KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

US Citizenship and Immigration Services

Is this your company?

US Citizenship and Immigration Services

Add a Review

US Citizenship and Immigration Services Employee Reviews about "uscis"

Updated Oct 6, 2020

Found 19 of over 259 reviews

3.3
US Citizenship and Immigration Services Acting Director James McCament
James McCament
Pros
  • "USCIS has a focus on work/life balance if you're a HQ employee and fosters telework(in 16 reviews)

• "Working at USCIS allows you to feel like you have made a difference in the lives of others(in 12 reviews)

• Cons
  • "I only stayed at USCIS for about a year and a half before I moved out of state for another pay grade promotion with a different Agency(in 8 reviews)

• "The time provided to do interviews, update systems, and write up cases in insufficient and forces Asylum Officers to engage in unpaid overtime(in 7 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "uscis"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Quality Work Place

Jul 1, 2020 - Branch Chief in Bloomington, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

USCIS has a focus on work/life balance if you're a HQ employee and fosters telework. It's a great place to share creative ideas and work in a team and independent capacity.

Cons

Some teams have much higher production quotas than others and management styles vary greatly between Service Center, Field Ops, Management Directorate, etc.

2. 1.0
      Former Employee

Warning! High Turnover, Terrible Management, and High Case load waits Asylum Officers

Oct 6, 2020 - Asylum Officer
      Business Outlook

Pros

A government job with sick and annual leave. They do provide health insurance, which you will need due to the toxic work environment you will most likely find yourself in.

Cons

The time provided to do interviews, update systems, and write up cases in insufficient and forces Asylum Officers to engage in unpaid overtime. If you get a backlog of cases, you may be written up and I have know people to fired for having a backlog. Managers (management) quality is very low. You are likely to get a bad manager and your experience will be terrible. You are viewed as only working there to make management look good. Promotion tends to be based on friends and who you know. The IT systems Asylum Officers use is 40 years old (USCIS tried to upgrade and failed). This makes doing the job very hard. You will be forced to engage in long trainings (the usefulness is debatable) in remote locations of the US to keep your job. USCIS tried to upgrade the systems spending 3 billion and failed. You will discover that RAIO is only interested in numbers. You will be forced to do weekly trainings that take away from your time to process cases.

4 people found this review helpful
    3. 4.0

Enjoyed Working in Mission Support

Aug 19, 2019 - Supervisory Operations Support Specialist in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

I worked in Mission Support as a Supervisory Operations Support Specialist within the Service Center Operations (SCOPS) division of USCIS. As a non-appropriated Agency, I liked how USCIS wasn't subject to Continuing Resolutions or other budget short-falls that affected other agencies. We were able to continue working on projects and providing goods/services that contributed to accomplishing the USCIS mission. Our Service Center seemed to get funding approval for just about anything that we needed or requested (within reason) for us to accomplish our work effectively and efficiently.

Cons

On a personal level, the only Con for me was the location of the job, and ultimately the reduced locality pay. I moved from out of state, which had a higher locality pay rate, to accept my position as a SOSS and the pay grade promotion from the previous Agency I had left. Due to the lower locality pay rate, I took a pay cut even though it was a Pay Grade promotion. I only stayed at USCIS for about a year and a half before I moved out of state for another pay grade promotion with a different Agency.

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 1.0
      Former Employee

It is not OK! High turnover and Unreasonable case load requirements, await Asylum Officers!

Aug 22, 2019 - Asylum Officer
      Business Outlook

Pros

The US Government does provide a form of a IRA, health insurance, and vacation. Many people are motivated to help people when the seek a job as an Asylum Officer.

Cons

The time provided to do interviews, update systems, and write up cases in insufficient and forces Asylum Officers to engage in unpaid overtime. If you get a backlog of cases, you may be written up and I have know people to fired for having a backlog. Managers quality is very low. You are likely to get a bad manager and your experience will be terrible. You are viewed as only working there to make management look good. Promotion tends to be based on friends and who you know. The IT systems Asylum Officers use is 40 years old. This makes doing the job very hard. You will be forced to engage in long trainings (the usefulness is debatable) in remote locations of the US to keep your job. USCIS tried to upgrade the systems spending 3 billion and failed. You will discover that RAIO is only interested in numbers. You will be forced to do weekly trainings that take away from your time to process cases.

13 people found this review helpful
    5. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Hours are Great, Environment Isn't

Feb 25, 2020 - Attorney in Bellevue, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working at USCIS allows you to feel like you have made a difference in the lives of others. The hours and benefits are stellar, and most of my colleagues are well-intentioned intelligent people.

Cons

Politics makes work difficult at times since priorities frequently yo-yo from one extreme to the other. Bad employees are difficult to get rid of, and abuse of complaint and hearing procedures ensures they prosper more than they suffer.

6. 3.0

Field Operations

Apr 14, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Enjoyed working with people that really wanted a better future for themselves and there family. And my coworkers were great under appreciated by management very much so.

Cons

When working in the Field Operations you have limited time to interview and write all your notes pertaining to that case. If you get behind that will ruin your all day time wise. I seen a number of Field Directors that only care about moving people in and out to make there numbers look good. I have witnessed that some people just want a pay grade and are not natural born leaders and they do not appear to care to learn either. The lower level managers GS-13 roughly are so stressed they do not live by USCIS core values. Because how they talk to there employees could be considered a hostile work envorinment. If you have a choice bypass the Field Office and go to a Service Center it is more relaxed and you get to work from home 4 days a week.

7 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

GREAT WORK & LIFE BALANCE

Dec 23, 2017 - Management and Program Analyst in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Exceptional flexibility to work from office or home (telework) up to 4 days per week telework! For highly motivated individuals, extremely attractive training & education benefits as there is no upper limit on the number of courses or certifications one can achieve.

Cons

Relatively high volume of staff turnover (mostly new hires or staff moving to other USCIS positions) hampers organization’s ability to codify protocols and normalize operating procedures.

7 people found this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Good place to work

Feb 8, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Upward mobility; good work/life balance for a large federal bureaucracy; transfer possibilities to over 100 field offices in the US; agency making concerted effort to encourage employee creativity/input into processes; the USCIS mission is important and impacts many lives ; job security

Cons

Front line work at field offices highly repetitive; salaries decent but won’t get wealthy working for a government agency; policy change process laborious and slow; quality of local leadership can have significant impact on office morale; harder to move into management positions if you don’t have the flexibility to chase the job openings at other locations .

9. 4.0

In balance, good

Sep 24, 2015 - Management and Program Analyst in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

I loved the people at USCIS and had a great time, the work was challenging I wasn't there for long (personal reasons) but felt that I could grow my career there The compensation was good Like every organization - there were good managers and bad managers - I thought my supervisor was one of the good ones

Cons

Government employment can attract people with the wrong attitude who make things more difficult The bureaucracy creates a drag on the system - like most government agencies

2 people found this review helpful
    10. 3.0
      Former Intern

Pathways Student Intern

Mar 8, 2016 - Anonymous Intern
      Business Outlook

Pros

A lot flexibility with the ability to telework, as well as good benefits. For an internship, I gained a ton of experience that helped set me apart from my peers. However, a lot of the work was mundane and I felt like it lacked purpose.

Cons

Very bureaucratic and often projects would move slowly. It seems like there is a lot of disconnect between headquarters and the field offices, and between USCIS and DHS, in terms of communication and identity. Many people were really talented and had potential but seemed unmotivated in their environment.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 19 Reviews