US Committee for Refugees and Immigrants Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Program Assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Committee for Refugees and Immigrants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Let's start by saying I love working at USCRI. Everyone here is so intelligent and passionate about the mission and refugee work that it is truly an honor to work alongside them. Not only that, but I am treated with respect and trusted to provide the organization with the highest quality of work. I feel that this level of trust allows me to excel. Not only that, the benefits here are great. You get 4 weeks of vacation your first year working here and while I have set hours, there is no one breathing down my neck if the metro causes me to be fifteen minutes late, or if I need to go to an appointment or leave early some days. Finally, I've found that my fellow employees have also become my friends. I truly enjoy waking up to go to the office everyday. I feel that I am a valued part of the team.

Cons

1. Due to the political climate, we have experienced some lay offs and some uncertainty. However, to me it is worth the uncertainty.
    2. There is some infighting among the upper echelons of the organization. This does not directly affect me... yet.
    3. There is a decent amount of turnover here, making it difficult at times to get to know people.

2. "Case Manager"

Former Employee - Case Manager
    Former Employee - Case Manager

I worked at US Committee for Refugees and Immigrants (Less than a year)

Pros

Really great working enviornment.

Cons

Poor job security considering current political climate.

3. "Helpdesk Specialist"

I worked at US Committee for Refugees and Immigrants full-time

Pros

friendly environment, ability to learn more in your field, supervisors help you when struggling

Cons

during my time there, i found no cons, people on here saying it's a decent place have an axe to sharpen. It's an amazing place to start your career and learn so much in your field. If you know what you're doing and your work is solid. you'll have a great time working for USCRI

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

"Political"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Feel good about your job

Cons

Lots of insecurity in team

5. "Case Manager"

I have been working at US Committee for Refugees and Immigrants full-time

Pros

Great benefits package and schedule flexibility.

Cons

Unorganized and unprofessional management at the field office I worked at.

Advice to Management

Communicate better with staff at local field offices.

6. "Great place to intern"

Pros

All of the staff was incredibly open and willing to teach, mentor and guide.

Cons

Wish there had been just a little more contact with other divisions within the organization

"Great Staff Bonding Over Horrible Management"

I worked at US Committee for Refugees and Immigrants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Mission
    -Diversity of staff.
    -Location.
    -Benefits.
    -Great staff bonding over horrible management.

Cons

-Upper management is completely disconnected, they seem to be more concerned with office hierarchy than serving clients.
    -Office culture prevents staff that are actually working with service providers and clients to advocate for themselves or others.
    -Nice mission, but it isn't really the priority.
    -Extremely high turnover rate....RUN!
    -Worst management experience I've ever had and I've been in the non-profit sector for ten years.
    -Overall, leadership is a joke.

Advice to Management

What would be best is for USCRI to start from scratch and replace the majority of upper and middle management. There is a reason this organization isn't as well known as others.

At the very least, this organization needs to act like they value their employees and ensure that those managing are actually capable of doing so.

8. "great place"

Former Employee - Case Aide in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Case Aide in Des Moines, IA

I worked at US Committee for Refugees and Immigrants part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, meaningful work, great environment.

Cons

lots of work, especially if you are a case manager.

"The Absolute Truth: Great Mission - Poor Leadership"

I worked at US Committee for Refugees and Immigrants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Benefits
    - Location / Office
    - Benefits
    - Multiple Locations

Cons

- Leadership
    - Work Life Balance
    - Management (Goes back to leadership)
    - Work Environment

Advice to Management

Here's the real deal....

The overall mission of USCRI is one that most people would love to connect to (read the mission online), but the organization is ran like a dictatorship. Most of management (e.g., Managers, Associate Directors, Directors) are given the job and / or promoted because they "do a good job" not because they are good managers. In fact, most of the managers are poor managers.

In all fairness, there are some departments ran like a gem (okay, maybe two departments), but the other departments...well there is a justifiable reason why turnover is so high. Their Senior Leadership consists of bullies who think little of the staff who work for them. Additionally, managers play the "blame game" and think their way is the best and only way.

In order for change to happen, they need to clean house starting with a sweep of leadership (get a true LEADER). Visit the bench warmers (aka - managers and above) in the organization and look at how they manage their team. If an intervention can be provided to them then DO IT....you owe it to your employees. Listen to your most valuable assets (your employees) and make the required changes.

In sum, leadership needs to pack their bags and give the torch to someone who can truly lead the organization. To the reader of this review, after 3.5 years working here, it's apparent that they do not care a toot about their staff.

PS: Don't get caught up in the reviews by the interns. Look at staff comments.

10. "Working Together"

Pros

One of the best places to work colleague-wise. Everyone is so informed and diverse which I truly enjoyed because there was always something 'fresh' about the work environment. Very welcoming.

Cons

There was some disorganization and a lack of communication that hindered projects from moving forward properly. However, being vocal about these issues and bringing solid solutions to the table helped solve those shortcomings.

Advice to Management

Make sure that projects have clear/defined goals otherwise they'll get left behind.