.

Cons

Not enough staff to provide sufficient coverage for the number of doctors and patients. Union did not help when jobs were lost due to layoffs.

Advice to Management

Replacing experienced staff with non-experienced staff due to saving money on salaries does not equal good patient care.

5. "Good co workers, hospital wide changes hard on nurses"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Marlborough, MA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Marlborough, MA

I worked at UMass Memorial Health Care (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overall the people here are great and the patient care is generally good to very good. They are willing to work with your schedule if any special needs come up. Pay is competitive and better than a lot of nearby hospitals.

Cons

Before the state ratio laws they were tripling up nurses in the ICU, floating to ER a lot without even a 5 minute orientation of how things work, where things are, etc... The EMR they use is time consuming and tedious, taking nurses away from the bedside for much of their shift, numerous charting systems throughout hospital, worst is Sorian, although purportedly they will be switching over to Epic at some point in the future.

Advice to Management

Near constant management turnover and frequent "restructuring" gets tiresome. The upheaval and unknowns, along with the ever dwindling staffing resources are stressful on the patient care providers. Concerns regarding patient care needs not being met due to too many patients per nurse/no secretary/not aide, etc...are by in large ignored. Seat of your pants nursing/just putting out fires and running back to finish charting is not a good for quality of life for staff, and certainly isn't good for the patients. Bottomline: when no one has the time to be at the bedside watching over the patient like they should, really bad things happen and then none of the other things that were done right matter.

6. "CMA"

Former Employee - PCA II in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - PCA II in Worcester, MA

Pros

Not many. Free Jackets every two years.

Cons

The upper management is awful, it's always the clinics faults. Scheduling pod is crazy, they don't even know how to ask a few important questions (i.e. Which side & where it hurts, getting correct contact info). Also the HIPPA voilations EVERYWHERE. Don't be fooled!

Advice to Management

Learn to except your mistakes, and don't blame them on everyone else!!!

7. "PCA- great facility and coworkers, lazy & rude management"

Former Employee - PCA II
    Former Employee - PCA II

I worked at UMass Memorial Health Care full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-friendly coworkers
    -interesting patient population
    -wide acuity of patient ailments
    -nice building
    -easy commute

Cons

-have to pay for parking
    -management hides in their office
    -non open door policy of management
    -was afraid to approach managers for anything
    -poor training
    -lack of organization
    -union allows incompetent people to remain employed

Advice to Management

Keep the door open, read suggestions and act on them, involve staff in decision making, have an active presence on the unit, circulate and ask the staff if they need anything rather than hide in your office.

8. "sr. Medical Administrative assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cherry Valley, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cherry Valley, MA

I have been working at UMass Memorial Health Care (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, bosses, and staff.

Cons

Not much internal growth within.

9. "The job and working with the patients was great. Working with my supervisor and few employees was like school again..."

Former Employee - Patient Registration in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Patient Registration in Worcester, MA

I worked at UMass Memorial Health Care part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The patients, the busy environment, some of the friends I made, always learning something new.

Cons

My supervisor and a few employees had their little posse and would shun and pick on whoever wasn't in it.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on your Supervisors and make sure they are doing their jobs properly so great employees like me do not have to resign from a job I loved to do.

10. "Sr. Charge Processor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

Pros

Flexible hours early morning and out early afternoon

Cons

The pay doesn't seem to compensate for work performed