UNICEF USA Reviews | Glassdoor

UNICEF USA Reviews

Updated 22 Aug 2019

Found 47 reviews

3.4
UNICEF USA CEO Caryl M. Stern (no image)
Caryl M. Stern
  1. "The best NGO I have ever worked with."

Officer

I have been working at UNICEF USA

Pros

Everyone genuinely cares about the mission at hand. This organization is a true to its core values and missions. Impressed on a daily basis. Out of all of the NGOs I have worked with, this is genuinely the best.

Cons

Everyone is very into his/her own work.

Advice to Management

None.

UNICEF USA2016-07-30

"Assistant Director"

Assistant Director in New York, NY

I worked at UNICEF USA

Pros

Amazing mission and met some truly amazing people working here. Depending on who your boss is you can have an amazing experience.

Cons

A lot of smoke and mirrors, if you look closely at the behavior of management, not many of them practice what they preach. Inappropriate workplace behavior is not only tolerated, but encouraged. HR is basically there to look out for Senior Management and no one else. The interns seem happy, but among the employees it's a revolving door and I think this is their business model, so if playing ruthless politics doesn't... work for you, look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Don't take it personal when people leave, if you want employees to stay then start looking at ways to make your employees happy and treat people with respect. Also, there are way too many cooks in one kitchen. Currently you have 16 VPs in an organization of 200 people, its about 8% of your total staff, that in itself is a huge red flag. Consider a less hierarchical organizational structure, level the management... playing field, devote more funds to positions that support the infrastructure. Just because you're squeezing your employees dry doesn't make you an efficient organization-- another red flag, where you have 1 or 2 people working on major organizational functions only means balls are being dropped. A system is only as good as the staff it has to maintain it.

UNICEF USA2016-06-22
  3. "Intern at US Fund for UNICEF"

Intern in New York, NY

I worked at UNICEF USA

Pros

Beautiful office, helpful supervisors, close knit teams. Everyone cares about each other's work and about UNICEF's mission. They offer travel reimbursement for subways. I was able to be rehired for a second summer. They do a great job at recruiting past interns. I have also used them for informational interviews and they are very open to speaking with me.

Cons

The Internships they offer are all unpaid.

UNICEF USA2016-04-25

"People who care, but too petty about ownership"

in New York, NY

I have been working at UNICEF USA for less than a year

Pros

great connections, people who care about the issues surrounding children, an effort to make the organization more transparent.

Cons

people can be a bit petty about where money is coming from

UNICEF USA2016-04-12
  5. "Working at the USF"

Grants Management Assistant in Jamaica, NY

I have been working at UNICEF USA

Pros

Co-workers are very pleasant and understanding to personal needs. Teamwork is a must in this company and people generally support each other within and across departments.

Cons

The are too many layers of processes to get one job done. There should be an overall assessment of how roles and tasks related inter-departmentally so that all can be on the same page.

UNICEF USA2016-02-27
  6. "Dedicated employees"

I worked at UNICEF USA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Loved my colleagues - warm, helpful, dedicated, mission driven.

Cons

Like large non-profits upper management has little idea what it takes to get actual work done.

Advice to Management

Hire more staff so staff are not working 60 hours a week.

UNICEF USA2016-01-24
  7. "Corporate Partnership"

Intern in New York, NY

I worked at UNICEF USA

Pros

Work closely with senior directors and heads to carry out the organization's mission. Get praise and credit for your contribution.

Cons

Have no objective to provide interns with offer of employment after internship. There seems to be cliques within the organization and the ratio of men to women is minuscule. At times the tasks handed to interns are more like chores/tasks covered as daily tasks at the organization. You might find yourself running errands for the bulk of your internship than expected. It is a great place to intern if you are beginning... your college career.

Advice to Management

Provide opportunities for growth to interns and tasks that involve them rather than isolates them into a corner running errands for the organization. Majority of the staff seem to be passive and divided, this becomes a tricky situation for interns but those with the opportunity, tend to find a way around this. Would love to see an equal balance of men to women as well.

UNICEF USA2016-02-03
  8. "Intern"

I worked at UNICEF USA

Pros

Great mission. Passionate and talented people. Learned a lot about UNICEF's projects.

Cons

Incompetent supervisor who had a difficult time managing her work and supervising me at the same time.

UNICEF USA2015-12-19
  9. "Intern"

in Boston, MA

I worked at UNICEF USA for less than a year

Pros

Met some amazing people through the organization.

Cons

It was difficult to have a lot of responsibility when I was only an intern.

UNICEF USA2015-07-28
  10. "work place fairness"

Current Employee - Facilities Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at UNICEF USA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The employers are somewhat fair

Cons

The job is frustrating and exhuasting

UNICEF USA2015-07-26