UNICEF USA Intern Reviews | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Intern

UNICEF USA Intern Reviews

Updated Apr 25, 2016

Found 5 reviews

UNICEF USA CEO Caryl M. Stern (no image)
Caryl M. Stern
  1. "Intern at US Fund for UNICEF"

Intern in New York, NY

I worked at UNICEF USA

Pros

Beautiful office, helpful supervisors, close knit teams. Everyone cares about each other's work and about UNICEF's mission. They offer travel reimbursement for subways. I was able to be rehired for a second summer. They do a great job at recruiting past interns. I have also used them for informational interviews and they are very open to speaking with me.

Cons

The Internships they offer are all unpaid.

UNICEF USA2016-04-25
  2. "Corporate Partnership"

Intern in New York, NY

I worked at UNICEF USA

Pros

Work closely with senior directors and heads to carry out the organization's mission. Get praise and credit for your contribution.

Cons

Have no objective to provide interns with offer of employment after internship. There seems to be cliques within the organization and the ratio of men to women is minuscule. At times the tasks handed to interns are more like chores/tasks covered as daily tasks at the organization. You might find yourself running errands for the bulk of your internship than expected. It is a great place to intern if you are beginning... your college career.

Advice to Management

Provide opportunities for growth to interns and tasks that involve them rather than isolates them into a corner running errands for the organization. Majority of the staff seem to be passive and divided, this becomes a tricky situation for interns but those with the opportunity, tend to find a way around this. Would love to see an equal balance of men to women as well.

UNICEF USA2016-02-03
  3. "Disappointing"

Former Intern - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UNICEF USA for less than a year

Pros

Having UNICEF on your resume is great if you would like to pursue the non-profit, NGO world. If you have some down time during the week, while still in school then go for it. Just know this internship in itself is not a then opportunity for growth, yet a great stepping stone to have on a resume.

Cons

The experience itself was disappointing as the internship felt very robotic. We sat in a windowless and produced donor research forms all day. It was interesting to learn about the sociopolitical landscape of their Southern California donor base. However, this internship provided no room for growth. We were expected to wear fully business attire even when we never left this room during our shift. This internship was... unpaid, which was frustrating as we could see the salaries of the few career employees on the office, as well as the volume of donations coming in.

Advice to Management

Allow interns to wear casual, yet presentable clothing. Unless of course we are going to events, then business attire. Provide connections of interest to interns as encouragement for future growth opportunities.

UNICEF USA2014-12-18
  4. "Intern"

Former Intern - Intern in Century City, CA

I worked at UNICEF USA for less than a year

Pros

Culture, Values, people, only positives

Cons

management not centralized, trust your interns more

Advice to Management

Trust your interns more, especially if they come from top schools

UNICEF USA2013-11-13
  5. "Good Work for Good Cause"

Former Intern - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UNICEF USA for less than a year

Pros

Insight on non-profit organization; friendly staff; Able to Participate in event like Lisa Ling's Seminar, etc.

Cons

Research gets boring once in a while.

Advice to Management

It's a good place to experience working for those who are interested in working for the Non-Profit Organization.

UNICEF USA2013-02-20