URJ Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Rabbi Rick Jacobs

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Place to Work!"

I worked at URJ full-time

Pros

Professional Development, Great People, Genuine Passion for the Work

Cons

I do not have any cons to share from my experience

2. "Great place to start a Jewish professional career"

I have been working at URJ full-time

Pros

Meaningful work and fantastic colleagues

Cons

Hard to maintain work/life balance.

3. "Deeply engaged staff who help each other grow and think in new ways..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at URJ full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Generous paid time off; excellent benefits; flexible workplace; staff interested in and who exhibit excellence, ingenuity, openness, collaboration, and integrity.

No matter how busy someone is, I can reach out and they will set aside time for us to meet.

People genuinely care about each other.

Cons

Often have more work to do than we have time/resources to accomplish.

Advice to Management

Look closely at how the work is being done and not just the end result. Processes may be identified and retooled to help people work smarter, more effectively and efficiently.

"The worst place I have ever worked (IT Department)"

Former Employee - Senior Helpdesk in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Helpdesk in New York, NY

I worked at URJ full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Jewish Holidays, Ticketing System (one star for all these combined)

Cons

Everything else. Completely dysfunctional and toxic environment. Every man for himself mentality in the organization. Collaboration is replaced with blame, here. No documentation exists for multiple granular processes and you are expected to remember everything. This is the worst group of people (minus one) I have ever worked with.

Boss was the worst person I have ever met, or worked with in my entire life. Rude, condescending, passive aggressive. Will not help you with anything and refer you back to one of these other people for assistance, who will 99% of the time pass the buck back to you. Genuinely not interested in collaboratively solving problems. Will randomly walk in and bark orders at you and expect you to follow. Is only ever interested in problems and will only ever speak to you if there is something wrong. He will try to compensate for this by twice a year buying everyone pizza. The tension in the room felt by all, you can cut with a knife. Uses word of mouth rather than the ticketing system to assign tasks. Will ask you to follow up on his tickets because "he doesn't want to help those people" (his words). More than a few of the staff I have spoken with absolutely hate him. He will badmouth all the other staff behind their back which as a boss is completely unprofessional.

These people will consistently tell you to be a team player and then they proceed to not be a team player. Most here do not lead by example.

Another person in the IT department is a professional buck passer. Has to be the correct issue for him to even consider helping you. "Other guy should have trained you" is the most common answer when asking a question. Mostly because there is no documentation or collaborative experience for him to fall back on. Both him and one of the IT staff have been there 10+ years and will argue and yell. Will ask you why other person never has problems and then proceeds to have a verbal screaming match with them. This happens literally every time he walks in. You would think people who have worked together this long wouldn't act like a dysfunctional family.

Another IT staff member will yell and scream at random when you call him on his double speak when he tries to talk his way out of not knowing an answer. Absolutely an atrocious person to work alongside. Can never admit they need help, not even once. I would consistently find easy problems they said there are no fixes for and would tell this to the staff, which is a lie. Just didn't know how to fix and did not escalate to myself or someone else.

Management holds useless meetings where the different IT departments talk about what they are working on and have no effect on the other departments. Completely absent from day to day happenings.

The building staff will walk in on you and expect you to drop everything and help them even if you are drowning in work. You have to tell them to create a ticket. Depending on who you tell this to, they will become infuriated by this because they picture themselves as a vip and will promptly report this to, you guessed it: Your boss. Are you starting to get a good picture about what your day will be like here?

If any staff dont like any answers you are giving them, they will go over your head and complain to your boss who will come in and complain that you are causing problems. They will usually do this behind your back even if they gave no indication that they were unhappy or needed a better answer.

There are only two helpdesk staff for over 500 people in multiple locations and have no intention of sending anyone on site and expect literally everything to be solvable over the phone. If you read other reviews about this organization, this fact has not changed in 6 years which means totally different group of management or perhaps multiple groups have all done the same thing and it clearly does not work. No helpdesk manager exists and they need to hire at least 2 more people to be able to function but they will never spend the money to do it. The people who have been there 10+ years act as gatekeepers to your success, you will not succeed. They are set in their ways and get very upset if you have better ideas and try to implement them. They want things to never ever change.

You will woefully regret any time you spend here as you will be mostly cleaning up implementation problems that others implement. You will also be doing a lot of password resetting and credential entering since none of the 500+ people have admin access. Hand holding for simple issues will begin to overwhelm you as most of the staff your are supporting act as if they started using computers for the first time yesterday. Your work load will most of the time be mind boggling and you will wonder why you accepted the job in the first place.

The carpets on the floor are filthy and disgusting and are ripped up. All the walls have scuff marks on them and have never been painted. Helpdesk is placed in a large closet which is a dumping ground for all equipment. I have cleaned some of this up and found items that were 20+ years old.

Stay as far away from this organization as you can. The only thing you will learn here is how bad an organization be. You can do far, far better.

Advice to Management

Management has no business managing anyone or anything since they do it so poorly. Someone high up in the company has absolutely no idea how an IT department should work. You should stop lining your pockets with donations and spend some of it on the IT department.

URJ Response

Aug 10, 2017 – Assistant Director

We regret that your work experience at the URJ was not as positive as we intend it to be for all members of our staff. We take feedback seriously, and are continuously evaluating how to improve our... More

5. "Forgot what's important"

I worked at URJ full-time

Pros

Provide some services that some find are meaningful and necessary in a range of areas

Cons

They forgot that their most important asset is the people who work for them. They believe that people are expendable

Advice to Management

Remember that your greatest asset are the people that work for you. Practice internally what you preach to your constituents

6. "Exciting Times!"

Pros

Really smart and committed colleagues deeply engaged in doing important work in the areas of social justice, youth engagement, leadership development, and outreach.

Cons

Somewhat limited resources (as is the tune of non-profits in general).

Advice to Management

Be open to hearing and learning from your staff. Commit to continuous improvement, both individually and collectively.

7. "Great Team!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Great, smart, dedicated colleagues. Important work. Often exciting.

Cons

Shorthanded, need some people to lighten the load.

Advice to Management

Need more hands!

8. "Fiscal"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at URJ full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and co-workers are great. Really hard working co-workers and team-players.

Cons

Upper management can be verbally abusive and doesn't lead by example. Doesn't appreciate employees hard work. No room for advancement unless upper-management.

Advice to Management

Lead by example.

"Youth Division Review"

Pros

You'll work with energetic, compassionate and dedicated colleagues who define the community that you'll spend lots of time with -- both inside and outside of the office. Colleagues become your family! The URJ doesn't cut corners at the expense of the quality of their educational programming.

Cons

There is very little opportunity for vertical growth. Senior management has been there for decades and is notorious for micromanaging. While they claim to be open to change, in practice they are very reluctant to adopt any new practices. There is clear favoritism among certain circles of employees and senior management often chooses to turn a blind eye on issues they don't want to deal with. While they have had several downsizes in the last several years, the outlook for growth doesn't look promising. In comparison to other Jewish non-profits in New York, the URJ pays significantly less than others.

10. "Coordinator"

I have been working at URJ full-time

Pros

Really caring people who are devoted to Reform Judaism (mostly). Definitely great if you want to feel "at home" (and are from a Jewish background). Unlike other jobs, I felt just instantely comfortable and connected. Good benefits, excellent hours.

Cons

Employee moral can be a little low. I think there is not enough communication between departments and support in what each other is doing.

Advice to Management

Let go of your ego and listen to what people have proposed.