UOP Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
UOP President and CEO Rajeev Gautam
Rajeev Gautam

Pros
Cons
  • Also poor work life balance and inefficient system to get things done (in 10 reviews)

• Honeywell upper management cares more about their shareholders than their employees, as with many large corporations (in 8 reviews)

"UOP has gone downhill, but it's still a good place to work"

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Des Plaines, IL
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Des Plaines, IL

I have been working at UOP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- The people are knowledgeable and friendly, most older people are eager and willing to help.
    - UOP management still cares about employees
    - Great opportunities to learn
    - There is a lot of focus on job training and getting new people up to speed
    - Many opportunities to get involved (engineering, research, tech service, field service, etc)
    - Great way to start a career
    - Good 401(k) - 75% contribution to the first 8%, low cost options available
    - Challenging work, but there is still a good work-life balance for most people
    - Puts time and resources in developing tools to assist engineers (although the suspicion by most is that the engineers are training tools to do their jobs for them)
    - Honeywell is intent on growing offices in developing regions and more or less letting American offices shrink via attrition (massive RIFs in US but added positions elsewhere)
    - Unlimited vacation (also a negative, see below)

Cons

- Benefits used to be competitive but every year they keep taking things away. Oil companies blow UOP out of the water in terms of benefits/pay.
    - As of 2017 Honeywell no longer allows working from home, even if you live more than 2 hours away and the only site within those 2 hours is not even a PMT site.
    - The pension is no longer available for new hires, and existing employees were capped at their 2014 salary
    - Have to pay our own dental
    - Furloughs, RIFs and cost cutting even when times were good for UOP - they are tied to Honeywell performance, so there's no incentive to perform
    - Moral is extremely low at all levels, even management
    - No longer allow business class travel, even for flights to Asia - but we still bill the customers a business class rate for travel allowance
    - Sales is now driving the company and not the technology or innovation
    - Honeywell wants to focus on systems and not engineers
    - Vacation is no longer guaranteed and is completely subject to the whims of who you report to.

Advice to Management

- Remember that your employees are your number one asset. UOP is an intellectual property company, you cannot grow for the future if you get rid of your intellect.
    - Systems are not a replacement for good engineering judgement and design.
    - Focus on R&D more
    - Our customers come to us because we're supposed to be the best. Don't compromise that for short term profits.

"Great people, terrible company."

Former Employee - Engineer/Scientist R&D II in Des Plaines, IL
    Former Employee - Engineer/Scientist R&D II in Des Plaines, IL

I worked at UOP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Honeywell's "revolving door" philosophy makes it a leader in providing the 3-5 years of experience required to obtain your dream job. You will have the opportunity to work with some bright, talented, and personable people.

Cons

You will also find that many employees from the pre-Honeywell era are simply counting the days until their retirement. You can obtain the experience you need for gainful employment outside of Honeywell if you can stand listening to senior employees say thing like "this used to be a fun place to work".

Surveys conducted by the company will indicate your compensation is competitive, but I found that my own pay was ~20-30% below that of my contemporaries from school. My first (prorated) merit increase in my new job was more generous than any merit increase I received from a full years' work for Honeywell.

Even while RIF's occurred at lower levels within the company, new roles were being created in upper management with goals which sounded arbitrary, or redundant with those of existing positions. This gave me the impression that the cautious fiscal conservatism preached in quarterly updates was little more than a way to funnel pay out of low-level employees' pockets to support cronyism in upper management.

Advice to Management

I will echo the sentiments of other reviewers because I believe it is sound advice. Honeywell, treat your employees in a civil manner. Your shareholders are not developing your next breakthrough product. Instead of viewing your employees as a drain on profits, recognize them as the investment necessary for future growth.

"Design Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Plaines, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Plaines, IL

I worked at UOP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging, innovative, technical, many experts in the industry work(ed) or started their career here. There are many divisions that people can explore their career paths on.

Cons

Ever since Honeywell bought the company, benefits had gone down hill. Corporate decisions on some, if not all, company policies make little to no sense. Banned remote work completely (it was one of the few perks left). Makes absolutely no sense to force employees to work at a local Honeywell site where they don't collaborate with any of them. Many employees do not feel appreciated, experience don't seem to be valued or as much as it should. Retention issue is growing though executives and HR still feel it's low and not concerning. Working environment is horrific, old building, problematic HVAC system. Slow progression.

"Difficult Environment"

Current Employee - Engineering in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Engineering in Chicago, IL

I have been working at UOP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is potential to get significant experience.

Cons

To get this experience, it may require navigating many difficult assignments.

"UOP"

I have been working at UOP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

UOP was a great company to work for until the big H took over in 2006.

Cons

When big Honeywell took over in 2006 this place has changed. RIF's, Furloughs cut in UOP pension, cut in benefits.

