UPMC Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
UPMC President and CEO Jeffrey A. Romoff
Jeffrey A. Romoff

Pros
  • A great work/life balance with opportunities for growth in the company (in 26 reviews)

• really good benefits; some good co-workers (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Low wages, under-staffing, I don't know who upper management is (in 30 reviews)

• Work Life Balance, Too much process that prevent efficient execution (in 13 reviews)

1. "Good entry level job"

Former Employee - Milieu Therapist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Milieu Therapist in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UPMC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked as a Milieu Therapist as Western Psychiatric Insitute and Clinic of UPMC. Great pay for a BS in psychology, flexible hours, hands on learning

Cons

Poor management, no room for growth

2. "Okay"

Former Employee - Vice President in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UPMC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay was all right for position. Working conditions were okay. Co workers were professional and good to work with for the most part.

Cons

Senior leadership treated health care as strictly a business with little regard for employees or patients, other than as numbers.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees. It's not just the corporate leaders who have good ideas.

3. "Great perspective looking in on the company, sometimes not so great looking out"

Current Employee - Patient Care Technician in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Patient Care Technician in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPMC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The values of UPMC are extensive and definitely create a positive environment. Some of the best people I've ever worked with work there. Whenever the whole hospital achieves something, such as Magnet Status, management goes around and gives out cake or pizza usually. Patient safety is a major focus and the hospital comes up with new ideas frequently to keep improving this aspect of patient care.

Cons

Whenever there is an issue within the unit regarding respect for the staff from patients or their families, management does not listen. As soon as we walk into the doors of the hospital we lose our basic human rights; for example, a patient was swearing, threatening, and punched one of the nurses and nothing was done about it. Security doesn't really do anything to help the staff.

Advice to Management

I would advise management to actually listen to its employees and come up with solutions, especially when it comes to safety of staff. I wish that employees could be compensated more for their efforts, and especially when they are expected to do the jobs of multiple people.

"Student Radiologic Technologist"

Current Employee - Student Radiologic Technologist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Student Radiologic Technologist in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPMC part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience as a student technologist. The level one trauma experience helped me feel extremely confident in a high stress situation.

Cons

The 40 minute drive is a bit daunting, but well worth the level of experience I received. The pay is good for a student.

6. "Ehhh-OK, I guess"

Former Employee - Emergency Department Technician in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Emergency Department Technician in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UPMC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Yrly.onlyEvaluation pay raises,
    Learning opportunities

Cons

E.D.McCandless Gossip creatingterminations, doesn'trespect F.M.L.A.

Advice to Management

Realize when jealousy occurs within E.D. dept., because of outstanding
    work performance acknowledged by CEO & entire hospital and shunning the employee who was a single parent with an autistic child whom had worked hard, had F.M.L.A. did not need to chastized & falsely terminated due to "false" rumors and lack of communication from the head of the E.D. department Unit Coordinator at UPMC-McCandless Campus in 2013. Falsely made up lies regarding tardiness attempting to trap when the FMLA was exactly for tardiness due to child's episodes.

"Good experience"

Former Employee - Advanced Patient Care Technician in Erie, PA
    Former Employee - Advanced Patient Care Technician in Erie, PA

I worked at UPMC part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great experience while in school to further my education

Cons

UPMC is very money/number driven as opposed to the highest patient care possible.

Advice to Management

Give your employees positive feedback sometimes instead of just negative!

"Excellent work-life balance (non-clinical, office position)"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPMC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance is respected, processes exist for almost everything, great networking, positive environment, respectable mission of improving health care, many opportunities to grow by moving around to different areas within the UPMC family

Cons

Can be tough to move up in your current department/position, lots of red tape, slow pace can be frustrating. Can be hard to connect your effort to the success of the company, due to the large size.

Advice to Management

Be more nimble to respond to worker feedback. Be more open to adapting existing processes. Continue to respect employees work/life balance, and provide more opportunities to grow in current role/dept.

9. "Anonymous Reviewer"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UPMC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At UPMC each of the managers treated me with the utmost respect and my opinion counted to them which was very refreshing.

Cons

Having to work in an environment where the people you worked with were not held to the same standard as you was very difficult to overlook.

Advice to Management

Make sure to stay consistent when it comes to keeping your employees in line.

"Great benefits, low pay."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UPMC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing opportunities to acquire and develop a wide array of skills and unique experiences.

Cons

Pay is below average and ability to advance is subjective and politically based.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to front line staff and explore their questions and concerns and do not rely on middle management staff to properly advocate or address issues.

