US Air Force Reviews | Glassdoor

3,887 Ratings

9,913 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Serving my country through civil service."

Former Employee - Medical Administrative Specialist in Lackland AFB, TX
    Former Employee - Medical Administrative Specialist in Lackland AFB, TX

I worked at US Air Force full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The honor a serving in a civilian capacity. Great benefits and opportunities to advance.

Cons

Budgetary constraints of the government cause difficulties in supporting the mission and ensuring training and manning for the organization.

Advice to Management

Favoritism should be reviewed and kept to a minimum.

2. "Great people"

I worked at US Air Force full-time

Pros

It's a great place to work and there are wonderful people to work with. There are a lot of opportunities for growth and advancement if you take advantage of them.

Cons

It's the military. You go where they send you, and sometimes you wind up in North Dakota! It's not glamourous, and you're never going to have a 9-to-5 schedule for long, but that's just how it works.

3. "Good job"

I have been working at US Air Force full-time

Pros

Consistent wages, never a dull moment

Cons

Away from family often and move frequently

Advice to Management

Employees are very creative and have some great ideas

4. "Human Resources Manager"

I have been working at US Air Force full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and taking care of the HR requirements for this large group of diverse individuals is very rewarding.

Cons

Sometimes hours and additional duties can be frustrating. Military customers can often be very demanding.

Advice to Management

Focus on taking care of HR professionals. If they are being treated well, the customers will be treated well

5. "Active Duty"

I have been working at US Air Force full-time

Pros

Challenging work from the start.

Cons

Varied (remote) locations for assignments.

6. "Endless possibilities"

I have been working at US Air Force full-time

Pros

Active duty military service is without any question, an career builder that can offer unique and powerful experiences and endless opportunities. It will change your life permanently.

Cons

The job requires commitment like no other profession. Time will be required to be away from the comfort of one's home and sacrifice time away from family.

7. "Client Systems Technician (3D1X1)"

Former Employee - Client Systems Technician
    Former Employee - Client Systems Technician

I worked at US Air Force full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Client Systems Technician offers an opportunity to become well rounded in the different aspects of technology career field. This career field has positions at almost every base, so there are usually opportunities to travel, deploy, or move to different bases and with that, the opportunities for new learning experiences. It's a unique career field with many positives. Honestly loved my time in this career field.

On another note, if you are interested in Information Technology, would like to serve our country, don't want to end up in massive debt trying to pay for college, and would like to get experience in the career field you love... This can get you there. There are also plenty of benefits the military offers on top of this. 30 PTO days, health, tuition assistance (so you can take those classes during your career) that doesn't touch your GI Bill, decent pay, yearly testing for promotion opportunities... And much more.

Cons

I'm going to list a lot of things here, but really, it is a good job. Just things to keep in mind.

The downsides of working this career field is if you don't like working customer service or working face to face with clients, you won't like this particular career. There were times that leadership did not support our office when a client complained about mandatory procedures on our part. Or if a back office did something wrong or failed in some way, we would sometimes receive the blame or the stigma from that action. However this comes with the territory of being the middle man between clients and back shops. It also completely depends on your leadership over time, just like in the civilian world, some are better than others. This job is not for everyone.

While this career does offer more rounded views on technology fields, it does tend to teach you less in depth. If you know exactly what you would like your technology career field to be in, there are other more in depth career fields that are more focused on particular subjects. Do research before you decide, or talk to your recruiter. If you choose to enter this career field and want to change it later on, you may be able to cross-train later (depending on the situation). However it's not the easiest thing to do. DO NOT GO OPEN GENERAL. You don't always end up 'lucky' with the career you get.

Some other cons are... it's a 24/7 job. You may not be 'working' at the time, but you can be called in at any time or work extensively long hours. Sometimes it truly feels like you don't have any freedom. A lot of politics as well, and sometimes if you have bad leadership this can seriously mess up your career even if you are the best airman. Persevere, it gets better. The good part about the Air Force is different leadership comes and goes.

Advice to Management

1. The more you take care of the Airmen, the more they will take care of you.

2. As another reviewer pointed out, group punishment is worthless it only encourages loss of morale, and good Airmen get tired and move on to the private sector. Suggest a strong punishment for those who can't follow the guidance and let everyone else do their job. Seemed like there were a lot of repeat offenders in other squadrons, but instead of just addressing the why of it, other squadrons that never had issues were punished alongside those squadrons.

3. The training can get a bit frustrating. There are many, many times in my career where a lot of the training we had to do was redundant. Seemed like leadership would keep changing their minds on what the 'requirements' were, and would keep making us redo the training with little to no guidance. Very frustrating, time consuming, and takes a lot of unnecessary time away from our jobs. Training is important, but it should be properly planned out and not done on a whim, otherwise mission is affected in a negated fashion.

8. "USAF First Sergeant"

Current Employee - First Sergeant in Fairchild AFB, WA
    Current Employee - First Sergeant in Fairchild AFB, WA

I have been working at US Air Force full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

excellent hours, opportunity to motivate, coach, inspire and lead others towards achieving excellence.

Cons

Some days include long hours and time away from family.

9. ""It's what you make of it""

Former Employee - Maintainer in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Maintainer in Little Rock, AR

I worked at US Air Force full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, Job Satisfaction, a lifelong bond with your fellow airmen, free LASIK!

Cons

Long hours, no recognition, exhausting work, making the same money as people who do little work

10. "Air Force"

Current Employee - Precision Guided Munitions Manager in Luke AFB, AZ
    Current Employee - Precision Guided Munitions Manager in Luke AFB, AZ

I have been working at US Air Force full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Career advancement, job security, dental/medical benefits

Cons

deployments, overseas short tours, time away from family

Advice to Management

None. The Air Force has been very good to me.

Showing 9,913 of 10,069 reviews