Advice to Management

Go back to the good old days of UOP where you put the employees first. You will get more out of your employees that way.

"Zero Direct Investment in Careers for Non-PhD Researchers"

Former Employee - Engineer/Scientist R&D I in Des Plaines, IL
    Former Employee - Engineer/Scientist R&D I in Des Plaines, IL

I worked at UOP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

May be ok for a short-term resume builder or bridge to higher education. Ok work environment and people. Some people are able to make a career out of working here. You won't be asked to do anything you feel is unsafe.

Cons

Pay is below average for area, experience, and education level. Minimal or no investment in the careers of non-PhD chemists ("technicians" is the internal term often used pejoratively) even during years where the company is doing well. There is a glass ceiling for non-PhD chemists (not to mention the abusive/elitist treatment from senior specialists). You will never exceed the middle of band 3. You won't be given the opportunity to develop demonstrable outside marketable skills for several years. If the company is doing poorly that year, you will be laid off and replaced by temps while the PhD chemist ranks will remain untouched, because you are just a number in a dark stinky lab somewhere on campus, not someone with a big title/ego/salary/connections. Then you are left with niche unmarketable skills without a job. I'm glad I left for another job just before the O&G crash and burn. I'd advise anyone not being developed into a company techology specialist within 2yrs of starting to do the same.... the writing is on the wall that you are better off somewhere else where your contributions will be valued with company investment in your career.

If you don't want to wait a few years to see if they actually care to invest in your career, do the smart thing.... invest in yourself and leave.... go get a PhD, look at other techology based companies in the area, or go into another STEM field. Honeywell is becoming a software company anyways and has minimal long term use for O&G lab chemists. Unfortunately the careers that may have been possible at UOP R&D 50 yrs ago are not here anymore.

Advice to Management

Provide clearer paths for non-PhD chemists to advance within the company or be willing to accept high turnover (unless that's your plan). Consider laying off PhD level chemists too during the tough times (maybe there is a basis for a discrimination suit there). Change the unified career plan to allow for a seperate 'technician' and 'scientist' career path. Have a stronger mentor program. Bring back education benefits.

Ask yourself the question... what is the future of my company if my lower ranking R&D employees don't see a future for themselves?

"Contract Administrator"

Former Employee - Senior Contract Administrator in Des Plaines, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Contract Administrator in Des Plaines, IL

I worked at UOP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was there three weeks and quit. Three months after I left, the new replacement, she quit too. I thought UOP Honeywell was a good company. It has history of employees with longevity in the legal department that does speak volumes. Sadly I was highly disappointed working for the Asst. General Counsel. Longevity for the attorney not the highly skilled Paralegals that quit. Three of them in less than one year. I hope human resources will step up.

Cons

You see how the Pros were stated. You can only imagine the Cons.

Advice to Management

Revamp your legal department

"No longer the company I used to love"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Plaines, IL

I have been working at UOP full-time

Pros

I think you'll see the same major "pro" from all employee reviews - working at UOP gives you access to an amazing amount of brilliant and talented scientists and engineers. I am always amazed at how much I continue to learn from my colleagues. Current senior management appears to be moving the company in a positive direction (time will tell). Communication with senior management has certainly improved in the past few years - it is nice to understand the goals of the company from management's perspective. The work/life balance is good at UOP - no complaints there.

Cons

From my own personal perspective. Salary is average and has stagnated in recent years. Currently there appears to be little opportunity to advance my career - and I have been trying hard to do this. Benefits are slowly being eroded away. It is unfortunately no longer the company that I used to enjoy working for.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent and communicate UOP's goals. Work with employees at all levels to help them advance their careers before you lose them. Incentive to remain at UOP gets more and more tenuous as time goes on.

"Equally Happy and Disappointed"

Current Employee - Field Technical Advisor in Des Plaines, IL
    Current Employee - Field Technical Advisor in Des Plaines, IL

I have been working at UOP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learn an immense amount of technical information in a short period of time. Build very fast and strong relationships within the company. Good mentorship.

Cons

Benefits are slowly being taken away. No sense of feeling as if UOP matters to Honeywell as a whole since many of the benefits and aspects that made the company great are disappearing.

11. "Bouncing back stronger than ever"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer/Scientist in Des Plaines, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer/Scientist in Des Plaines, IL

I have been working at UOP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Management has done their best during the downturn to position UOP at the top of the oil and gas industry. Even in the past month, things are really improving: promotions/progressions are occurring, we're seeing more movement with job postings, the conservative temporary pay cut was restored. Morale is improving. 2017 should be an even better year. With new technology development programs, the future should be very bright!

Cons

Work life balance, but I know they're working on improvements in this area too. UOP offers the most unique package in the industry, for young chemical engineers to travel the world gaining incredible, quick, & robust experience, so this is where the lines between work and personal become blurred. For most engineers it's actually fun & the opportunity of a lifetime