UPMC Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
UPMC President and CEO Jeffrey A. Romoff
Jeffrey A. Romoff

Pros
  • A great work/life balance with opportunities for growth in the company (in 26 reviews)

• really good benefits; some good co-workers (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management issues, very cliquey (in 31 reviews)

• Work Life Balance, Too much process that prevent efficient execution (in 13 reviews)

1. "Patient transport"

Current Employee - Patient Transporter in Altoona, PA
    Current Employee - Patient Transporter in Altoona, PA

I have been working at UPMC part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is great. Nice environment.

Cons

A lot of people. So much be a people person.

2. "Business Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPMC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to move up in the organization

Cons

capped raises mean more moves need to be made

Advice to Management

negotiate raises with current employees

3. "WPIC- SNA on John Merck Unit (floor 6)"

Former Employee - Student Nursing Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Student Nursing Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

flexible scheduling, plenty of overtime, awesome patient population, some great staff, learned a lot, fun (at times) and fast-paced environment

Cons

high turnover rate, they're basically looking for a reason to fire you, difficult population at times (autism/intellectual disability), zero room for advancement unless you're a nurse, some bogus behavior plans, constantly feeling unsafe

Advice to Management

start caring about the employees who have been there for forever. Retraining people is difficult, time-consuming, and frustrating for current employees.

5. "Rn visiting nursing"

Former Employee - RN, Bsn in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - RN, Bsn in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UPMC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good paying job and flexible

Cons

Too big of a Co not very personal

6. "UPMC Magee"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UPMC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent staff, clean facilities, and on the cutting edge of patient care

Cons

Not many cons for this wonderful teaching hospital

7. "Good entry level job"

Former Employee - Milieu Therapist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Milieu Therapist in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UPMC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked as a Milieu Therapist as Western Psychiatric Insitute and Clinic of UPMC. Great pay for a BS in psychology, flexible hours, hands on learning

Cons

Poor management, no room for growth

8. "It was a great experience for my professional career"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPMC (More than 8 years)

Pros

There was always something new to learn in a fast paced environment. I enjoyed interacting with both the nurses and physicians. The care for patients was a priority and that made me feel proud to work at such a great facility. I would recommend UPMC as a place to work for anyone in the healthcare field as they are very advanced and well informed on the latest technology to optimize healthcare.

Cons

Parking was a challenge in Oakland. They do offer several places to park but it would be highly recommended to take public transportation when or if if it's available.

Advice to Management

Monthly one on ones need added to the HR requirements

"Great perspective looking in on the company, sometimes not so great looking out"

Current Employee - Patient Care Technician in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Patient Care Technician in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPMC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The values of UPMC are extensive and definitely create a positive environment. Some of the best people I've ever worked with work there. Whenever the whole hospital achieves something, such as Magnet Status, management goes around and gives out cake or pizza usually. Patient safety is a major focus and the hospital comes up with new ideas frequently to keep improving this aspect of patient care.

Cons

Whenever there is an issue within the unit regarding respect for the staff from patients or their families, management does not listen. As soon as we walk into the doors of the hospital we lose our basic human rights; for example, a patient was swearing, threatening, and punched one of the nurses and nothing was done about it. Security doesn't really do anything to help the staff.

Advice to Management

I would advise management to actually listen to its employees and come up with solutions, especially when it comes to safety of staff. I wish that employees could be compensated more for their efforts, and especially when they are expected to do the jobs of multiple people.

10. "Okay"

Former Employee - Vice President in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UPMC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay was all right for position. Working conditions were okay. Co workers were professional and good to work with for the most part.

Cons

Senior leadership treated health care as strictly a business with little regard for employees or patients, other than as numbers.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees. It's not just the corporate leaders who have good ideas.

"Unfair Treatment"

Former Employee - Receptionist/Administrative Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Receptionist/Administrative Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UPMC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As one of Western PA's largest employers and a high turn-over rate and their pursuit of monopoly in the health care industry in the area numerous employment opportunities exist

Cons

The diversity and inclusion program is an illusion , It has the appearance of equality until you get beneath the surface in the various departments.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to monitor / scrutinize middle management to comply with company policy and not allow collusion between them and human resources to concoct false information to terminate an employee. Management does not or know how to, enforce the creed of the Diversity and Inclusion Program. Employees that I worked with were allowed to subtly harass, undermined, sabotage the work of co-workers they did -not like. Management does not know how to handle conflict resolution they are inept at privacy laws allowing sensitive information of reprimand's and personal information to get in the hands of other employees. I was terminated from UPMC Cumberland Woods Village based on false allegations that management concocted and allowed the fact I was on reprimand to be leaked not only to other employee's but to the tenants as well. I was taunted with innuendo's that caused me considerable emotional distress. I spent three year's at this establishment trying to protect my self from false allegations, having my work sabotaged and aggressive and passive aggressive co-workers. I honestly have not been the same since. I was damaged emotionally and psychologically from the ordeal. I started to take legal procedures but I was so distressed I did not have the stamina defend myself against a company that was going to come armed with lies and false accusations.