"UPMC Talent Acquisition"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UPMC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

UPMC is comprised of disparate hospitals and other healthcare providers, many of which were originally independently owned and operated until their acquisition by UPMC. Because of how UPMC came together, you will find a wide variety of corporate cultures and practices within this healthcare system. UPMC has allowed at least some of these acquired businesses to retain their original policies and procedures. While the tide is slowly changing with UPMC's desire to have a unified corporate culture, depending on where an employee ends up within the system, they could have an extremely different company experience and be required to follow different policies and procedures. This can be both a good or bad thing depending on where you work.

The best thing is a lot of different jobs you can transfer into and after you have been at UPMC a year, you can transfer into a new role every six months and do not need manager permission to do so.

Cons

I held several roles during my time at UPMC, but wanted to speak specifically to their centralized talent acquisition/recruitment function, which they call "TA" for short. I was a recruiter during my time in TA and have concerns about the way the overall recruitment process was managed.

While the recruiters had overall guidelines and "scripts" to use at various stages of the process, not all recruiters followed them. For example, even for professional, salaried positions, some recruiters did not feel it necessary to provide a benefits overview to the final candidate being made the offer. Since UPMC salaries very much reflect their non-profit status, the benefits package is an important selling point as part of the offer. I could not understand why the TA team leads and managers did not guide all recruiters to follow a consistent standard when making an offer to a candidate. Besides creating an inconsistent candidate experience, it also caused the recruiters who did follow the process of outlining the benefits in the offer to take a lot more time doing the offer (as they should), which caused them to get behind on other day to day recruitment tasks, like routing candidates onto hiring managers and posting new job openings.

While my requisition load was a bit lower than my team members, because I was doing the outline of the benefits during the job offer, I often had to come in early or stay late to keep up with these other tasks. I was also the one my team lead frequently signaled out to pick up extra work if another team member left or was on vacation. It was frustrating because it's an open office environment and I know my team lead could hear me making offers and my other team members making offers and the difference in what we were saying to the candidate. My team lead seemed to play favorites and if she liked you, you weren't required to follow the overall department policy of how an offer should be handled. This is not fair to the candidates and ultimately the patients because it's important to attract the right people into these roles.

Another big point of concern was the senior management of TA's focus on the number of offers we closed each week. Per team, we had a goal we were required to meet each week. While we were not commission-based, there was quite a lot of pressure from our team leads to make this goal and work into the weekend to meet it. I had one outstanding offer that I would not have been able to wrap up on a Saturday morning, due to a prior personal commitment. I alerted my team lead to my limited availabity during this one particular Saturday, and instead of letting the offer slide into the new week or asking another team member to help out, I was flat out told to pressure the candidate into accepting the offer on Friday afternoon. As an HR professional with 10 years of experience prior to taking this role, I was shocked that this was my team lead's solution to this particular challenge. I don't think it's ever a good idea or acceptable to pressure a candidate into a quick answer to a job offer. All this does is make them resentful of the recruitment process and possibly the company. Plus, there's nothing stopping the candidate from later rescinding their acceptance.

While yes, as recruiters, we don't want to have job openings lingering for a long time since that hurts the business and the patient experience, we also shouldn't be pressured to fill the job with the next available warm body. Most of these jobs involve direct patient care and it's so important to find the right kind of compassionate, caring person to fill the role. The company's reputation ultimately rests on the quality of patient care.

The goal seemed to be on TA to keep filling the openings (some of which were high turnover)and focus instead of examining why there was high turnover to begin with. Some causes I've seen for turnover have been low pay, mean managers, long hours and poor working conditions. If these underlying issues are not fully addressed in the company culture, TA will continue to keep spinning its wheels to fill and re-fill the same openings.

The typical TA employee is extremely young and rather inexperienced (hence the reason my twentysomething team lead thought asking me to pressure a candidate was OK), including its senior leaders, who are early to mid-40's at best. Having very few employees with significant and seasoned HR experience makes for a TA culture that has a limited view of how things should be done and ways to improve current processes.

Both during and after my time in TA, I witnessed team leads and managers having a lack of comfort when a process improvement was brought to their attention. Instead of actively listening and considering the pain points their customers were having, they spent a lot of time and energy defending why they were doing things the way they were. Those that will do well in TA will need to be extremely passionate not only about recruitment in general, but also with of TA's policies and procedures. They are looking for "Yes" men/women and not change agents within this department.

I often felt like I was a cog in the TA recruitment wheel, with a continual cycle of posting jobs, routing candidates to managers and making offers. There is very little variety in the work and the average number of openings per recruiter was around 70-80 requisitions.

Advice to Management

I truly hope that the culture of TA will become less numbers driven and more candidate focused. Otherwise, I do not see this company having the right people on board to make the much-needed cultural changes I mentioned above.