UPS Reviews | Glassdoor

David Abney
1,775 Ratings

8,166 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I love that they have great benefits (in 795 reviews)

• Great exercise and good benefits (in 611 reviews)

Cons
  • Improvement needed for a work life balance (in 250 reviews)

• Only Part Time would like my position to be (in 454 reviews)

1. "UPS"

Current Employee - Preload Supervisor in Rockford, IL
    Current Employee - Preload Supervisor in Rockford, IL

Pros

UPS offers a phenominal benefits package, even for part-time employees. The company prides itself on promotion from within, so advancement is directly related to how much you want it and how hard you are willing to work for it. I have met many members of senior management and all of them started as hourlys. In additon, the holiday season results in a LOT of overtime pay for someone who can put in the hard hours. A great job for a college student, the hours leave open most classtimes and the company supports education. Often promoting employees immediatly after graduation.

Cons

The work is hard and demanding. The pace is always fast and the hours leave much to be desired. However, the pay scale reflects this.

Advice to Management

Employee wise they are on track. I'd suggest the company look toward the future to incorporate new technologes to improve service.

2. "Life Sentance approved for a lifetime job!"

Current Employee - UPS Driver in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - UPS Driver in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Very good pay and benefits. The job is detailed and flows very well. There is a 40 hr. a week guarantee. Good people all with a common goal.

Cons

The package cars have no air conditioning. Sometimes there is unrealistic numbers to meet in a safe manner.

Advice to Management

The leads program needs to be more prompt and aggressive when getting back to potential customers. If DHL is available for purchase in the future this should be strongly considered and not overlooked.

3. "the realism of a ups driver"

Current Employee - UPS Driver in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - UPS Driver in Memphis, TN

Pros

the salary and the health benifits

Cons

it is a vrry physically demanding labor intenion job , with very long hours for ups package car and feeder divers like myself which takes very valueble and important time away from the family life. also we never shut down due to weather of any extreme . also trying to get permission to get time off is often denied . when package car drivers need help on a route we rarely receive any or none at all. often times working during our1 hour of lunch time, which time we are required to take each day by our collective bargining contract agreement

Advice to Management

always remember where you came from or started out at , what it was like as a part-time employee before you were promoted to full-time employement.

4. "Pays the bills"

Current Employee - Part-Time Supervisor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Part-Time Supervisor in Seattle, WA

Pros

UPS offers great college money to help you get through college and while you can work at the appopriate times you need and not work too much because they have minimal hours which is not a great for starting out but the money can get better by advancing thorugh part time management positions or even up to package car drivers.

Cons

the work is hard and the pay is not anything to be excited about but it does go up and really picks up after you are no longer enrolled in the earn and learn for the first 4 years

Advice to Management

Chill

5. "After 37 years I still love my job as a driver."

Current Employee - Driver in Jamestown, ND
    Current Employee - Driver in Jamestown, ND

Pros

I enjoy my job as a driver very much and I've been doing it 37 years. I love driving, seeing the countryside( I'm a farmboy at heart) ,connecting with my customers, and the pay and benefits are great. And I am my own boss when I'm on my delivery area and that's terrific!

Cons

The hours are long sometimes, but the OT pay is outstanding. And of course, the winter weather and road conditions and not real good sometimes in ND. Still beats a hurricane though! Also, UPS has a policy now of just delivering to the main towns when inclement weather strike. And of course, cell phones really help a lot. (Communication is the answer to alot of problems.) We never had those when I started working years ago.

Advice to Management

They are isolated from the "grunts". Just like the Congress of the US. But iI have to admit, things are better now than 37 years ago.

6. "UPS delivers when it comes to pay and benefits"

Current Employee - Regular Package Driver in Keene, NH
    Current Employee - Regular Package Driver in Keene, NH

Pros

Pay, stability, excellent benefits, company loyalty, ups brand recognition, ground-up business growth. Internal recruitment rather than seeking outside talent is crutial to employee loyalty. UPS is great at maintaining profits in various macroeconomic situations, producing great employment stability. Plentiful vacation time is essential for employee moral and productivity. Profits are more equitably shared between employees and stockholders. Benefits provide excellent source of tax free compensation.

Cons

Focus on the numbers game rather than personal accomplishment. An employee is more than a set of performance numbers. Top down management needs to be reduced. Customer service from the 800 phone centers is dreadful. Relations between management and hourly employees needs improvement.

Advice to Management

Allow hourly employees more flexibility in servicing the customer, decentralize customer service to individual centers. Be more supportive of attaining higher education. Continue to work more effectively with the Teamsters union.

"Proud UPSer"

Current Employee - Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Specialist in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Stable. Job security at the corporate office is fantastic. The people who work at UPS are knowledgeable, professional, and at the top of their game. We are a company whose reach is in over 200 countries worldwide.

Most importantly, UPS has a great overall respect for its employees. The corporate environment is a bit conservative, but that is expected with a 100+ year old company. All-in-all, I have found this a great place to begin my career and would highly recommend it to anybody.

Cons

Low salaries. They seem a bit stingy on pay, but it is an excellent place to work.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you're doing...we support you!

"a great company to work for"

Current Employee - UPS Driver in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - UPS Driver in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

well paying job, great benefits and pension, union keeps your job secured from incompetent management. Seeing customers happy and giving the best customer service I can possibly give.

Cons

most management personel are incompetent and don't care much about the employee... UPS is a great company and I am proud of being a part of it. It's just that management makes it difficult for us to work.

Advice to Management

Let us do our job

9. "UPS the hardest job you'll ever love."

Former Employee - AM Package Handler - Unloader in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - AM Package Handler - Unloader in Murfreesboro, TN

Pros

The health insurance was the best I have ever had eventhough I had to wait 12 weeks after my thirty days of probation for them. The insurance is free, as in they don't deduct from your paycheck. The lack of interference with school or another job that you want to work at.

Cons

The starting pay is $8.50, after 30 working days it increases to $9.00. The work pace can be demanding but you will get use to it if you want to. The management always wants more but the trick is to find out the flow rate the equipment was designed to handle and just stay above that.

Advice to Management

Give out more gifts as an incentive to the workers.

10. "No easy place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Trenton, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Trenton, NJ

Pros

Solid company fiscally responsible safe

Cons

you have to hustle and work hard. There is no place for you unless you motivate yourself

Advice to Management

Listen more, and get out there in the front lines. You can't manage by reports alone.

Showing 8,166 of 8,481 reviews