US Customs and Border Protection "cbp" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

US Customs and Border Protection Employee Reviews about "cbp"

Updated Jul 16, 2019

US Customs and Border Protection Commissioner R. Gil Kerlikowske
R. Gil Kerlikowske
Pros
  • "In addition to the pay and benefits, I felt that I made a difference in my community(in 17 reviews)

• "Good pay with the overtime; good job security not particularly dangerous for a law enforcement job(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Homeland Security and CBP are politically driven agencies(in 10 reviews)

• "Long hours, facilities can be rough in older airports/cargo offices, normal headaches that come along with managing union employees(in 9 reviews)

Reviews about "cbp"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Real Homeland Security"

Current Employee - Border Patrol Agent

I have been working at US Customs and Border Protection full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

We secure the Homeland, period. The job is very satisfying.

Cons

Homeland Security and CBP are politically driven agencies. The mission can become clouded by the administration in power.

US Customs and Border Protection2017-02-25
  2. "CBP Technician"

Current Employee - CBP Technician

I have been working at US Customs and Border Protection full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is a good entry level position and a way to get a foot in the door with CBP.

Cons

There is limited opportunities for training and caps at GS-07. Due to the GS-07 cap it is difficult to move to a higher paying position. If a person is not careful you can get stuck. Also this position allows for forced overtime and working holidays, it all depends on management.

US Customs and Border Protection2019-07-16

"Great pay but very hard work"

Former Employee - CBP Officer in San Ysidro, CA

I worked at US Customs and Border Protection full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Extremely great pay. It's tough the first two or three years, but automatic pay raises get you great money very quickly. CBP has great training. There are many opportunities to advance, or to put in for other positions and/or agencies. CBP is definitely a place to have a career. Great benefits, retirement, etc.

Cons

Not for the faint of heart. You wear a gun and train for deadly force for a reason. This can be a very hazardous job. Also, you have to "give up" your life. Overtime is mandatory, and most times you do not know you are doing mandatory overtime until 1 or 2 hours before your shift is over. Many, many days of 16 hours. By the time you get home and manage to fall asleep, the alarm goes off. This can happen once or twice a week, or even up to 4 times per week. No time for family. If you are single, it is great. If not, well it is NOT great.

US Customs and Border Protection2018-11-03

"Overall Rewarding"

Current Employee - Analyst in DC Ranch, AZ

Pros

Have grown a career and leaned lots of new things over the last 10 years I have worked for CBP

Cons

Hiring freezes and the lack of ability to move from one area to another. Some folks display favoritism.

US Customs and Border Protection2017-08-26

"Federal Officer"

Federal Officer in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at US Customs and Border Protection

Pros

Job security, and competitive Salary help to retain most employees within CBP.

Cons

Shift work, mandatory overtime, and lack of communication are 3 downfalls of CBP. If management would discontinue it's separation from the front line things would run smoother. Management has no clear idea of what day to day operations are like. Often 1-4 hour port tours are given breezing over nonsense that has nothing to do with the reality of the job.

US Customs and Border Protection2016-01-25

"Politically Correct Is More Important Than Agency Mission"

Current Employee - Mission Support Specialist

Pros

(Comment: I'm not sure why everyone's reviews here have not depicted which agency they work for. Is this something which should not be disclosed...?) I guess I'll go out on a limb here, and disclose my employers: I have been working for the FedGovt since 1995 (21yrs Jan2016). I have worked 10yrs with the IRS submission processing-data entry, 5yrs Federal Investigative Services Division (FISD) which is the background investigation unit of OPM, and currently with US CBP/USBorderPatrol. All of my co-workers, and peers throughout these 21yrs have been very hard-working people, and completely dedicated to each agency's mission. They have always been job-conscious, loyal, trustworthy, and a pleasure to be around. For me, that is the most important "Pro" for any career, or any job in general. My employment with the IRS was something which made me feel accomplished at the end of the day, and the workload was fast-paced. FISD was also important work, crucial mission to ensure background investigations for Federal employment were complete and accurate. USBP work is also fast-paced, but because of political influences, our mission is not always top priority. However, I do enjoy my work here, and believe I do make a positive contribution. The most important accomplishment any Federal worker can have, is knowing they make a difference, and in knowing they are providing their very best for all of America's taxpayers / citizens.

