US Bureau of Labor Statistics Reviews | Glassdoor

US Bureau of Labor Statistics Reviews

Updated 19 Jul 2019

3.7
US Bureau of Labor Statistics CEO Erica L. Groshen (no image)
Erica L. Groshen
  1. "Great job all-around."

Current Employee - Economist in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Bureau of Labor Statistics full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Solid work/life balance. There is a lot of flexibility with options to work from home and earn credit hours. Commuting through the MARC train or metro system is fully reimbursed. I have always felt in control of how much time and energy I want to put into my job. - Exciting work. I am adequately challenged by and interested in all the projects I get assigned to. Some of this is because leadership is good at... identifying what your strengths/weaknesses and interests are. There is a stereotype that government work is slow and dull, but I've found this to be only that, a stereotype. I found it to be wholly untrue in my division. This will be listed as a con below, but the work does follow a strict process that has been developed over the years. With that said, I am mentioning it here because you are allowed the space to be innovative and come up with something different, as long as you can back it up. BLS promotes and embraces innovative ideas. - Nice people. All my co-workers and managers are great and smart people. It is nice to be in the company of people with a large and diverse spectrum of skills and knowledge, who are also willing to share what they know. - Leadership. Managers are always looking for ways to improve. I feel noticed and rewarded by them when I submit impressive work. They actively try to do a good job with giving you work you want, and track how well you're doing in your position. They also do their best to not constantly give you the same kind of work. They do check up on you from time to time, but I don't feel micro-managed. The transparency level is also great. They keep the whole division updated with what projects are in progress and any specific work that deserves to be highlighted. It just generally feels like a healthy professional relationship. - Benefits. One of the most valuable ones is the three part retirement system. You will not be able to find something like this elsewhere. - Job security. The data that BLS provides is important. It will always be needed.

Cons

- Salary. BLS is a government agency, so they follow a set pay schedule that you can't negotiate out of. Salaries aren't that high compared to what private companies may offer. - Budget and educational reimbursement. BLS' budget is tied to what the government has chosen to allocate. Recently, it has taken a little hit and so this has negatively effected, among other things, the amount of money they can give... towards reimbursing any sort of training or classes. - Advancement. Promotions are non-competitive only up to GS-12. - Strict work process. There is a system that has developed over the years that forms the backbone of when and how you do things. In a way, it puts your knowledge and skill sets into one box. However, this could be a good thing too depending on your goals.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

US Bureau of Labor Statistics2018-01-29
  2. "Great location, flexible hours, but the work is a bore."

I worked at US Bureau of Labor Statistics full-time

Pros

Flexible hours and great location are the best elements of working here. You make your own schedule which is very nice.

Cons

There is an unwritten hierarchy. The space really feels stagnant and not conducive for true growth. How the job was presented to me during the interview was vastly different than what the job actually required.

Advice to Management

Be honest.

US Bureau of Labor Statistics2018-02-09
  3. "Great Place to Grow"

Former Employee - Economist in Washington, DC

I worked at US Bureau of Labor Statistics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of independence and freedom, as long as you get your work done.

Cons

too many restrictions will acquiring new software or technology

Advice to Management

loose the restrictions on Open-Source software

US Bureau of Labor Statistics2018-01-22

"Disappointing"

I worked at US Bureau of Labor Statistics full-time

Pros

US Government working conditions and benefits, working on real significant economic data

Cons

Archaic systems, training materials not relevant to duties, managers too overworked to pay real attention to staff

Advice to Management

Forget the outdated canned manuals, and focus on real exercises to get people up to speed. A collaborative working environment would produce more relevant data than the metrics-driven system being used. The pressure to complete schedules creates an environment in which data gathering is often incomplete and missing many details, which are simply imputed by the program.

US Bureau of Labor Statistics2018-01-30
  5. "Awesome job."

Current Employee - Field Economist in Houston, TX

I have been working at US Bureau of Labor Statistics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Meet great people. Work life balance. Respected by my superior and coleagurs

Cons

None, I can think of. The work is just great!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

US Bureau of Labor Statistics2018-01-09

"Economist"

Former Employee - Economist in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at US Bureau of Labor Statistics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You have a lot of flexible with your work schedule and generally speaking, you have a lot of autonomy with your work.

Cons

Some of the new employees have created a toxic, unprofessional and unbearable work environment compounded with some of the more senior staff that is a bit arrogant and undeserving. Some of the employees are very immature and you wouldn't believe the conversations that occur at this place. Drain the swap. Toxic work environment

US Bureau of Labor Statistics2018-01-01
  7. "Great Employer"

I worked at US Bureau of Labor Statistics full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, solid job security

Cons

Government work can be dull

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

US Bureau of Labor Statistics2017-12-05
  8. "Economist"

I have been working at US Bureau of Labor Statistics full-time

Pros

Great work flexibility, Team work oriented, opportunities for learning

Cons

bureaucracy, few promotion opportunities,

US Bureau of Labor Statistics2017-12-05
  9. "Economist"

I have been working at US Bureau of Labor Statistics full-time

Pros

Very flexible work/life balance. Very good people to work with.

Cons

Some slow periods of work, but work can become hectic at deadlines.

US Bureau of Labor Statistics2017-12-13
  10. "Economist"

Current Employee - Economist in Washington, DC

Pros

Work/life balance, independence, teleworking policies, transit subsidy, federal benefits, professional, respectful environment, excellent place to build a federal career

Cons

Bureaucratic, unfriendly conservative administration, repetitive work tasks, not much traveling

US Bureau of Labor Statistics2017-10-03