UPS Freight Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
UPS Freight President Jack A. Holmes
Jack A. Holmes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good pay, but at the cost of your sanity I'm afraid (in 38 reviews)

• Great benefits top quality equipment (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • They don't care about work life balance for their drivers (in 16 reviews)

• was only part time and there was no prospect of going full-time (in 25 reviews)

1. "Love it"

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Richmond, VA

I have been working at UPS Freight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome place to work at

Cons

I don't have any cons so far

"This place is so far past 'needs improvement', I doubt Jesus could even fix it."

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at UPS Freight part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm not even being a hater when I say that there isn't any. Anything that might seem like a pro, like the pay rate, really just ends up being the reason you got suckered into giving it a shot when you really shouldn't have.

Cons

You won't even make it up to the old and dirty building before an employee sees you in your nice interview clothes and tells you "Unemployed or not, I'd turn around and run if I were you".

You'll laugh it off while the other guy is still looking at you stone-cold serious while contemplating to himself about how many days he thinks you'll last. He already assumes you'll be hired because they likely have more than one spot to fill. Even with pay rates close to $18/hr. starting, the average lifespan of an Ops Supe is less than a year. Most are gone after 3-4mo. and this is especially true if you happen to be a female, not white, anything other than middle-age, or not straight. If you are, and by some miracle you get hired, the rampant discrimination is going to bring regret almost immediately. It really doesn't matter what you are, though, because it's quite obvious that the door on the cage doesn't latch and that nobody has ever considered taking it out. That poor neglected regret monster is left completely unsupervised and spends every day just roaming around taking the biggest dumps on any hopes 'n dreams that it finds as it looks for fresh souls to eat.

Everyone starts out feeling like they won the lottery when they get hired, since most lack qualifications, experience, or a degree. That feeling quickly wears off as you are rushed through what they call 'training' at blinding speeds and then upper management begins showing you the proper way to make employee morale bottom-out. I'm not kidding, these are professionals. Don't you dare question them or their methods and if by chance you have time to submit a concern or suggestion...don't. I mean really, who do you think you are, anyways? The system in place is designed specifically to keep your concerns to yourself by making sure that you're too busy to engage in such frivolous activities. Wasn't your name still on the list of people who have yet to finish clicking through the slides to get XYZ 'training' documented? I'd suggest that you just keep your little millennial-mouth shut and get to clicking.

Seriously, though, a lot of high-ranking corporate professionals put almost no effort into designing this modern marvel of a world-class hostile work-environment. I haven't been to anywhere else in the world, where the stench of misery and self-pity is so thick that you can taste it. Take as little time as you can to really appreciate the magnitude of the ignorance that these professionals bestow upon the employees and the company. Resistance is futile so just take it all in, breathe it in real deep, and let it become one with you. The quicker you do that, the better chance you have of making it out with minimal damage.

The employees that survive and stick around absolutely hate their lives and have become these very bitter and slightly jaded soul-less beings. They hate their co-workers and employer even more and won't be shy telling you about it. They feel like disrespected slaves and want to leave, but can't because there are few other options with similar pay and they now have expenses that rely on it. The reality is that it's barely a middle-class wage, but even a slight reduction in pay would result in a substantial impact to their quality of living.

Why, yes, that is a pretty dire situation that you'd think someone would want to address. But nope, it's of no concern to these inspiring leaders. They have a clear and undefined purpose that strictly involves chewing you out for not knowing things you weren't taught, attempting to intimidate by asserting dominance via emails, making demeaning or discriminatory remarks, blaming you for everything because it's your fault, and constantly asking you what your problem is because you are still behind on 'training' and the numbers on these spreadsheets still look like crap. This is unacceptable because the most-help-needed lane was clearly marked with colored construction paper that fell apart in the rain and blew away. Sure, it would have helped if management had any clue that Mini-hub lanes aren't laid out the same. Yea, maybe then they would have at least marked the correct lane before putting your pathetic performance on blast via email. However, to maintain the institutional repression, behaviours like 'having a clue' cannot and will not be tolerated. It's grounds for immediate termination.

Advice to Management

You can't tell these folks anything. So, my advice to the shareholders is, get out while you can. That or wipe the slate clean and install someone with ears that hear and eyes that see. You know, basic stuff...

"Worst Company I ever worked for !"

