URS Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Michael S. Burke

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management is very focused on how billable you are, not good with communicating new processes (in 31 reviews)

• Senior management is not engaged with workforce even minimally (in 29 reviews)

"Positive performers write positive reviews, while underachievers shift blame from themselves to everybody else."

Current Employee - What Happened to "and Be Sure Not to Include Any Personally Identifiable Information", Anyways? : P in San Francisco, CA

Pros

As a worldwide corporate leader in the Environmental Services industry, the opportunities for growth are only limited really by one's own ambition and willingness to adjust to shifting corporate needs. There are folks here that love to travel and get to frequently, and those who prefer their academic positions typically in the home office location. The company is diverse, fair as much as can be expected from a large corporation, and builds on the experience and tenure of its employees, and their relationships with URS clients. The best thing has been that while there are routine skill sets that I use in completing my tasks, the assignments themselves are not routine. The clients cross the spectrum, and as such, individual opportunities at any given project site will vary enough from past experiences to still be interesting and a challenge. Also, with how busy the office tends to be, there are opportunities to explore areas of experience outside of my normal routine, and exposure to disciplines I might not otherwise explore.

I also find that there are admirable people at my office location. Oh, sure, we have our share of office politics, and redundant personnel who are too connected to ever really disappear, but the staff overall excels at teamwork and getting the job done - on time, on budget, and without cutting corners in safety or quality.

And after-hours the company is BRIMMING with "people spirit". There are groups that race for cancer, bike for cures, or row for charity. We have humanitarian efforts across the globe, and individuals receiving honors and accolades for both professional and personal achievements. I think the best one, in my opinion, was a guy in the UK/Ireland who dove from his boat to save someone who was drowning - his URS team was participating in a team rowing event at the time. At least, that's how I recall the article.

Cons

As a larger company, it is more of a challenge to be noticed as a shinier cog than the others that are running the machine that is the corporation's progress. There is also a structured rigidity in some areas - though understandably necessary, to maintain order and stability in a global giant. On the personal, local level it can be obnoxious, but it's nothing I wouldn't do in their position, to ensure that the corporation overall thrives. Keep in mind that this company employs over 60,000 people worldwide, as I recall - especially with the acquisition of the Washington Group - and is responsible to EVERYONE that their livelihoods are well preserved. I'm a little miffed that since I was hired in the middle of last year, I am not eligible for a pay increase until January of 2009 - though I -STILL- have to endure the same cost-of-living increases since November 2008 (that my colleagues are financially better off to face), but "whatever". I should have made sure I better understood that fine point when I accepted the position, rather than assume there would be a six-month "bump". If it bothered me THAT much, I'd be on the market. Looking further up the road, I still feel that URS is the best company for the my career interests, and I can "make do" until January, as it allows more time to demonstrate my value and worth to the company.

Advice to Management

Senior management presumably does not really need my advice, as they have likely either already received targeted feedback internally, or assessed my areas of concern in previous discussions with others, and weighing the benefits and risks, have already rendered a decision which is in the best interest of the URS business entity as a whole.

That said, I'd like to see the internal office skill sets more robust, with expertises in other locations able to be searched by more targeted parameters, like specific software applications, or wildlife biologist specialties. It'd also be great if the "expert" offices actually included the offices recognized as experts in those fields, or who have a history of experience within URS in handling those types of projects. Some of the "expert" offices have project managers scratching their heads, and look like some marketing person is trying to hedge interest in their location to handle projects with which direct URS experience is minimal. And yes, URS experience in handling those types of jobs should mean more than knowing how to handle it the Tetra Tech or Weston Solutions way. I'd also like to see more integration of cross-over opportunities from Washington Group. To my knowledge our office has not seen any additional work from this merger, though I'd wager the WG people are subbing out work to outside environmental firms with which they have had previous contract experiences. Sure those are time-tested subs for them, but in principle wouldn't it be better, both for internal and external public relations, if one hand of the URS body trusted the other hand more than an outside entity?

Also, I'd hope that Martin, and others reviewing this site, would recognize that only an idiot would list their -actual- home office on these reviews. It'd be tantamount to saying, "Hi, not only can I not spell (as in several of the reviews I can see already), but I am a dissatisfied Environmental Analyst who works at the Denver, CO office - catch me if you can!"

It assumes a level of idiocy that presumably is not present in URS employees. At least, I hope it is not. I'd like to think that while most of my colleagues honestly do enjoy their jobs, and the company, minor grievances aside, they are articulate, intelligent and forward-minded professionals, who recognize that the success of the company is built on the success of its individual employees. If this is not the case, then my future is being entrusted to faithless, hopeless morons, who can't even use something as simple as Firefox to spell-check their Internet communications AS they type them (though spell-checkers do NOT correct for grammatical errors). And if my colleagues are idiots, then I am a naive fool for investing my time into a career their recklessness will eventually upend in disaster.

Fortunately, I work for URS Corporation. We may not be perfect as individuals, but our system of checks and balances allows the team to present a perfect product to our clients. And that is why, ultimately, we will all continue to be successful in our careers, as URS continues to be successful in the Environmental Services arena.

I know, you think this is some upper management propaganda letter, or some marketing person's ruse.

I defer back to my previous statements: I'm assuming our people would be smarter than that.

This is simply how I feel, and why I spent as long as I did pursuing a career with URS.

