US Census Bureau Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
John H. Thompson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • walking door to door in weather (in 15 reviews)

• Not enough hours if seeking full time employment (in 24 reviews)

1. "No Integrity and Violates Laws"

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Suitland, MD
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Suitland, MD

I have been working at US Census Bureau full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The job duties are more administrative in nature; Very Basic
    - You see how data collected on surveys, are used for society
    - Depending on your supervisor, you are able to work a VERY flexible work schedule
    - It's part of the federal government, so you enjoy all of the perks of working for the federal government
    - Opportunities to train in other career fields, and/or be reassigned. (Only if you play by the rules, and keep your mouth closed).

Cons

- Hiring officials are not forthcoming about the job duties they are hiring you for, even when you are very clear about the type of career you are looking for
    - They have violated several laws, including the Americans with Disabilities Acts. I am still waiting on some of my approved Reasonable Accommodations, since requesting RA in February 2017. And, I'm a disable veteran.
    - Management have harassed me none stop, for reporting them to the Union, because they chose to ignore me about my job disinterest and physical limitations, and tried to force me to hurt myself even further.
    - They will withhold the true nature of the job, ignore what you tell them during the interview, hire you to do the very thing you informed them in the interview that you had a disinterest in doing and couldn't do, and purposely sabotage you on any other job opportunities you have
    - The job duties are more grunt work, secretarial type of duties (i.e. picking up distributions from other offices, updating calendars with people's leave days and mail schedules, data entry where you input information into a spreadsheet, etc.).
    - No analyzing, math, statistics work involved
    - Hardly any work to perform, except a lot of busy work
    - You're a Survey Statistician but you don't mail out surveys, collect the data, clean up the data, analyze the data, report on the data, etc. You are not even allowed to see the data, so how can you call yourselves a Survey Statistician?
    - I would say the majority of the agency is miserable, but afraid to speak up, in fear of retaliation. Glad I'm in a position where I don't have to work, if I don't want to.

Advice to Management

- Hire the type of people that actually don't mind performing the job duties of your agency.
    - Stop wasting skillful, technical, experienced people to come and be your "secretary"! No one with this type of background, is interested in administrative and secretarial duties.
    - If someone clearly described what type of career they are looking for, then RESPECT THAT PERSON's INTEREST!!! What someone has in mind for THEIR career, is independent of what you are wanting or "needing".
    - Obey the laws, especially when it comes to someone with disabilities!
    - BE HONEST! STOP LYING! STOP BEING DECEITFUL!

2. "Toxic environment in Oakbrook office"

I worked at US Census Bureau part-time

Pros

Some very nice coworkers, decent pay, interesting work.

Cons

Administration dehumanized people, wouldn't even look you in the eye. Atmosphere of repression and hostility. You couldn't even do your work because of the continued change in what they top management wanted. You would have to read their mind to know what to do and then when you tried to fulfill their wishes you would hear from your supervisor that it was totally incorrect and sub par work.

Advice to Management

Treat workers as human beings and show some respect. No one should be belittled and mistreated or worse ignored. You have great staff, if they could have any autonomy, level of trust, you would get 10 times more productivity and improve the abysmal morale.

3. "Stay away"

Former Employee - Survey Statistician in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Survey Statistician in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job security, pension eligible (but you do have to wait about 25 years to get a decent amount - wasn't worth it for me!)

Cons

Management in most of the regional offices is terrible. I would not recommend this environment for someone young, motivated & bright. Looking back on this job the only thing that learned was how to play office politics.

"U.S. Census Bureau Shoots Self In Foot"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at US Census Bureau part-time

Pros

The training was sort of interesting, and I did get a snapshot of how the ground floor of a governmental agency works...or doesn't.

Cons

I went through the 4 day training and was chosen--by post-training test scores, etc.-- to lead a group of census takers through the whole process. I told the trainer that I had scheduled a trip to see my kids months before, that would force me to miss the very first day (we hadn't been told the date until the end of the training). In addition,, I was given a "co" who was trained with me, & who was more than willing to work with the group for the one day. In addition, there was going to be a couple weeks before the group would get started, during which my co and I were supposed to get absolutely everything set up, discussed, and ready to roll. The trainer had really wanted me for the position and thought we had a great plan. However...his supervisor came at the end to see how we had scored, and to speak with us. When she heard I wouldn't be there the first day as "leader," she told me, "Oh, then you can't do it. You have to do it exactly as you're expected to do it." Straight government type!! And that was it!

Advice to Management

You want good, strong, efficient, reliable employees? Hire them!

5. "Rural Crew Leader"

Former Contractor - Crew Leader in Machias, ME
    Former Contractor - Crew Leader in Machias, ME

I worked at US Census Bureau as a contractor

Pros

Paid training, acceptable salary for the area.

Cons

Trying to work in a rural area within a bureaucracy that was designed for urban areas. My area was geographically huge with a small population. Yet, we had to have daily work assigned, collected, reviewed, corrected and mailed out every day, and had to use FedEx to do it. FedEx only had one pickup per day, and if you missed it you were penalized. I had a supervisor who was no help at all in coordinating the logistics of what crew leaders faced. We had to work daily way more than 8 hours just to get everything done, while at the same time being told no overtime, and no calls to the supervisor after 9 in the evening. I wanted to quit every day. But I hung in there cause I needed the money. It was an unhappy and stressful experience.

Advice to Management

Design a plan with rural areas too, understand the geographical burden and the lack of services such as Fedex when you're pushing your crews to meet deadlines.

6. "Field Rep"

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at US Census Bureau (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, work not confined to office

Cons

Bad management who tries to find reason to fire. Low pay

7. "Enumerator"

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

Having my own work hours was nice.

Cons

There was favoritism going on and certain coworkers were able to change their work hours as they pleased.

"A lawsuit waiting to happen"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Pros

No dress code, pay and benefits are good, flexible work schedule, a few of the supervisors are good. Good PT work for college students, retired folks who aren't trying to advance in a career and support a family.

Cons

Work environment is toxic. You have to deal with angry respondents yelling at you on a daily basis, you also have to deal with supervisors who don't know what they're doing, don't support you, and are on power trips. No dress code. Some of the supervisors reputed to be current or ex-gang members and I've seen gang symbols flashed by them at work. They also sport numerous tattoos, which makes a very unprofessional appearance for a federal workplace. Also, nepotism seems to play a role in hiring. Career advancement extremely limited, topping out at GS-4, unless you become a supervisor. Not good position for those trying to advance in a career.

Advice to Management

The authoritarian management style should have been left behind in the '50s. Start listening to employees and acting on their suggestions.

9. "Enumerator / Clerk"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

I worked at US Census Bureau (More than 10 years)

Pros

Can work as a second job.

Cons

Late hours, unprofessional office environment, due to nature of work and who's hired.

Advice to Management

Use personality screening tests to place applicants in best positions.

"Field Representative"

Current Employee - Field Representative
    Current Employee - Field Representative

I have been working at US Census Bureau part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

None except the hope of it getting better, getting more work.

Cons

No work-12-16 hours a month. On-call 24/7.

Advice to Management

Train field supervisors in handling people. Sweat shop mentality used on undeserving reps who are doing their best. Disrespected.