Former Employee - City Driver in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - City Driver in Tucson, AZ

I worked at UPS Freight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good co-workers (drivers) that try to help you any time, Union protects you from very bad management that only look to see what you do wrong and never gives you credit for good work.

Cons

Awfaul management, you can't say "I can't" otherwise your on the list, very very hostile environment. Management has no consideration, even when family emergencies, they don't care. Start pay is very low, only a $1 raise for the 1st two years every year, hitting almost top pay by your 5th year. Dispatch and Managers yelling at drivers with rage. Management is very unprofessional (manager) walking around the office with no shoes on while making breakfast in the office and talking bad and making fun about drivers. They talk about safety but they don't keep up on their tractors, they look like garbage. They bring their charities in ( United way) and try to force you to donate so the company looks good and if you don't they criticize you behind your back for being cheap even you support other charities. They train you for 3 days, including paperwork, and send you with a "trainer" that sleeps on the truck because he went out with the Manager a day before while you figure it out on your own for the next 2 days, then your on your own form there.

Advice to Management

Quit you are no good for the job

"Abusive"

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Montgomery, NY
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Montgomery, NY

I worked at UPS Freight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Even your bad experience is experience. You will learn how to use programs written 20 years ago, and have to perform same task multiple times across different programs because nothing is seamless. It's kind of cool if you are into redundant tasks and antiques.

Cons

Environment is extremely poor, from working conditions to treatment of people. You will be told that the work life balance are important and that your home is the most important, however they will not support that in their actions, you will be working as long as it's needed and that's is not an occasional long day, it's daily 10, 12 even 14 hour shift. It's not a seasonal thing at freight. Extremely mismanaged place, incompetence growing strong. They will attempt to yell at you, intimidate you, and rule by fear because they don't know how to lead. Recent changes in management made it worse, many people are leaving despite their longevity. This was by far the most abusive and undignified job I've ever done in my entire life.

Advice to Management

If you treat people good they will be most likely to help you when you need it. If you care about people and show them that they matter, they will care about the company.

"I'm a road driver"

Current Employee - Road Driver in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Road Driver in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at UPS Freight full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is excellent but that's it. That's only after you make full rate though.

Cons

Worst company I have ever worked for. I hate working for them. Management hates working for them. Everyone hates working for them. Well except President, VP and so on. I've heared my bosses getting cursed out like second rate citizens. And crap rolls down hill so we all get it.

Advice to Management

Read how much people hate working for you and so something about it.

"Bad management"

I worked at UPS Freight part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance, UPS name

Cons

Culture, throwing the guy below you under the bus, micromanagement

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and be more positive

"You can make money if you don't want a life"

Former Employee - City Driver
    Former Employee - City Driver

I worked at UPS Freight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits (health, 401k, pension if it's still there), The managers are usually very nice people but their hands are tied due to the micromanagement of the senior management.

Cons

Long hours 12-14 hours everyday, start times at 9:30-11. They'll call you an hour before you're supposed to be in and tell you to come in an hour later. If you are one of the lower drivers on the seniority list you will never know what time you are coming in or getting done. And just because you applied at one location does not mean you're going to be working out of that location. You are property of UPS, they will send you where they need you.

Advice to Management

Let the terminal managers run the terminal. Stop putting the senior guys back out when they get done their peddle run. Bring in more drivers later in the day.

8. "I would not recommend this job to my worst enemy"

Current Employee - Dockworker in Commerce City, CO
    Current Employee - Dockworker in Commerce City, CO

I have been working at UPS Freight part-time

Pros

They don't do random drug tests on the dockworkers so everyone can abuse prescription pills in the winter to work through the freezing cold and often times, wet winters.

Cons

Everyone hates it there.
    The management is a joke and the dock is falling apart. Literally. Like dock plates fall off all the time. We'd fix them but we don't have reliable tools or equipment to do so.

Advice to Management

Treat your dockworkers like humans for once instead of robots. Get us the tools and equipment we need to do the job you're stressing us out over.

"Road Driver"

Former Employee - Road Driver in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Road Driver in Reno, NV

I worked at UPS Freight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can't think of anything sorry. Worst job I ever had.

Cons

No schedule, low pay, under powered trucks, you get treated like garbage.

Advice to Management

Take a class in ethics.

10. "yea......"

Former Employee - Dock CDL in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Dock CDL in Knoxville, TN

I worked at UPS Freight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good union. pay is good.

Cons

the company is the devil