UNM Health Sciences Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 12, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Paul B. Roth, MD, MS

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good Place to Work Depending on Department"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at UNM Health Sciences Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, and liberal personal time policies. Some departments are a joy to work for, while others seems to consistently have low morale. It all depends on where you work within the university.

Cons

Pay is quite a bit less than the standard. Use outdated and inflexible systems. Frequently the pawn in state political battles. Skilled employees rarely stick around for long, as they can make a much better living elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Monetary compensation aside, embrace ways to attract talent that does not involve salary. Also, don't become a victim of the sunken cost fallacy -- sticking with broken software simply because you have already invested too much money into it is a losing strategy. Get rid of Banner, it's garbage.

2. "Horrible HR Policies"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at UNM Health Sciences Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits. I accumulate annual leave like it's candy. I can almost take a three day weekend every other weekend with how fast leave accumulates. Also get PTO for a week and a half over Christmas and New Years and all other state holidays. Great co-workers. The senior leadership team at the CDD is fantastic. A great group of people at the CDD (for the most part). The only problems with working here are the rules implemented by UNM Pediatrics.

Cons

If you work for the Pediatrics dept. their goal is to pay you the least amount of money possible. Also, they've been on an eight year pay freeze so there are no raises given. If you are trying to get promoted within you don't fare well on the equity grid if you are going up in grades. For example, a grade 7 applying for a grade 11 job will only have their experience counted at 50%. You are better off applying from outside of UNM. I work at the Center for Development and Disability which is all soft money funded but still the meddling of Pediatrics has caused us to loose out on hires because of they are trying to pay people as little as possible. The hiring process takes a laughably long time do to all the bureaucratic red tape, it's a miracle we get new hires at all.

Advice to Management

Pediatrics needs to do a complete overhaul on HR policies. Elsewhere in the university doesn't have to deal with this nonsense. Let us pay people what they deserve to be paid and what we want to pay them.

Within the CDD, the in-house HR person doesn't seem to want people to succeed. She is unhelpful and rude.

3. "Graduate Student"

I have been working at UNM Health Sciences Center full-time

Pros

There's excellent collaboration here, between labs and UNMH. I've found professors to be, generally, pretty supportive, and graduate life is a little more laid-back than some other schools.

Cons

Many grad students have issues getting paid on time, which is ridiculous for the biggest employer in the state. Some advisors are nightmares - find out which ones before you go to work for them!

4. "Programmer Analyst 2"

Current Employee - Analyst Programmer in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Analyst Programmer in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at UNM Health Sciences Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, and liberal leave/PTO entitlements. The department you work for can make all the difference -- some are excellent, and others are terrible.

Cons

Once past probation getting fired is nearly impossible, so lazy people will likely stay with the organization until retirement. Additionally, the pay is usually about 10% less than what you will get on the open market, so when talented people are hired, they usually do not stay long. Additionally, as a state-funded university, you are subject to the whims of politics.

Advice to Management

Embrace telecommuting wherever you can. This is a benefit that costs you nothing, yet can be a great attraction for talented people.

5. "Great college job"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at UNM Health Sciences Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My boss is very open to feedback and grants me a high degree of autonomy.

Cons

I had to be present at too many meetings that the majority of the material was not directly related to me.

6. "Resident"

Former Employee - Resident in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Resident in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at UNM Health Sciences Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and time off. Great opportunity to get started in the professional world. Faculty helped with adapting to 'real world' from a medicolegal standpoint in practice.

Cons

Faculty sometimes would intimidate, undermine and put residents against each other. Fabricate stories about personal lives of residents. Emphasis to use Surgery center was not always patient centered and counter productive to educational achievement.

Advice to Management

Do not make surgery center bookings a priority over common sense to educational opportunities and convenience to patients. Get an anesthesiologist that will take on tougher cases.

7. "In the right direction"

I have been working at UNM Health Sciences Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Studer being part of the change philosophy will help make the system better overall.

Cons

Leadership is way past expiration date and almost solely internal to the organization

Advice to Management

Be willing to make tough decisions.

8. "Dir. Emerging Learning Strategies"

Former Employee - Director Emerging Learning Strategies in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Director Emerging Learning Strategies in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at UNM Health Sciences Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very dedicated faculty and staff who are interested in innovative educational methodology. Faculty and staff are extremely involved with, and dedicated to the students. Faculty are creative with their pedagogy.

Cons

Top heavy. Decisions are often made by those who do not teach or know the students.

Advice to Management

Let your people do what they do best.

9. "Cancer center"

I have been working at UNM Health Sciences Center full-time

Pros

Beautiful environment. Beautiful music from live musicians. Better pay than non HSC.

Cons

My opinion only but: Beautiful on the outside, dysfunctional on the inside. Crazy decision making and micromanagement delay fixing problem. Lots of turnover at all levels. Including top docs leaving. turnover would likely be higher if there weren't hiring freezes right now at UNM. Lots of stereotypical mean girls nurses and nurse managers who are rude, snide, and sarcastic) and research staff who are burned out. Seems to run like its own little kingdom. Managers don't seem accountable for their actions. Clinics sometimes running up to 3 hours behind and patients may not be seeing a specialist For their type of cancer because that doc has quit, and they are seeing someone who is a specialist in some other area, but is now covering more than one clinic. There are some good staff who really care about the patients but often they are suffering serious burnout. I'm guessing this place gets tons of donor dollars and that's why they can spend all this money on a building like this with a "light chimney". patients have no food option except an overpriced food truck available for maybe only 2 hours per day. I've seen seriously sick patients walk half a mile plus round trip to a gas station for unhealthy snacks because they couldn't afford anything. There is a new cafe with a "demo kitchen" for health classes but still worried it will not be affordable for patients.

Advice to Management

fix your culture and put patients and people first. Your priorities seem backward and out of touch

10. "UNM HSC"

I worked at UNM Health Sciences Center full-time

Pros

Good overall benefits; can be flexible depending on your manager; really felt like I had a positive impact on students and faculty;

Cons

Just like any other place, especially in public service and/or a big organization, tons and tons of politics, cliques and favoritism. Management for my department was mostly bad and didn't seem to have to have any accountability. Raises do not exist. Way underpaid for the work performed. Low employee morale. Double standards: the reliable and competent employees are held to a different standard (more expectations, more work, more projects, more criticisms) while those who can't/won't perform aren't confronted or reprimanded.

Advice to Management

Don't bite the hand that feeds you; pay attention to those who are actually productive and effective; flexibility is very important to most;