US Census Bureau Reviews | Glassdoor

US Census Bureau Reviews

Updated April 18, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • walking door to door in weather (in 15 reviews)

• Temporary position so no benefits (in 30 reviews)

1. "Great Pay"

Former Employee - Enumerator in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Enumerator in Long Beach, CA

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was great. We worked in teams and it was a good enviroment if you're a extrovert.

Cons

walking and household owners hiding from you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

2. "enumerator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at US Census Bureau part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great pay, flexible hours, nice manager, helpful

Cons

temporary job, only 2 months

3. "Field representative"

Former Employee - Field Representative in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Field Representative in Mesa, AZ

I worked at US Census Bureau part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Time is your own. Meet new people. Good pay.

Cons

Some people are not cooperative. Dont take it personally, just do your job.

Advice to Management

Communication between field rep and crew leader is one of most important requirements for success.

5. "Field Representative"

Current Employee - Field Representative in Coral Springs, FL
    Current Employee - Field Representative in Coral Springs, FL

I have been working at US Census Bureau (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great flexibility especially if one has small children. Great part time opportunity

Cons

Not enough hours if seeking full time employment

"Pretty good for what it is"

Current Employee - Field Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at US Census Bureau part-time (More than a year)

Pros

fairly flexible schedule, nice co-workers, decent pay and mileage; good training; laptop provided.

The Census Bureau has a very diverse workforce, which is wonderful. Young, old, and in-between. People of every racial and ethnic background. As far as I can tell, people of diverse sexual orientation too.

Field Rep positions are great for people who are retired or who are students and want to work part time.

Cons

The amount of available work can really vary.

You need persistence, "tough skin," and resourcefulness to be a Field Representative. You must be willing and able to go to the homes of total strangers and convince them to participate in whichever survey you're working on. You can't take "no" for an answer, and you can't take rejection personally. You must be able to go with confidence into neighborhoods that aren't very nice. If you don't like these types of challenges, I suggest a different job.

For some Census surveys supervision is done out of the regional offices rather than by local supervisors. In those cases, it can take way too long to get responses to phone calls or emails. I work in the Northeast region which is supervised by the New York Regional Office - can't say with certainty that it's the same with the other regions, but I think it's likely.

Budgets are always an issue (it's the federal government after all), and while I appreciate the need to be cost-effective and efficient, it seems that it's the Field Representatives and Field Supervisors who bear the burden -- the regional offices and HQ can seem quite wasteful sometimes.

Advice to Management

Reconsider the effort to increase centralized supervision of Field Reps. My experience has been that it takes more time (and more time=more $) to communicate with the regional office than it does with my local supervisor. It's also better for morale to work with a local supervisor - regional office staff just don't have a good understanding of our local situations.

7. "Telephone Interviewer"

Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Suitland, MD
    Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Suitland, MD

I worked at US Census Bureau part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Speaking to positive respondents from all over the U.S. and the people I worked with made this job exciting.

Cons

Being called off work due to lack of work and some of the respondents can be very rude and mean.

Advice to Management

No advice at the moment

8. "Survey Field Rep Review NYRO"

Current Employee - Field Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at US Census Bureau part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, work from home, independent work environment, meet a lot of interesting people either in person or on the phone, quick pay raises in the beginning, supervisors and upper management always express their gratitude for your hard work, positive feedback from supervisors give you more inventive to continue doing well, they pay you for mileage in addition to your hourly wage, training is thorough and you are paid for the time spent learning, chances to make more money, more hours by picking up more surveys, occasional travel

Cons

Low pay, you have to use your own cell phone to conduct surveys, you have to make personal visits to homes sometimes in undesired neighborhoods, many times you're "on call" when a survey respondent returns your call because it's hard to make contact with respondents, you work nights and weekends (because that's the best time to reach respondents), you are strongly encouraged to convert respondents that refuse into participants, expected to reach daily deadlines with a certain percentage of completed surveys.

Advice to Management

Should listen more to field reps' suggestions to help improve the survey process, should increase wages (we risk our lives every day that we work walking into people's houses that we have no idea what their background is if they're sex offenders or dangerous or not), and thank you for always being grateful for the hard work we do.

9. "Crew Lead Assistant"

Former Employee - Crew Leader Assistant in Rex, GA
    Former Employee - Crew Leader Assistant in Rex, GA

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent pay and ability to set your own schedule. Was able to work with great people.

Cons

Job ended way to soo

10. "Census work"

Former Employee - Non-Response Followup Enumerator in Rocky Mount, NC
    Former Employee - Non-Response Followup Enumerator in Rocky Mount, NC

I worked at US Census Bureau full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, decent pay for the area, pleasant work if you like your team. I'd happily do it again. It's a great example of how government work can really help people out in an economically depressed area, while increasing their commitment to their community and country. I wish we had more programs like this.

Cons

Though they do make an effort to protect you, there's no denying that Census work is not particularly safe. You have to go to people's houses, sometimes in dodgy neighborhoods, and interview them on stuff they may not want to talk about. I've worked more dangerous jobs, but census work did have its moments.

Also, most of the positions are temporary related to the ten-year census, so it's hard to find something permanent and make a career of it.

Advice to Management

Help your better and more dedicated workers out more if they're interested in seeking more permanent employment in the bureau.

11. "Field Representative"

Current Employee - Field Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Field Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at US Census Bureau part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible, work from home and in community. Decent pay. Provides materials needed. Pays mileage.

Cons

Work load and hours are sporadic.

Advice to Management

Find better ways of motivating field . Have benefits for part time intermittent employees.