Cons

The management level employees I have worked with have always been a disappointment. Aside from the 10yrs w/the IRS, management with each agency have been extremely overpaid, lazy, and careless. With USBP the management staff are continually rotated in/out, leaving permanent department employees in a constant state of "re-inventing the wheel" syndrome. In the 6yrs with USBP, I have seen 7 immediate supervisor changes, 5 next level changes, and our Chief of Sector has rotated out 6 times now. The department I work in, currently has 6 supervisors for 13 employees... yes you read that right 6/13. Every time a new immediate supervisor comes in, they want to "change things", even though it adversely affects everyone in the department. It might be a law enforcement thing, but every new supervisor wants to "leave their mark" before moving on (even if it is unnecessary, disruptive or foolish). Each supervisor is assigned to our department for no more than 2yrs, but you would be amazed at the havoc they can create in those 2 short years! USBP also has a big problem with promoting those who are liked, as opposed to the quantity of those who perform. It's a buddy system here. You're either promoted "out" for being unliked, or promoted "in" because their buddy decides it to be so...and it's always a promotion to move along the unliked. Yes, there are some good leaders, but the ratio of good AND qualified remains a big question mark. One other "con" I have is how this agency abuses, and outright steals overtime benefits. Uniformed employees believe they are entitled to 2hrs OT/day even if they are not required to remain at work. Most of the time, USBP agents are hanging around, complaining of the lack of work there is to do in the office, but stay to collect OT funds. This is a HUGE ongoing problem, with no resolution on the horizon...ever. Overall USBP is a good-ole-boys-club for management level staff. The agents in the field are some of the greatest around. They are extremely frustrated with the political mess we are in right now as a nation, unable to complete their mission effectively, but they DO give it their all every single day. My hats-off to them. However, the over staffed management positions detailed or employed in USBP's administrative/office settings have abused their overpaid positions, and are an ineffective bloated element within USBP.

US Customs and Border Protection2016-01-05

"Great mission..."

I have been working at US Customs and Border Protection full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is a great place to serve the American people. Whether you are supporting the frontline officers and agents or working to create more efficient and effective tools to use on the borders or in the airports, CBP has a place for you to contribute in a meaningful way. Care to move around and try new things, it can be done if you are a top performer.

Cons

Senior leadership is not consistently on the same page as CBP faces a multitude of security and monetary challenges over the prior few years. More and more leaders seems to be "seeing the light" recently, but it will take some time before everyone is on the same page strategically speaking.

US Customs and Border Protection2016-01-18

"Risk aversive organization with limited management and leadership competence."

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at US Customs and Border Protection full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great mission. Facilitating safe travel and economic development is absolutely necessary. Purpose can easily be extracted in defense of our nation.

Cons

Bureaucratic and "old-boys" club culture. Very stratified. Commitment to the mission is evident in the "field" but is lip service at the leadership level where competition for position and power is evident. The mission is affected by the lack of collaboration between CBP and other DHS organization's.

US Customs and Border Protection2015-12-09

"CBP Officer:Good Pay, Retirement and Benefits But Watch Your Back"

CBP Officer (Retired) in Massena, NY

I worked at US Customs and Border Protection

Pros

Money if you like to work overtime is fantastic depending on location and situation. Plenty of TDY opportunities. Shift differential is 20% for mids , 15% for evenings , Sunday pay and double time over 8 hours or 40. Great upward mobility if you are become what upper management wants you to become. 20 Year Retirement as long as you stay a CBPO or other LE

Cons

Often weird hours and holidays as typical in LE. Leave can be hard to get when you want / need it as they are often understaffed to accommodate . You have to set up leave choices for the year by the fall before (usually). The big money comes working double shifts with turnarounds, it's great cash but hard on you. Getting hired is hard due to the polygraph procedure which is right of out 1984 "Orwell". How horrible this is depends on the examiner but their play book comes straight from Internal Affairs with orders to tear you down. Yes I have read it and I personally find it insane. FWIW since it's transition DHS has rated bottom of the list or second place at the bottom in the annual Gov employee satisfaction. survey. First and second level supervisor turnover is very high with many working a couple years then voluntarily busting back to regular officer. There is little or no positive interactive between management and first line officers and CBP brings new meaning to the term Micromanagement . You will encounter these conditions at every POE anywhere in the country with very few exceptions.

US Customs and Border Protection2015-11-13

"Customs Tech"

Current Employee - Customer Service Technician in Rosemont, IL

I have been working at US Customs and Border Protection full-time

Pros

I have continued to improve and a higher level of Customs Service both with CBP and the trade community.

Cons

To be recognized for my contribution.

US Customs and Border Protection2015-10-06