US Bureau of Labor Statistics "gs 12" Reviews | Glassdoor

US Bureau of Labor Statistics Employee Reviews about "gs 12"

Updated Jul 19, 2019

Found 129 reviews

3.7
US Bureau of Labor Statistics CEO Erica L. Groshen (no image)
Erica L. Groshen
Pros
  • "Good place to start career, great work life balance(in 27 reviews)

• "Non-political, great work environment, great location, match and technology focused(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "BLS is a government agency, so they follow a set pay schedule that you can't negotiate out of(in 13 reviews)

• "Promotions are non-competitive only up to GS-12(in 10 reviews)

Reviews about "gs 12"

Return to all Reviews

"Great place to start your career"

Current Employee - Economist

I have been working at US Bureau of Labor Statistics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work life balance, great benefits, (generally) great co-workers. Also, they teach you useful skills such as SQL and SAS.

Cons

Advancement can be very difficult. After getting to a GS-12 there tend to be very few positions for GS-13 and it can take a long time to move up, especially if you want to stay in the same office you've been working in.

US Bureau of Labor Statistics2018-05-05

"Field economist"

Current Employee - Field Economist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at US Bureau of Labor Statistics full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Health Benefits and gs-12. . Coworkers can be cool . Telework (which they’ll threaten to take away if you are not making your milestones , see below)

Cons

Used to be a good and satisfying job in the regions. However: -NCS program is now officially a branch of Social security administration whereby trained economists are collecting surveys pertaining to disabilities. Thus having nothing to do with “compensation or labor” -radically changes the nature of the job. -budget hungry environment and management . They will toss worker welfare out the window to meet managerial... and budgetary goals. -uninspiring leadership. Seldom helps field economists. Just delegate tasks and more worried about self preservation as a manager rather than workplace satisfaction -same tired strategies. Continually reinvents the wheel. -respondents will say no a lot, to a voluntary survey and your managers will blame you for not trying hard enough. -bureaucratic levels or review. Imagine having your work criticized not just by managers but colleagues in the beltway who do not collect data for a living. -multiple program assignments and deadlines will be missed cause of workload . Once again managers will put this solely on your responsibility. -unbelievable amount of negativity and toxicity in the regional work environments. -leadership will say they care but don’t.

Advice to Management

Grow a backbone and stand up for your employees and push back on dc and their ridiculous demands on regional workload. Pathetic. Bad systems make good employees look bad.

US Bureau of Labor Statistics2018-03-10
  3. "Great job all-around."

Current Employee - Economist in Washington, DC

Pros

- Solid work/life balance. There is a lot of flexibility with options to work from home and earn credit hours. Commuting through the MARC train or metro system is fully reimbursed. I have always felt in control of how much time and energy I want to put into my job. - Exciting work. I am adequately challenged by and interested in all the projects I get assigned to. Some of this is because leadership is good at... identifying what your strengths/weaknesses and interests are. There is a stereotype that government work is slow and dull, but I've found this to be only that, a stereotype. I found it to be wholly untrue in my division. This will be listed as a con below, but the work does follow a strict process that has been developed over the years. With that said, I am mentioning it here because you are allowed the space to be innovative and come up with something different, as long as you can back it up. BLS promotes and embraces innovative ideas. - Nice people. All my co-workers and managers are great and smart people. It is nice to be in the company of people with a large and diverse spectrum of skills and knowledge, who are also willing to share what they know. - Leadership. Managers are always looking for ways to improve. I feel noticed and rewarded by them when I submit impressive work. They actively try to do a good job with giving you work you want, and track how well you're doing in your position. They also do their best to not constantly give you the same kind of work. They do check up on you from time to time, but I don't feel micro-managed. The transparency level is also great. They keep the whole division updated with what projects are in progress and any specific work that deserves to be highlighted. It just generally feels like a healthy professional relationship. - Benefits. One of the most valuable ones is the three part retirement system. You will not be able to find something like this elsewhere. - Job security. The data that BLS provides is important. It will always be needed.

