US Chamber of Commerce Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
US Chamber of Commerce President and CEO Thomas J. Donahue
Thomas J. Donahue

Pros
  • Great place to build relationships and grow skills to pursue a career in Economic Development (in 8 reviews)

• I got to learn a lot about a Chamber and it's main functions (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management lacks strategic vision for the future of the organization (in 4 reviews)

• A lot of red tape and bureaucracy to wade through (in 2 reviews)

1. "Where I Learned My Professional Style"

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at US Chamber of Commerce full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's been several years since I last worked there but the postitive effect the Chamber had on my professional confidence, experience and composure is still very influential. It may depend on your department or supervisor, but I had a lot of freedom to try new things. The caliber of people you meet within the national membership is second to none. Several executive leaders stand out to me as people I learned from and try to draw from as my career continues to escalate elsewhere. Salary, benefits, perks, and attention to people needs are great, at least they were when I was there.

Cons

If you take this opportunity for what it can be, you can be great. If you give up at the first hint of bureaucracy and structure, you will get defeated. It's a large, policy-driven organization. It's a political organization. It is what you make it. If you catch the attention of the executive team, be sure to use that time wisely and impress.

Advice to Management

My time there was great. I appreciate the years of opportunity and the overall influence this has had on my career. Thanks for being a good employer.

2. "Nasty Work Environment - Stay Away!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at US Chamber of Commerce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Talented colleagues, okay benefits.

Cons

Bullying is a common management practice which drives away talented employees. Also, back-biting, credit-stealing, scapegoating, manipulation and lying are rampant. This creates a culture of fear, anger, and paranoia. If you don't like being treated like dirt, I recommend you seek employment elsewhere.

Advice to Management

It is tough to hold managers accountable for abusive behavior when the CEO is himself a tyrant and a bully. It is time for 79-year-old Donahue to retire and make way for somebody fresh. The Chamber desperately needs leadership that will set a positive tone and bring the organization into the 21st century.

3. "Network connection builder"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at US Chamber of Commerce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The chamber has a wide membership, vast business expertise and is a fixture in the DC government relations scene.

Cons

Very partisan, stodgy culture, non competitive benefits, leadership needs renewal.

5. "Senior Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at US Chamber of Commerce full-time

Pros

Excellent pay + benefits Professional work environment where your co-workers feel like their part of your extended family. Great place to start out if your new to Washington and the association world. Plenty of ppportunities to move into corporate sector and/or associations outside of the Chamber.

Cons

Overall lack of innovation and creativity. Very set in their ways. Not very open to new ideas.
    Technology is archaic, makes you wonder how they can represent American business. Membership is very much an old, boys network as is the leadership.
    Discourages telecommuting.

Advice to Management

Be more innovative and creative in the recruitment of new members and leadership, as well as how they connvey overall messaging.
    Be more open to technological advances and encourage telecommuting.

6. "director"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Bethesda, MD

I worked at US Chamber of Commerce (More than 3 years)

Pros

many fields of focus national/international

Cons

no comment on this issue

7. "Senior Coordinator"

Former Employee - Senior Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Coordinator in Washington, DC

Pros

Opportunities to engage with great companies and work on interesting initiatives; gives good perspective and understanding of how DC operates; Social work environment

Cons

Understaffed for what senior management expects you to accomplish and often unclear expectations; events are becoming the primary focus of the organization

8. "Executive Director"

Former Employee - Executive Director in Big Lake, MN
    Former Employee - Executive Director in Big Lake, MN

I worked at US Chamber of Commerce (Less than a year)

Pros

It was great to be a part of something that had such a focus on the community and it's members. I got to learn a lot about a Chamber and it's main functions.

Cons

Finding places to host events with only utilizing the members. It was very difficult being a team of 1 working at the chamber and it was easy to get overwhelmed.

Advice to Management

Sit down with the Executive Director and train them. Don't throw them into the mess with a 'good luck' attitude.

9. "Substandard Training and Management."

Former Employee - National Membership Manager-Sales Trainer-Recruiter in Plano, TX

I worked at US Chamber of Commerce full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The USCC has a critical mission to perform for free enterprise and small business in America. Up until 2000 it was very successful.

Cons

As a military trainer I know good training. In my 8 years all I saw was a subpar system.

Advice to Management

You need to change you 19th century management system to a 21st century system. Get out of the dark ages.

10. "Great DC proximity and perks, org is just-above average"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

The location across from the White House is excellent and easily accessible by metro, the food is also good from Farragut Park trucks. There are often high profile events and access to VIPs that provide a perk.

Cons

Management culture is not best in class and training could be higher quality and more abundant. The atmosphere is a bit bureaucratic and stuffy, but is by no means a deal-breaker

Advice to Management

More and better training

11. "Great Team!"

Current Employee - Summer Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Summer Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Chamber of Commerce (Less than a year)

Pros

-cool summer programming
    -professional development opportunities
    -working vertically. I'm the only intern in my team of 6--of which consist of the President of the center, senior directors, managers, directors, etc.

Cons

-The cubicle space in the office can be demotivating
    -The interns don't really have the opportunity to interact with one another unless there is intern programming

Advice to Management

Maybe find a way to make a huge room for all the interns to work in the entire program, so that the interns have the opportunity to get to know one another better and build off each other's work methods