US Air Force Employee Reviews about "pay"
78% would recommend to a friend
(4626 total reviews)
Gen. David L. Goldfein
85% approve of CEO
What people are saying about US Air Force
Startups and Entrepreneurship
6 months ago
Flight Safety Officer
Are any resident gov contract experts interested in speaking with my AFWERX SAGE cohort next Wednesday, 1400 EDT / 1300 CDT? Looking for someone (or a panel) with knowledge about IT and cyber in the defense acquisition / small business innovation realm. United States Air Force
Federal, Government, and Public Sector
a year ago
I anticipate receiving a tentative offer from the DOD. I'm trying to figure out what I should negotiate. All of the listed items below at once? Or would it be wiser to be strategic about what elements to try to get first? Any inputs are greatly appreciated. 1. Salary 2. Permanent Change of Station (PCS) Expenses 3. Student Loan Repayment Program (SLRP) 4. Signing Bonus 5. Annual Leave: Rate of Accrual United States Air Force United States Navy United States Army
a year ago
I just received notice from a Space Force recruiter that I will be receiving an offer! However, when I asked them when I can expect to receive the offer from HR they couldn’t provide an estimate on the timeline. Has anyone here recently gone through this process and can share the timeline or typical turnaround time for receiving an official offer letter from the Space Force? United States Air Force Department of Defense
Got a burning question about US Air Force? Just ask!
On Glassdoor, you can share insights and advice anonymously with US Air Force employees and get real answers from people on the inside.
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Benefits are great and long lasting if you stay in long enough for VA be if it’s & GI bill" (in 3365 reviews)
- "Good pay and benifits for a job that can be done right out of high school." (in 968 reviews)
- "Great job security and a good way to serve our country" (in 886 reviews)
- "The Air Force is great for people looking for a structured life style and for direction in life." (in 871 reviews)
- "Training is great when you can get it and there aren't budget cuts going on." (in 667 reviews)
- "There can be long hours and extended periods where you are away from your family." (in 1291 reviews)
- "Move often and a range of good and bad leadership" (in 969 reviews)
- "Deployments and possibly long hours away from family." (in 527 reviews)
- "Work/life balance can be difficult." (in 298 reviews)
- "If you have poor management they do not hold people accountable and that can become a very frustrating situation." (in 255 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of US Air Force and is not affected by filters.
Found 4,626 of over 28K reviews
Updated Nov 29, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
Reviews about "pay"Return to all Reviews
- 4.0Jul 13, 2015Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee
Serving in the US Air Force has been a thrill for sure at the least. The air force has shown me so much and I look forward to learn more.
The pay isn't that great but the experience you get and the job knowledge is definitely worth it. Deployments sucks but that really just depends where you go I guess.
- 4.0Mar 29, 2023Cryptologic AnalystCurrent EmployeeFort Meade, MD
It’s a good place to decide what you want to do in the future and you have great benefits to support you
Some leadership can be toxic and the pay doesn’t match the value of the work
- 4.0Apr 18, 2016Assistant SuperintendentFormer EmployeeColumbia, SC
good benefits with lots of opportunity for advancement. Pay is good once you get some rank and there are hundreds of jobs to choose from.
lots of travel away from family. Work in some career fields is pretty busy and often depends on the leadership to how you are treated.
- 3.0May 16, 2021Computer ProgrammerCurrent Employee, more than 5 yearsMontgomery, AL
Good path to start a career
Pays low and many military stuff to take care of aside from your actual job.
- 4.0Sep 9, 2014F-16 Avionics JourneymenCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsLas Vegas, NV
Training, People and sense of accomplishment. Fast passed work environment were you learn the importance of attention to detail. Doing things you never thought you would ever do at work.
Not the best paying job in the world but a lot of great benefits that come with the job. Work a lot of hours depending on how broke the jets are.
- 3.0Jan 28, 2023Flight Engineer, C-130Current Employee, more than 5 yearsDobbins AFB, GA
Flying to unique places Instant gratification Flexible hours
Pay is low for relevant experience Should be an officer or warrant officer job High risk and stress
- 4.0Jul 24, 2021MSGTFormer Employee, more than 10 years
Great growth and educational opportunities. Great starting job to gain marketable skills. Good leadership skills development. International travel Being part of something greater than yourself
Politics at higher ranks. Limited upward mobility. History of decision making that causes unbalanced and cyclical patterns within hiring and pay structures.
- 2.0Jan 21, 2021Air Traffic Control SpecialistCurrent Employee, more than 5 years
Pay is not bad when you factor in housing and health insurance is payed for. Was able to get both a RAPC and a CTO so there's that.
Management is bad. Unpredictable work hours. Most Air Force bases OTHER than Florida are in bad spots.
- 5.0May 3, 2017Anonymous EmployeeFormer EmployeeScott Air Force Base, IL
Decent pay after you have been in for a while so study and make rank for enlisted personnel overall not bad
Long hours depending on what career field you are in so pick wisely when joining or you can work 12+ hours a day
- 5.0Jan 26, 2015Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee
Excellent benefits and travel opportunities. Busy schedule depending on the job you sign up for. Aircraft maintenance is the busiest and most under appreciated.
Deployments... Depending on the job you could deploy up to 6+months a year, over and over. Most of the places to go are not bad and the extra pay is good.