Cons

- Salary. BLS is a government agency, so they follow a set pay schedule that you can't negotiate out of. Salaries aren't that high compared to what private companies may offer. - Budget and educational reimbursement. BLS' budget is tied to what the government has chosen to allocate. Recently, it has taken a little hit and so this has negatively effected, among other things, the amount of money they can give... towards reimbursing any sort of training or classes. - Advancement. Promotions are non-competitive only up to GS-12. - Strict work process. There is a system that has developed over the years that forms the backbone of when and how you do things. In a way, it puts your knowledge and skill sets into one box. However, this could be a good thing too depending on your goals.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

US Bureau of Labor Statistics2018-01-29
  4. "Flexible schedules and innovation"

Current Employee - Economist in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Bureau of Labor Statistics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's all about work-life balance at BLS. Full-time employees are eligible to telework and can take advantage of very flexible work schedules. You can start as early as 6am or as late as 10am from Tues - Thurs and any time on Mon and Fri given that you account for the minimum time required (4 hours). I've also found that managers across many program offices are willing to let motivated employees pursue interesting... projects as long as their required work is completed on time. For people that like playing with data this is a huge "pro" considering that the BLS is a hub for data.

Cons

No surprise here, but too much bureaucracy. Also, even in a non-political agency, at higher levels of management there's a lot more political maneuvering than one might find in a similar organization in the private sector, but I think this is mainly due to the level of bureaucracy. Some people spend more time concerned with administrative matters than is warranted. There is also not much opportunity to advance... beyond a GS-12, which, in federal employee speak, is a pretty low glass ceiling.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster innovation while keeping motivated employees from having to deal with bureaucratic minutiae.

US Bureau of Labor Statistics2017-09-27
  5. "Good place to work"

I have been working at US Bureau of Labor Statistics full-time

Pros

Flexible hours and intelligent coworkers

Cons

Only GS-12 non-competitive promotion potential

US Bureau of Labor Statistics2017-06-01
  6. "BLS Economist"

I have been working at US Bureau of Labor Statistics full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule Great Benefits Nice people

Cons

Moving beyond a GS 12 is difficult.

US Bureau of Labor Statistics2017-03-06

"Good for a year or two at most..."

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Washington, DC

Pros

Laid back. Good benefits.Lots of opportunity to learn. Good work life balance. Nice people.

Cons

Management is incompetent. GS 12 is bad pay. Not in line with industry practices. Fellow developers are incompetent.

Advice to Management

Get out the way and let devs

US Bureau of Labor Statistics2016-11-18
  8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Mathematical Statistician in Washington, DC

Pros

With my supervisor I have a lot of flexibility in my work time. With 'flexi-time' we can work anytime between 6am-8pm Monday through Friday and it allows me to leave when I don't "feel like working" and stay late when I'm feeling productive. Relaxed environment, where I am comfortable talking with higher level managers who really care that the work is done correctly.

Cons

Not everyone in the BLS has the same benefits. Some groups are locked into a 'production' mentality that doesn't benefit the employees very much. As a statistician or economist, GS-12 positions are the 'default' unlike many other agencies that have career ladders ending at GS-13.

Advice to Management

Unify a system of measurement for the annual review across all managers to use, ensure common data tables have easy-to-find data dictionaries, and actively encourage government agencies to work together on learning and implementing new methodology.

US Bureau of Labor Statistics2016-09-01
  9. "Nice place to start, but depends on the office"

I have been working at US Bureau of Labor Statistics full-time

Pros

Great place to grow skills and the pay ramps up quickly as you progress to a GS-12. Excellent location and benefits. Fosters professional growth. Most offices have a good work enviroment, but I've heard things can get slow in some of the other offices. It is very common to telework once a week.

Cons

Usual drawbacks to federal employment. (i.e., decent, but not amazing pay, small bonuses, etc.) HR was a pain to deal with at first.

US Bureau of Labor Statistics2015-11-18

"Field Economist"

Pros

Great if you are lazy, have no ambition, and don't mind the only reward for being competent in your position being given "more work". This is a GREAT position for the stereotypical government employee. Incompetence is rewarded with being given less work, with no threat to be fired.

Cons

The cons for this job are that it will drive you crazy if you actually want to work and learn. Length of time in the agency means more then competency and there isn't a correlation between the two. The work could be performed by a drunk monkey. Then again a pay range that tops out at GS-12 with no work...... not that bad if you can shut your brain off.

Advice to Management

Instead of making policies that negatively impact everybody, try actually taking action to remove problem employees.

US Bureau of Labor Statistics2015-04-03