US Bureau of Labor Statistics "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

US Bureau of Labor Statistics Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 19 Jul 2019

3.7
US Bureau of Labor Statistics CEO Erica L. Groshen (no image)
Erica L. Groshen
Pros
  • "Good place to start career, great work life balance(in 27 reviews)

• "Non-political, great work environment, great location, match and technology focused(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "BLS is a government agency, so they follow a set pay schedule that you can't negotiate out of(in 13 reviews)

• "Promotions are non-competitive only up to GS-12(in 10 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good start"

Current Employee - Economist in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Bureau of Labor Statistics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good place to start career, great work life balance

Cons

Siloed and a bit hard to advance

US Bureau of Labor Statistics2019-07-19

"Great place to start your career"

Current Employee - Economist

I have been working at US Bureau of Labor Statistics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work life balance, great benefits, (generally) great co-workers. Also, they teach you useful skills such as SQL and SAS.

Cons

Advancement can be very difficult. After getting to a GS-12 there tend to be very few positions for GS-13 and it can take a long time to move up, especially if you want to stay in the same office you've been working in.

US Bureau of Labor Statistics2018-05-05
  3. "Great job all-around."

Current Employee - Economist in Washington, DC

Pros

- Solid work/life balance. There is a lot of flexibility with options to work from home and earn credit hours. Commuting through the MARC train or metro system is fully reimbursed. I have always felt in control of how much time and energy I want to put into my job. - Exciting work. I am adequately challenged by and interested in all the projects I get assigned to. Some of this is because leadership is good at identifying what your strengths/weaknesses and interests are. There is a stereotype that government work is slow and dull, but I've found this to be only that, a stereotype. I found it to be wholly untrue in my division. This will be listed as a con below, but the work does follow a strict process that has been developed over the years. With that said, I am mentioning it here because you are allowed the space to be innovative and come up with something different, as long as you can back it up. BLS promotes and embraces innovative ideas. - Nice people. All my co-workers and managers are great and smart people. It is nice to be in the company of people with a large and diverse spectrum of skills and knowledge, who are also willing to share what they know. - Leadership. Managers are always looking for ways to improve. I feel noticed and rewarded by them when I submit impressive work. They actively try to do a good job with giving you work you want, and track how well you're doing in your position. They also do their best to not constantly give you the same kind of work. They do check up on you from time to time, but I don't feel micro-managed. The transparency level is also great. They keep the whole division updated with what projects are in progress and any specific work that deserves to be highlighted. It just generally feels like a healthy professional relationship. - Benefits. One of the most valuable ones is the three part retirement system. You will not be able to find something like this elsewhere. - Job security. The data that BLS provides is important. It will always be needed.

Cons

- Salary. BLS is a government agency, so they follow a set pay schedule that you can't negotiate out of. Salaries aren't that high compared to what private companies may offer. - Budget and educational reimbursement. BLS' budget is tied to what the government has chosen to allocate. Recently, it has taken a little hit and so this has negatively effected, among other things, the amount of money they can give towards reimbursing any sort of training or classes. - Advancement. Promotions are non-competitive only up to GS-12. - Strict work process. There is a system that has developed over the years that forms the backbone of when and how you do things. In a way, it puts your knowledge and skill sets into one box. However, this could be a good thing too depending on your goals.

US Bureau of Labor Statistics2018-01-29
  4. "Awesome job."

Current Employee - Field Economist in Houston, TX

Pros

Meet great people. Work life balance. Respected by my superior and coleagurs

Cons

None, I can think of. The work is just great!

US Bureau of Labor Statistics2018-01-09
  5. "Economist"

I have been working at US Bureau of Labor Statistics full-time

Pros

Very flexible work/life balance. Very good people to work with.

Cons

Some slow periods of work, but work can become hectic at deadlines.

US Bureau of Labor Statistics2017-12-13
  6. "Economist"

Current Employee - Economist in Washington, DC

Pros

Work/life balance, independence, teleworking policies, transit subsidy, federal benefits, professional, respectful environment, excellent place to build a federal career

Cons

Bureaucratic, unfriendly conservative administration, repetitive work tasks, not much traveling

US Bureau of Labor Statistics2017-10-03
  7. "Great Environment, But Slow-Paced"

Current Employee - Economist in Washington, DC

Pros

Very flexible work environment, working with talented and intelligent people in a non-competitive atmosphere, great work-life balance, you get to do important work that affects the entire country. Also very a-political for a government bureau.

Cons

Can be very bureaucratic, slow moving, sometimes minimal interpersonal interaction. Takes a while to learn how to navigate the bureaucracy, as well as the general complexity of the statistical production process.

US Bureau of Labor Statistics2017-09-28
  8. "Flexible schedules and innovation"

Current Employee - Economist in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Bureau of Labor Statistics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's all about work-life balance at BLS. Full-time employees are eligible to telework and can take advantage of very flexible work schedules. You can start as early as 6am or as late as 10am from Tues - Thurs and any time on Mon and Fri given that you account for the minimum time required (4 hours). I've also found that managers across many program offices are willing to let motivated employees pursue interesting projects as long as their required work is completed on time. For people that like playing with data this is a huge "pro" considering that the BLS is a hub for data.

Cons

No surprise here, but too much bureaucracy. Also, even in a non-political agency, at higher levels of management there's a lot more political maneuvering than one might find in a similar organization in the private sector, but I think this is mainly due to the level of bureaucracy. Some people spend more time concerned with administrative matters than is warranted. There is also not much opportunity to advance beyond a GS-12, which, in federal employee speak, is a pretty low glass ceiling.

US Bureau of Labor Statistics2017-09-27
  9. "Pathways Intern"

Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at US Bureau of Labor Statistics part-time for less than a year

Pros

- Flexible hours - Great supervisors - Friendly work environment - Work life balance - Rewarding work

Cons

- Because of telework there are sometimes very few people in the office - Don't assign their interns enough work (could be a positive) - Time passes slowly

US Bureau of Labor Statistics2017-09-19
  10. "Economist"

Former Employee - Economist

I worked at US Bureau of Labor Statistics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

BLS is a fantastic place to work in terms of work-life balance, flexibility, and compensation. Many of my colleagues were smart, highly-capable, analytical people. I did not experience much by way of office politics, competitiveness among co-workers, etc. Most of the work is done by actual BLS employees (not contractors)--as my first job out of college, it provided a solid analytical, research, and writing foundation that has served me well since.

Cons

Now two years out, I would say that one of the biggest cons to working at BLS was its silos--you are not really encouraged to think creatively or collaboratively; people stay within their swim lanes to a fault. Status quo is huge here. Why suggest changes when the agency operates smoothly doing things the way that they have always been done? This ultimately stifles creativity and collaboration and leads employees to seek opportunities they feel would allow them to breathe a bit more.

US Bureau of Labor Statistics2017-03-31