Cover image for UNC Health

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

UNC Health Employee Reviews about "unc health care"

Updated Oct 14, 2021

Healthcare

21h

an

Other

I’m going to be vague here so forgive me, but need some opinions. I got a Masters in a specialty and have worked in this specialty for 1 year. I was approached on LinkedIn by a recruiter for a position doing the job I was doing prior to my current specialty. This new opportunity has the potential to be a great stepping stone in my career with a better title and way more money but I feel like I’m taking a step backwards by not using my Masters. Would you stay on the path that you went to school..

6 Comments

Healthcare

81.7K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/medicine-2/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=UNC Health~322749
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of UNC Health and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "unc health care"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great job, great flexibility!

Aug 15, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

I can schedule my shifts at any hour of the day/night for whatever length that fits around my other commitments.

Cons

Occasionally have to travel to other UNC Health campuses ~30 minutes away on short notice.

2. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Horrible

Jul 27, 2021 - Technician
    Business Outlook

Pros

Frontline staff are good people to work with along with support staff.

Cons

Leadership from Wesley Burks, Ernie Bovie down to department directors and Managers offer little to no support for Frontline Workers. During Pandemic they have sat at home dictating what frontline workers do at work and during personal time. They have taken away vacation time because of the purposeful staff shortage They have put hiring freezes on compromising patients and staff safety. They will pull at your heartstrings by saying things about caring for the patients in reality they only care about the bottom dollar .Most recent issue is Vaccine Mandates. If you do not comply with getting vaccine you are FIRED! I was once considered to be a healthcare hero but now all healthcare workers are disposable. My advice is to stay away from working at UNC Health system. If you believe in god you definitely will be unhappy here because they believe and force you to believe that there are more than two genders, and that there is systemic racism. If you know god you know he only made one Race and thats the human race. He teaches all humans are to be loved and Charished.

UNC Health Response

UNC Health Talent Acquisition

UNC Health is grateful for the hard work and sacrifices of our health workers during the pandemic. However, we believe that requiring vaccines is in the best interest of public health and is essential for the safety of our patients, teammates and communities. Our employees are the heart of our organization and are crucial to UNC Health's success. As we are always looking to improve as both a company and employer, we recommend open communication with your direct manager.

3. Join the UNC Health team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Wrong Direction

Oct 14, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Allot of great people trying to keep this organization functioning.

Cons

Strategic plan and implementation is a mess. UNC Health has expanded beyond its' ability to maintain a cohesive culture or to function properly. Shared services are overextend and new entities are brought in with what appears to be little consideration for staffing resources. One UNC Health sounds nice, but is not reality.

5. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Good career choice

Jul 16, 2021 - Senior Unix Systems Engineer in Chapel Hill, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

As an employee of the State of NC, this job provided excellent benefits, including a generous retirement plan.

Cons

Over time, UNC Health has transitioned to a new structure. New employees are hired through one of their affiliate organizations and no longer qualify for State Employee benefits.

6. 2.0
    Former Employee

Lack of Diversity within the Workplace, Immature Behavior Among Employees

Jul 31, 2020 - Analyst in Chapel Hill, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

State benefits and free parking.

Cons

- Extreme lack of diversity when it comes to the faculty within the UNC Health Foundation. It became clear during my time there that a lot of the departments take a liking to a certain type of demographic with similar viewpoints. - Tolerance of inappropriate behavior from younger employees seems to be ongoing. I witnessed co-workers act unkindly towards other employees in an effort to isolate them from the team. Gossiping and other non-work related distractions seemed to be ongoing there. - Expectations to volunteer weekends on an ongoing basis for fundraising events seemed inconsistent with job role requirements and created an unhealthy level of competition among employees.

7. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

If you need benefits, it's about the only reason to work here.

Jul 21, 2020 - Residency Coordinator in Chapel Hill, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, it's a job, maybe it's close to where you live

Cons

This place is so bad that if I wrote what honestly happened during my time, there is no way in hell you would believe me. So, I'll say this: you will only want to take a job at UNC Health if you are in desperate need for a job. If you have options, this is not the place for you to work. If you don't believe me, revisit this review after working there for one year and prove me wrong.

UNC Health Response

Thank you for your review and we are sorry to hear your employee experience was not as expected . Please know, our employees are the heart of our organization and are crucial to UNC Health's success. We look to ensure successful careers for all employees. As we are always looking to make improvements as both a company and employer, we will be sure to share these concerns with our Human Resources team.

8. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work...horrible IT Structure

Aug 28, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

UNC Health Care is a great place to work. One of the perks is that they made modifications to the state benefit package to subsidize health care insurance, 401k, etc. to make the benefits package more appealing. As not only an employee, but a patient and a family member of a patient, the place high emphasis on quality of care, which is something that you can pride yourself in as an employee.

Cons

The organization is growing faster that their IT infrastructure can support. Systems go down frequently. There is no career development and growth opportunities. It appears as though the department would rather bring on an external candidate versus promoting someone from within who has already grown accustom to the environment at UNC Health Care, and it's needs. Within my work unit, IT micromanages and makes decisions without thinking of the impact that this will have to the individual support teams. There is no cohesiveness between work areas within IT. Ultimately, I would return to UNC Health Care, but definitely in a different capacity than my previous role.

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

UNC Health Care

Dec 16, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

The work environment was very good. Each employee wants to help the others succeed, and the administrators care about the employees. It's hard work, but its a good environment to work in.

Cons

I don't really have much negative to say about working at UNC health care. The work can be hard and being a state job, raises aren't always the best, but UNC does try to give good benefits compared to other state employers.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

RN

May 7, 2016 - RN At UNC in Chapel Hill, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

the support you receive from the management at unc health care is excellent. you will find encouragement to go back to school for a higher degree, to move up the clinical ladder and to balance work and home life.

Cons

since acquiring several small hospitals unc health care has down graded our pto package to match what is offered at the smaller hospitals now under the unc health care umbrella. this has caused concern in long term employees.

11. 3.0
    Former Employee

Same struggles as most public hospitals, but making a real effort to overcome them.

Jul 23, 2011 -  in Chapel Hill, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great facility and good pay. They are making real efforts to improve the tense culture that can arise from a stressed out work environment.

Cons

Like many public hospitals, too much work to be done by too few people. Management's stress over staying in budget trickles down to the staff. To be fair, this is a US health care system problem and not specifically a UNC Health Care problem.

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 Reviews