US Bureau of Labor Statistics Mathematical Statistician Reviews | Glassdoor

US Bureau of Labor Statistics Mathematical Statistician Reviews

Updated Sep 1, 2016

Found 3 reviews

5.0
US Bureau of Labor Statistics CEO Erica L. Groshen (no image)
Erica L. Groshen
  1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Mathematical Statistician in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Bureau of Labor Statistics full-time for more than a year

Pros

With my supervisor I have a lot of flexibility in my work time. With 'flexi-time' we can work anytime between 6am-8pm Monday through Friday and it allows me to leave when I don't "feel like working" and stay late when I'm feeling productive. Relaxed environment, where I am comfortable talking with higher level managers who really care that the work is done correctly.

Cons

Not everyone in the BLS has the same benefits. Some groups are locked into a 'production' mentality that doesn't benefit the employees very much. As a statistician or economist, GS-12 positions are the 'default' unlike many other agencies that have career ladders ending at GS-13.

Advice to Management

Unify a system of measurement for the annual review across all managers to use, ensure common data tables have easy-to-find data dictionaries, and actively encourage government agencies to work together on learning and implementing new methodology.

US Bureau of Labor Statistics2016-09-01

"Statisticians - best place to start your career"

Former Employee - Mathematical Statistician in Washington, DC

I worked at US Bureau of Labor Statistics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you study stats in school, this is the premier place to start your career. Top brand name and a much better location than the Census Bureau. Opens a lot of doors in DC. I've been in the private sector and other agencies and the BLS was the most challenging job I've had. Once you do stats here, almost everywhere else is easy. The pay in the private sector doesn't get better until you get in the GS-14/manager range.... Better equipment, less politics, more collaborative and better training than the private sector. Good place to get your bearings while you figure out what you want to do longer-term. Pay is good up to GS-13.

Cons

Quickly tap out at a 12 in any agency under the 1529/1530 designation; will need to move on to other agency or other company to get 13 and above without waiting behind a queue. You can get more money through bonuses in the private sector after GS-14. Job can become a rut, even the research-related ones. Very automated, not a lot to contribute.

US Bureau of Labor Statistics2012-12-07

"Relax working environment"

Current Employee - Mathematical Statistician in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Bureau of Labor Statistics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Relax working environment Federal employment Pay is pretty good, and I don't think you can beat the benefit

Cons

Not as much challenge if you are someone full of ambition, for any company there's competition, but this place the competition is not as intense as some private company.

US Bureau of Labor Statistics2012-10-20