US Airways Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
US Airways Chairman and CEO Doug Parker
Doug Parker

Pros
Cons
  • Interns don't get as many flight benefits as salaried employees (in 17 reviews)

• Substantially changed management when merged with American Airlines (in 9 reviews)

1. "Agent"

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Saint Thomas, ND
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Saint Thomas, ND

I worked at US Airways (Less than a year)

Pros

Meeting diverse people from all over the world.

Cons

Nothing that I myself can think of.

Advice to Management

None

"Captain"

Former Employee - Captain in Greer, SC
    Former Employee - Captain in Greer, SC

I worked at US Airways (More than 10 years)

Pros

As a original Piedmont pilot, and after 5 mergers, USAirways proved to be a survivor as a major US airline. My overall career throughout my 29 years was overall good.

Cons

As a product of the USAir M & A's (USAir, Piedmont, PSA, Empire), the lost marketing leadership and suboptimal senior management led to a poorly run airline. The AWA acquisition of USAirways in 2005, further complicated and challenged how hard it is to merge different cultures, and with a cost reduction driven CEO and senior management team, this proved to be tenuous, tense, and confrontational at times as a front-line employee. The AA/USAirways merger proved that the USAirways CEO's desire to become the largest air carrier was a motive that drove every managerial, strategic decision. Today, the airline continues to struggle in areas of customer service and overall profitability.

Advice to Management

Look at every customer service point of contact and trace how the business customer is handled, and the willingness to provide better customer service as compared to its competition.
    Question why compensation has not solved, with some work groups the unhappiness and trust of its senior management team.

3. "supervisor"

Former Employee - Fleet Agent Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Fleet Agent Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at US Airways (More than 10 years)

Pros

good pay but have to work a lot of overtime for it.

Cons

no time off for family or fun.

Advice to Management

none. management is always from another airline.

5. "Great benefits if you can handle the management and little pay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at US Airways full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great flight benefits, medical benefits and mostly good people to work with in the IT Department. Easily able to change schedule and trade shifts.

Cons

flight benefits are all stand by basis, the IT department has nepotism when hiring for upper level positions. HR is for the company and not for the employee, so beware if you need to go to HR with an issue. The pay is cut way down because they decided that the flight benefits out weigh the pay.

Advice to Management

Compensate people for what they do and you will have better employees. Look into the nepotism within the departments and don't take a blind eye to the individuals that are seeking assistance from HR. Carefully review who you hire as managers and take a good look at the history with employees not just what they have achieved because taking you in the direction you need to go doesn't always depend on the management- it also depends on your employees.

6. "Fleet Engineer Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at US Airways (Less than a year)

Pros

-learn about aircraft and what goes on behind the scenes in aircraft repairs/maintenance

Cons

-the work is very repetitive and there doesn't seem much room for growth (senior engineer does the same type of projects as newcomers)

7. "Customer Relations"

Former Employee - Customer Relations Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Relations Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at US Airways full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flight benefits are good, and the company as a whole is great. I was advised I was just in the wrong department.

Cons

They pay is low for the hours they demand.

Advice to Management

Its great to have longevity, but when the longevity stifles the ever changing industry, it can harm the environment. Some of the management has been there together for a long time. They form cliques and low key bully associates they dont like.

"Welcome Aboard US Scareways"

Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at US Airways full-time

Pros

Great travel Benefits!!!!
    Huge bases
    Merge with American created more geographical opportunities for flight attendants
    Good per diem
    Good union

Cons

You're lookin at your whole life on reserve unless you're a LODO! Reserve life also sucked before some changes were made but now the quality of life may be better after the merge!

Huge business you're just a number, just another FA

Advice to Management

Employee appreciation
    Do you care about your 17 million flight attendants? No because there are 17 million of them, 17 million more waiting to replace you. Tough cookie!

9. "Scheduler"

Former Employee - Crew Scheduler in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Crew Scheduler in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at US Airways (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, great vacation package, ability to change own schedule

Cons

Bad management, shiftwork, no lunch hour

10. "international training specialist"

Former Employee - International Training Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - International Training Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I worked at US Airways full-time

Pros

travel on company busii8ness was the best. Stayed at at least 4 star hotels or hotels of our choice within budget.

Cons

If you didn't have mangmernt on your side, you had to pay out of your pocket for expenses. It took at least another pay check to get your money to pay espenses so if you had financial difficullties ,you were then in defult with the company credit card which meant you lose ther priveledges. Management did not have your back and wouldn't respond nor reply, so, personallky, I had to borrow mony from friends to cover myself. Eventilly, my director set me up for failer and I, after 25 years with the company, lost my job because I exscersided my right to use the option to go to the CEO, Doug Parker, who I knew on a personal basis, to get my money, and eventially lost my job.. It was obvious to everyon that this was going to happen, but I was so set up....anyway, it was a major change in my life at the age of 55. Try to recouperate from thaq! It's just not possible. I resent this person and cannot wait until his day comes back to haunt him. And, Doug Parker could have cared less.....

Advice to Management

I always made a comment to my colleages "There is nothing I could ever do to lose my job because I see so much wrong doing that others do and I just don't have it in me to do the things that other do"....and guess what....they still take alcohol off of the airplane, still give me free drinks and so many other things...I NEVER stiole anything from the company and was asked to leave because my director didn't fdo HIS job! Please respect the people who really care about the company...as I did!!!!!

11. "Customer Service Manager"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at US Airways full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Deliver excellent Customer Satisfaction at all times

Cons

Off scheluded operations affect on time departures

Advice to Management

Excellent Customer service at all times