US Army Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "US Army Strong"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Pay and benefits are very good

Cons

Lack of family time. Long and frequent deployments.

Advice to Management

Be a fly on he wall every now and then and see how people work.

2. "Feel proud of what you do and who you serve"

Current Employee - Journalist in Fort George G Meade, MD
    Current Employee - Journalist in Fort George G Meade, MD

Pros

Discipline is built into the Army structure, so whether you already have it or feel that you need it, the Army is equipped to serve those needs. Where else can you built yourself up from nothing, with a safety net there to protect you from your young, ignorant self. It teaches you priorities, time management, leadership, punctuality, integrity, personal courage, commitment. . .I could drone on and on.

Cons

Okay, it's not for everyone. Not everyone is well suited to having every aspect of life practically dictated to you. Not everyone is well suited to "technically be on duty 24/seven." Not everyone can handle being forced to respect those who outrank you, but just plain aren't nice people. But that's with any job. There are some sacrifices to be made in the Army, but overall, the good things that it has to offer far outweigh the not so warm and fuzzy things.

Advice to Management

Talk to the Soldiers. We are used to having to do the mission whether we like it or not, but communication goes a long way. Just talking to the troops and actually asking and caring about how they feel about the mission could go a long way for the support of the senior leadership.

3. "Army strong for military and civilians"

Current Employee - RCI Asset Manager in Fort Detrick, MD
    Current Employee - RCI Asset Manager in Fort Detrick, MD

Pros

Feel I make a difference in providing quality service to service members and families. Compensation, vacation, sick time etc. Salary.

Cons

Political red tape. NSPS pay system to complicated.

Advice to Management

Empower you emloyees.

4. "great job, terrible time off."

Current Employee - 2Lt in Fort Lee, VA
    Current Employee - 2Lt in Fort Lee, VA

Pros

job skills, promotion opportunities, travel, education benefits, leadership development

Cons

long hours, deployments, some assignment locations

Advice to Management

give more time off away from deployments. 12 months is insufficient.

5. "Great Area, Great jobs and growing community."

Current Employee - 2210 Series in Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD
    Current Employee - 2210 Series in Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD

Pros

Surrounded by smart intelligent people who work well together. Dynamic atmosphere, can entail a lot of TDY. Because of lots of BRAC activity, many bases closing and coming to APG. This means the addition of around 7000 new jobs. Communities in the area are very reasonably priced for housing etc. When BRAC is done in 2012, realtors expect the housing market to go up. Area is very beautiful, wilderness, but close to cities for all the things I miss. People very friendly. Weather is great, not too hot in the summer, and just a little snow in the winter.

Cons

Base infrastructure very run down. Going through BRAC and upgrades so should get better. They have planned many updates, and lots of new construction is going on. IT networks are older then expected. Cutting edge takes time to arrive here.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the amount of TDY, seems sometimes excessive.

6. "Army life is for me"

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

Pros

leadership experience. Being a Soldier means you’re always learning. In the Army, you can take advantage of a long list of job- and leadership-training opportunities giving you the skills to succeed in the Army — and in life. And the strength not only to follow but also to lead.

Cons

one of the biggest drawback about working for the army is that you get deployed a lot, and now that we are in a war, is more dangerous.

Advice to Management

make sure that you review the way senior enlisted are promoted. I think is a system that need revamping.

7. "General info"

Former Employee - Former Major
    Former Employee - Former Major

Pros

The people! Army personnel are dedicated to being the best, have high morale, and take care of each other. Furthermore, the Army provides some exciting opportunities and challenges I would have never found outside the military. Medical benefits are pretty good. You can't beat free medical and dental coverage (at least for an individual service member) with a stick. These types of benefits are difficult to find in the private sector and medical care is often a large part of a family budget.
    Overall, if someone is looking for a challenge and being with a group of dedicated and highly motivated professionals, I would definitely recommend looking into the Army.

Cons

Unfortunately, a downside to the Army and military in general is work/life balance. Multiple deployments not only strain the service member, but the family as well. Furthermore, multiple moves with the family can be stressful as well. However, most people who join the military or remain in the military understand this fact.

Advice to Management

Really take care of your troops! They are your best assets and do not waste them.

8. "Great Rewards, Great Responsibilites"

Current Employee - Company Commander in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Company Commander in Washington, DC

Pros

Officers are given lots of responsibility; even right out of college you will be in charge of at least 15-30 people who count on you to lead them, care for them, train them, and maintain equipment. Paid educational benefits are plentiful. The sense that you are doing something for your fellow citizens makes you feel good- there is a certain prestige with saying that you are an Army Captain. High commaraderie; I have made lifelong friends in the Army. Predictable promotions for doing your job are expected. The knowledge that if you have a serious life event, the Army will always be there to help you and your family. Seeing the world is certainly one of the more fun parts. I have been in the Army only four years and I have lived in San Antonio, Washington DC, Frankfurt, Germany, and the Middle East. You also get 30 days of paid leave a year. Although the pay isn't the best, they do give you appropriate allowances for housing and substanance depending on where you live. If you hang in there for 20 years your pension, healthcare, and benefits are in the bag!

Cons

It might cost your life. It could definitely cost your innocence. Living with those facts are difficult especially considering that families bear the burden of your decision to join. The Army does have a certain level of custody over every facet of your life. You also have very little control. Although career managers try to get you a choice location, job, or school, the needs of the Army always come first. Being that it is a government agency, there are Soldiers and Civilians alike that just do the minimum while competent, contienscious people do the lion's share of the work. Sometimes soldiers are placed in leadership positions when they clearly don't belong there. Lack of support from the public is difficult: a lot of people chose to lay into soliders about decisions made by elected officials THEY put into office! Pay is not commensurate with responsibility. Constantly uprooting the family is difficult.

Advice to Management

The 30% of the Army that has not deployed in support of Operations Iraqi or Enduring Freedom NEEDS TO GO! There are too many Soldiers and families that have endured three or four deployments (sometimes back to back) while the same people keep dodging deployment after deployment

9. "The Army: it's what you make of it."

Current Employee - Second Lieutenant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Second Lieutenant in New York, NY

Pros

Get to blow sh*t up!
    And gain access to miles and miles of training.
    Lots of opportunity.

Cons

Alot of stereotyping and pessimism.

Advice to Management

Rank and power can be very misleading, and also have to ability to make someone forget about their own personal experiences in lower positions. From colonels to sergeant majors, it can happen to anyone. Therefore, any individual in a higher ranking position needs to foster a climate of professional development and positive attitude. This is best achieved in the Army by a commander or NCO being able and willing to receive feedback from subordinates and use their input to positively influence their command path.

10. "Soldier"

Current Employee - Paralegal in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Paralegal in Columbia, SC

Pros

I earn 30 days of paid vacation time each year, and if I choose not to use them all they roll over into the next year. My medical, dental, and vision is all free, as is all my medication. When I had surgery, I was given two weeks of paid convalescent leave. I am given money specifically for rent and utilites that is not taxed. I shop on-post at the commissary, where food and other goods are about 20% cheaper. The Army gives me $4,500 per fiscal year to use towards tuition for college. If I choose to, I can also use the G.I. Bill, which will pay for my school entirely. When I deploy, ly income is tax-free, and I make extra money from combat pay. Promotions are there if you work for them.

Cons

Long deployments away from family, and the obvious stress of being in a combat environment. Hours can be long, and sometimes working over the weekend is required. I move around about every three years.

Advice to Management

N/A

Showing 15,743 of 16,328 reviews