US Customs and Border Protection Customs and Border Protection Officer Reviews | Glassdoor

US Customs and Border Protection Customs and Border Protection Officer Reviews

Updated Oct 23, 2019

4.0
US Customs and Border Protection Commissioner R. Gil Kerlikowske
R. Gil Kerlikowske
0 Rating

"CBPO"

Current Employee - Customs and Border Protection Officer in Miami, FL

I have been working at US Customs and Border Protection full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, pay, over time, travel opportunities, and training.

Cons

Micro management, irregular hours, constantly changing policy.

US Customs and Border Protection2019-10-24

"Laredo, TX -Land border CBPO"

Current Employee - Customs and Border Protection Officer in Laredo, TX

I have been working at US Customs and Border Protection full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Overtime potential 35k max, 25k realistically; Great people to work with. Hugh Dallas Cowboy Country. Country Music...affordable living (per square footage) to purchase: Homes $50k for OK ; $175k for very nice. Decent size town

Cons

Tough work schedules. 16 hr work days, and 7 to 8 day' straight work' stretches. Government seniority detects opportunities. Hard to transfer out of Laredo, TX.Not great for city people. The nearest cities are San Antonio 2.5 hrs away; McAllen 2.5hrs away; Corpus Cristi 3 hrs away; Austin is 4 hrs away.

Advice to Management

1.Create overtime shift schedules of 4 hrs each, to prevent burning people out. Try 4-10 hr shifts for port staffing; or 12 hr day schedules...ask for volunteers to kick it off. Show that you care about work/life balances.2. Develop a working relationship with the UNION. 3. Open up training opportunities to younger officers aside from the seniority rules. To expose young officers to other opportunities thus giving motivation and inspiring. My opinion is seniority kills morale and forces transfers and rehires. While I do understand its the government. The old ways may not be the best way.

US Customs and Border Protection2014-09-30

"A federal law enforcement agency with a high school mentality."

Former Employee - Customs and Border Protection Officer

I worked at US Customs and Border Protection full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good resume builder. A lot of other law enforcement agencies will look upon your time as a CBP Officer with some interest. It is federal law enforcement experience, you do attend a 19-week basic academy plus 6-week Spanish language academy. You can use this job as a building block or stepping stone. However, there are serious internal issues that may work against morale and job satisfaction.

Cons

Lack of intellectual challenge. A great many CBP Officers just want a government job to collect a paycheck from. Nothing more, nothing less. They don't care about stopping crime or enforcing the law, just give them a paycheck and don't ask them to work too hard. This attitude is reinforced from the top to the bottom. Per the current union contract, managers can force you to work up to 3 mandatory overtime shifts of 16 hours in a row. It's unsafe, especially because CBP Officers are armed law enforcement entrusted to make sound decisions. Who can make a sound decision after 15 hours of work? Sexual harassment of females is ever-present at CBP. Many supervisors, chiefs, and even higher have a mysoginistic attitude towards females. In fact, many supervisors feel that it's their right to flirt with and attempt to pick up female members of the public while on-duty and in full uniform. It was truly embarassing to be associated with these slobs. Most supervisors lack training and knowledge are insecure in their positions. Therefore, they project their insecurities on front-line personnel through mistreatment and vindictive disciplinary write-ups. I was once ordered to write a false report for a supervisor to corroborate his write-up of another officer he didn't like. I told him "no" and promptly gave my two weeks notice. I didn't even bother reporting the incident to CBP Internal Affairs because I knew they wouldn't do anything and that the supervisors would simply adopt me as their new "punching bag." You can forget about being recognized for your accomplishments. On-the-spot awards are given only to officers that management likes. In one case, I saw multiple on-the-spot awards given to an officer simply because she was a supervisor's niece. Instead of challenging the system, I chose to quietly give my 2 weeks notice and leave without starting a fuss. Trying to stand up to the ingrained ineptitude at CBP isn't worth anyone's time. The realization I came to was that If you want a REAL law enforcement career try a local police department. They will likely have similarly poor office politics, but you are much likelier to work alongside respectable, hard-working individuals who care about helping their community.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if you all actually cared about enforcing the law isntead of sexually and verbally harassing officers and members of the public. Of course, in order to enforce the law you'd have to have the mental capacity to retain and apply your training.

US Customs and Border Protection2013-10-10