UPS Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 24, 2017
7,860 reviews

Full-time Part-time

7,860 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Great benefits and friendly people (in 764 reviews)

• good benefits and employer culture (in 585 reviews)

Cons
  • Improvement needed for a work life balance (in 236 reviews)

• Part time employment was only offered (in 437 reviews)

1. "Seasonal Driver Helper with UPS"

Former Employee - Seasonal Driver Helper in Laguna Niguel, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Driver Helper in Laguna Niguel, CA

I worked at UPS part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Seasonal, flexible scheduling, professional staff, internal promotions, union representation, working outdoors, really good exercise.

Cons

The physical demands of the job itself.

Advice to Management

I am neither a manager nor am i privy to the machinations of an industry leader in Logistics, so I feel somewhat unqualified to advise management at this time.

2. "Workload Ebbs and Flows"

Current Employee - UPS Preload in Lathrop, CA
    Current Employee - UPS Preload in Lathrop, CA

I have been working at UPS part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Steady work once you hit seniority, Great benefits. Stay as long as you need, with option to go full time down the road.

Cons

Occasional high-stress moments. They demand a lot of energy, and give you the minimum amount of hours possible. Best suited for people who have families and need the benefits. The pay itself does not justify the effort.

3. "Don't waste your time"

Current Employee - Small Sorter in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Small Sorter in Duluth, GA

I have been working at UPS part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy work. They put me in small sort so I work with boxes that are 8lbs or less. I like the midnight shift hours.

Cons

managers suck and they treat you like you are a machine. Sorry, I am going to take water breaks, etc.

Advice to Management

STOP sucking up to higher ups and actually listen to the employees that help UPS prosper because if all your warehouse people walked out you would e screwes.

UPS Response

May 24, 2017 – Social Media Specialist

Hello. We're sorry to hear you've had a negative experience with management. We truly appreciate your input, and we will bear your concerns in mind moving forward.

5. "It was a amazing opportunity and experience."

Current Employee - UPS Package Handler in Luthvle Timon, MD
    Current Employee - UPS Package Handler in Luthvle Timon, MD

I have been working at UPS part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The consistent hours and work load. I was pleased with the training and vision of UPS. It left a memorable experience.

Cons

The different claimant changes during the course of the year. The initial days are brutal if you are not in shape.

Advice to Management

Keep giving constructive criticism.

6. "Start Early"

Former Employee - Package Car Driver in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Package Car Driver in Atlanta, GA

I worked at UPS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Daily Excersice
    Meeting some nice people
    Good Benefits
    All these things though can be found at other companies.

Cons

Long Hours
    Low Pay
    Micro managed
    Unbalanced routes.
    Make sure that your supervisor likes you. They supposedly balance the routes so everyone has an 8 hour day. Not true. There were days I had 70 more stops than other drivers

Advice to Management

Start treating people like human beings not like replaceable package mules. You wonder why you're always looking for help. Especially in the loader division.

7. "Up to you"

Current Employee - Feeder Driver in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Feeder Driver in Louisville, KY

I have been working at UPS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits right now....Union Job with a reputable company....They are an industry leader. You recieve a level of respect wearing a brown uniform.

Cons

The future with union jobs is not as secure ad it once was with all the new legislation that has passed. New contracts in the future offer some skepticism wether benefits and wages will be cut. With so much growth tied to Amazon.com success, it leaves UPS vulnerable if Amazon should become 100% self efficient.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for management other than to keep doing what you're doing that made UPS the giant it is today.

8. "Slave work"

Former Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Obetz, OH
    Former Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Obetz, OH

Pros

Great hours and tuition reimbursement starting day one.

Cons

Miserably hot working conditions in the summer, too much work and not enough pay and the overall morale is low because no one is happy with their job including supervisors.

Advice to Management

Give employees help when they ask or when you can clearly see they are struggling.

9. "Pain & Suffering"

Current Employee - Pre-loader in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Pre-loader in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at UPS part-time (More than a year)

Pros

loaders and PT sups are a pleasure to work with, great benefits, bagels on fridays, bbqs in summer, warehouse has heat in winter, leaving the facility everyday

Cons

where to even begin?.... hourly employees ripped off on paychecks,full time sups and hub manager make warehouse highly hostile working environment, loaders constantly thrown under bus by management for not hitting numbers, we are demoralized by management, get cursed and yelled at and they get in our faces, packages have become so big and heavy its hard to load properly, upper management thinks they are always right but usually not, safety is nonexistent, not given enough time to do work and then we are verbally abused for it, constant tension between hourly employees and management, union is useless, all chaos no management everyday, packages do not have proper weights on them (injury waiting to happen) which is a way for UPS to bill customers less for shipping and maintain business relationship, impossible to get promoted, full time positions always go to family members of management at Parsippany NJ location, brutal work loads, work is like modern day slavery, boxlines are always understaffed,

Advice to Management

stop making UPS a miserable place to work, management needs to be held accountable for their mistakes and not blame everyone else for them, more pre-planning needs to be done to prevent chaos at end of shift, management does not care about employee concerns about workloads and we need to stop being ignored because we know what we are talking about since we can see issues arise way before management does, management needs to stop waiting until last second to fix mistakes, stop using numbers to evaluate performance as they are very misleading and do not explain the whole story, upper management continue to make the same mistakes and need to learn from them, dispatchers overload trucks all the time because I do not think they can see the dimensions of the boxes being put on trucks, create a better working environment for hourly employees because we are miserable, get rid of the third reich regime/dictatorship of Vince in Parsippany NJ.... he runs the facility like a concentration camp abusing workers,

10. "former ups supervisor"

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at UPS full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

competitive pay and benefits, tuition reimbursement for management

Cons

lack of work life balance and stress related to production made for a challenging environment

11. "Operations Management Specialist"

Current Employee - Operations Management Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Operations Management Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at UPS part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You're commended and often rewarded for your hard-work. Shifts are often flexible depending on your co-workers' schedules. You won't be micromanaged if you don't make it necessary.

Cons

There's a lot of turn around in various positions so you'll have to adjust and accommodate various needs depending on who's hired next.

Advice to Management

Distribute the work more evenly. With that said, as I stated before, you will be commended for your work (picking up the slack of others).

Showing 7,860 of 8,163 reviews