That's right, I didn't get hired from my first interview; or even my second. It was my third and fourth interviews, and several years, before I had the right mix of experience and maturity to bring to the table the kind of candidate it takes to succeed at URS. Granted, I'm less than two years into that career, but I expect to have the same feedback at 20 years as I will at 10 years.

Thank you for your time and attention, I'm out of here.

I need to unwind and goof-off a little, so I can be back in the swing of things for the office tomorrow.

2. "URS is a great place to work. You make your own destiny at URS."

Current Employee - Engineer in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Engineer in Overland Park, KS

Pros

Good, talented people work for URS. URS goes after big, high profile projects that are challenging and exciting to work on.

Cons

It's a big, publicly traded corporation. You could probably get paid more working somewhere else. When the stock or the industry takes a turn, you could be unemployed real soon.

Advice to Management

Senior Management is one of URS's strengths relative to the rest of the Engineering industry. URS seems to be a well managed company, with strong ethical values, as well as a sense of the bottom line for growth and longevity.

3. "URS truly is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Geologist in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Geologist in El Segundo, CA

Pros

Great people to work with, tons of opportunity to learn and grow professionally, great training, excellent exposure for entry level. The size of each office can vary, so I believe that there is probably office poilitics at many of the larger offices. However, my office is super small and consequently there is no office politics, everyone gets along really well. There is always someone to offer their help if you are in need, or if you have free time others are welcoming to accept your help on their projects. Everyone is really supportive of one another and the all want to help you succeed.

Cons

that is it super coporate, but if you speak up, your voice can still be heard regardless

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great job

"A great place to work"

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Lots of opportunity to learn and advance in your career. Also if you want to live else where you can transfer almost anywhere in the world.

Cons

It is an extremely large company so its not as personal as smaller firms.

Advice to Management

Remember that everyone wants to be acknowledge for their work. Having voluntary monthly meetings with your employees will show them that you care about whats going on in their work life - and it will also show you which employees really care about their job enough to want to meet and speak with their senior manager about it.

5. "It's a good place to work."

Former Employee - Graduate Water Resources Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Graduate Water Resources Engineer in Houston, TX

Pros

A great place to work - excellent cowokers, interesting projects, challenging environment. The office had exellent coffee, although it took a few years for that to arrive. Overall, I can think of few drawbacks to working at URS. It was an excellent place to start my career, and I throughly enjoyed working with nearly everybody there.

Cons

Well, the pay could be better, and the computers were a bit slow. Sometimes the printers didn't work either. And, the lack of a bonus kinda sucked, but the benefits far outweighed the downsides, so overall, I would say it's a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Hmm... better computers. I really liked working there. Other suggestions include reserved parking for all employees (just kidding), better pens, and maybe improved freebees for clients.

6. "My experience at URS has been rewarding, has opened my eyes to the corporate world in a big way."

Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

It's a fun environment to work here, it's very challenging to come to work every morning and actually have something better to do every day; they challenge you to excell and they also want you to do your very best when you come to work in the morning, URS is one of the few companies out there that do their damndest to keep their talent.

Cons

Upper managment issues are a little sketchy, sometimes it takes awhile for information to come down regular pipelines, in order to know what is truly going on, you have to be connected.

Advice to Management

Communicate issues to your employees more, because we are a lot smarter than you give us credit for. There are a lot of great people working for your company, but we are not all merely calculators.

7. "Doing as well as can be expected in today's economy."

Current Employee - Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager

Pros

As one of the largest professional services firms in the US with offices throughout the country, employees have the chance to work on a wide range of projects and the ability to transfer to other offices if desired.

Cons

Large company, employees can get lost if not self-motivated and hard working

Advice to Management

To take more stock in employees and not just view them as figures on a spreadsheet.

"EG & G Technical Services is a respectable company that employs both full and part time subject matter experts."

Former Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA

Pros

As a consultant - travel is moderate to heavy and you work nationwide which provides a wealth of working experience. As a consulting company - the people that are employed are from varied backgrounds and professional. The smallest of the groups provides a family atmosphere with good team members. Projects provide challenges and diversity - often short deadlines and high energy that everyone feeds off of.

Cons

As a salaried employee - you will work over 40+ a week. Travel may take up weekends and you work for a client - so short weeks with long days are normal. As a consulting company, your position is maintained as long as there are contracts to work. Once work declines you are let go unless you have the ability to move to other projects in other regions.

Advice to Management

I was fortune, I had a manager that had open communication - you knew if you were on the right track, or needed to change items in your projects. Open communication is the key. Listening skills also help.

9. "URS Baton Rouge"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Pros

flexible schedule, competitive salaries, sound management

Cons

job security uncertainty in capitalistic industry due to current economy

Advice to Management

While enforcement of many specific quality procedures helps to ensure quality work is performed, it also hinders the ability to compete with bids of other firms. Quality employees are able to produce quality work without having to shuffle through many of the required quality procedures.

10. "Great opportunity for advancement."

Current Employee - Construction Engineer in Killona, LA
    Current Employee - Construction Engineer in Killona, LA

Pros

Opportunities for advancement
    Great Pay
    Wide variety of positions
    Great benefits.

Cons

The only downfall is the lack of work in the new nuclear plant business, but hopefully that will change very soon.

Advice to Management

The overall comfort within the company has exceeded expectations. I am not accustomed to big companies showing appreciation for all workers like URS does.