UPMC Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
UPMC President and CEO Jeffrey A. Romoff
Jeffrey A. Romoff

Cons

1. "Excellent work-life balance (non-clinical, office position)"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPMC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance is respected, processes exist for almost everything, great networking, positive environment, respectable mission of improving health care, many opportunities to grow by moving around to different areas within the UPMC family

Cons

Can be tough to move up in your current department/position, lots of red tape, slow pace can be frustrating. Can be hard to connect your effort to the success of the company, due to the large size.

Advice to Management

Be more nimble to respond to worker feedback. Be more open to adapting existing processes. Continue to respect employees work/life balance, and provide more opportunities to grow in current role/dept.

2. "UPMC"

I worked at UPMC full-time

Pros

Very current medical practices, and a great teaching hospital!

Cons

Non-competitive wages within the field

3. "PCT"

I have been working at UPMC part-time

Pros

Staff is willing to teach
    Great hospital system

Cons

Large work load for many patients
    Low pay

5. "Junior Faculty in Psychiatry"

I worked at UPMC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

First rate academic and research environment.

Cons

Strong emphasis on gaining research funding. Location permits lower base salaries to be the norm.

6. "Psych Specialty Counselor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPMC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Love the work that I do to impact students. My supervisor is very supportive and flexible.

Cons

I really don't have any.

7. "Health Plan"

I have been working at UPMC full-time

Pros

Lots of room for growth
    Work from home depending on dept
    Nice work environment

Cons

Low pay
    Restricted work from home by director
    Pay for parking

Advice to Management

Allow more flexibility to work from home. Some departments allow it, others don't. Increase pay more often by performance. Too many underachieving workers get the highest yearly pay raise. Don't try to lateral employees every time they take a new position. Allow overworked departments to hire more employees.

"It is what it is."

Current Employee - Interventional Radiology Technologist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Interventional Radiology Technologist in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Awesome city. Great schools. Good place to use as a stepping stone and learn alot. Very Innovated institution. Fast paced.

Cons

Significantly under paid compared to national averages. Management and administrators significantly over paid along with incentives of bonuses. While employee's are not.

Advice to Management

Pay employee's what they are worth.

"UPMC Talent Acquisition"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UPMC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

UPMC is comprised of disparate hospitals and other healthcare providers, many of which were originally independently owned and operated until their acquisition by UPMC. Because of how UPMC came together, you will find a wide variety of corporate cultures and practices within this healthcare system. UPMC has allowed at least some of these acquired businesses to retain their original policies and procedures. While the tide is slowly changing with UPMC's desire to have a unified corporate culture, depending on where an employee ends up within the system, they could have an extremely different company experience and be required to follow different policies and procedures. This can be both a good or bad thing depending on where you work.

The best thing is a lot of different jobs you can transfer into and after you have been at UPMC a year, you can transfer into a new role every six months and do not need manager permission to do so.

Cons

I held several roles during my time at UPMC, but wanted to speak specifically to their centralized talent acquisition/recruitment function, which they call "TA" for short. I was a recruiter during my time in TA and have concerns about the way the overall recruitment process was managed.

While the recruiters had overall guidelines and "scripts" to use at various stages of the process, not all recruiters followed them. For example, even for professional, salaried positions, some recruiters did not feel it necessary to provide a benefits overview to the final candidate being made the offer. Since UPMC salaries very much reflect their non-profit status, the benefits package is an important selling point as part of the offer. I could not understand why the TA team leads and managers did not guide all recruiters to follow a consistent standard when making an offer to a candidate. Besides creating an inconsistent candidate experience, it also caused the recruiters who did follow the process of outlining the benefits in the offer to take a lot more time doing the offer (as they should), which caused them to get behind on other day to day recruitment tasks, like routing candidates onto hiring managers and posting new job openings.

While my requisition load was a bit lower than my team members, because I was doing the outline of the benefits during the job offer, I often had to come in early or stay late to keep up with these other tasks. I was also the one my team lead frequently signaled out to pick up extra work if another team member left or was on vacation. It was frustrating because it's an open office environment and I know my team lead could hear me making offers and my other team members making offers and the difference in what we were saying to the candidate. My team lead seemed to play favorites and if she liked you, you weren't required to follow the overall department policy of how an offer should be handled. This is not fair to the candidates and ultimately the patients because it's important to attract the right people into these roles.

Another big point of concern was the senior management of TA's focus on the number of offers we closed each week. Per team, we had a goal we were required to meet each week. While we were not commission-based, there was quite a lot of pressure from our team leads to make this goal and work into the weekend to meet it. I had one outstanding offer that I would not have been able to wrap up on a Saturday morning, due to a prior personal commitment. I alerted my team lead to my limited availabity during this one particular Saturday, and instead of letting the offer slide into the new week or asking another team member to help out, I was flat out told to pressure the candidate into accepting the offer on Friday afternoon. As an HR professional with 10 years of experience prior to taking this role, I was shocked that this was my team lead's solution to this particular challenge. I don't think it's ever a good idea or acceptable to pressure a candidate into a quick answer to a job offer. All this does is make them resentful of the recruitment process and possibly the company. Plus, there's nothing stopping the candidate from later rescinding their acceptance.

While yes, as recruiters, we don't want to have job openings lingering for a long time since that hurts the business and the patient experience, we also shouldn't be pressured to fill the job with the next available warm body. Most of these jobs involve direct patient care and it's so important to find the right kind of compassionate, caring person to fill the role. The company's reputation ultimately rests on the quality of patient care.

The goal seemed to be on TA to keep filling the openings (some of which were high turnover)and focus instead of examining why there was high turnover to begin with. Some causes I've seen for turnover have been low pay, mean managers, long hours and poor working conditions. If these underlying issues are not fully addressed in the company culture, TA will continue to keep spinning its wheels to fill and re-fill the same openings.

The typical TA employee is extremely young and rather inexperienced (hence the reason my twentysomething team lead thought asking me to pressure a candidate was OK), including its senior leaders, who are early to mid-40's at best. Having very few employees with significant and seasoned HR experience makes for a TA culture that has a limited view of how things should be done and ways to improve current processes.

Both during and after my time in TA, I witnessed team leads and managers having a lack of comfort when a process improvement was brought to their attention. Instead of actively listening and considering the pain points their customers were having, they spent a lot of time and energy defending why they were doing things the way they were. Those that will do well in TA will need to be extremely passionate not only about recruitment in general, but also with of TA's policies and procedures. They are looking for "Yes" men/women and not change agents within this department.

I often felt like I was a cog in the TA recruitment wheel, with a continual cycle of posting jobs, routing candidates to managers and making offers. There is very little variety in the work and the average number of openings per recruiter was around 70-80 requisitions.

Advice to Management

I truly hope that the culture of TA will become less numbers driven and more candidate focused. Otherwise, I do not see this company having the right people on board to make the much-needed cultural changes I mentioned above.

10. "Peer support"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPMC part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Helping people in mental health is great.

Cons

Pay is not good. Management is all about the money.

Advice to Management

Competitive pay for the jobs.

11. "resident at upmc"

I have been working at UPMC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good and strong staff support and work environment.

Cons

Large volume of work that compromises learning for work