US Defense Logistics Agency Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
Cons
  • pay isn't the best as in the private sector (in 6 reviews)

• As with most other government organizations, there is a real lack of communication between departments and offices (in 3 reviews)

1. "General Supply Specialist"

Current Employee - General Supply Specialist in Hill AFB, UT
    Current Employee - General Supply Specialist in Hill AFB, UT

I have been working at US Defense Logistics Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hours, vacation, benefits, gym time, flex time, telework, very easy to move up if you have the motivation to do so. Love to stay, but it's time to live where I want to retire.

Cons

Government is full lazy people you can't seem to get rid of who do not contribute to the organization, and just complain about management but do nothing to help fix the problems.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the lazy people, lol.

2. "Warehouse"

I have been working at US Defense Logistics Agency full-time

Pros

Management stays off your back, let's you manage your own time

Cons

Lack of leadership causes too many co-workers to not do their jobs effective.

3. "Chief of Operations"

Current Employee - Chief of Operations
    Current Employee - Chief of Operations

I have been working at US Defense Logistics Agency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun place to work with great people

Cons

DoD civilians in leadership roles lack experience leading subordinates, lack structure, depend on others to complete their job tasks, unstable in their skills and abilities, and lack organizational skills

Advice to Management

DoD Contractor

5. "great opportunities"

I worked at US Defense Logistics Agency part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

DOD WARFIGHTER + and supplier

Cons

BIAS of hiring retired brass

6. "Best Agency to Work For"

Current Employee - Contract Specialist in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Contract Specialist in Columbus, OH

I have been working at US Defense Logistics Agency full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility of Work Schedule. DLA encourages Telework.

Cons

Not enough slots for progressing forward.

Advice to Management

Promote candidates if they qualify

7. "DLA.......McNamara HQ Complex, Fort Belvoir, VA"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Belvoir, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Belvoir, VA

I worked at US Defense Logistics Agency full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

On-site child day care is affordable and convenient. Fitness program allows up to 3 hours per week admin time for workouts at the onsite gym. Cafeteria has good menu, but expensive.

Cons

There is a troubling DLA trend of expanding the number of inexperienced mid-level GS-14 tier one supervisors. In the span of 4 years, I had 3 brand new inexperienced unqualified supervisors who were incompetent. In addition, they all assigned me entry level work even though I had been a highly regard professional with DLA for over 25 years. Two of the incompetent supervisors were hired from the outside and had no prior DLA background. The third one was a career burnout who had mental health issues from deployments to Iraq. Overall, my experiences during the last few years with DLA were absolutely awful. They treated me like a child and that caused a lot of resentment. And I wasn't alone. Many other coworkers also were mistreated and discriminated by incompetent mid-level supervisors. I would not recommend DLA as an employer whatsoever. DLA has a big problem with the way they select and hire GS-14 supervisors at Fort Belvoir.

Advice to Management

Too many incompetent mid-level supervisors at DLA. Management needs to throughly screen new supervisor applicants candidates and hire only those with true leadership potential and skills. Too many bad ones are slipping through the cracks and is hurting moral badly.

8. "acquisition"

I worked at US Defense Logistics Agency full-time

Pros

Flexible work environment, tons of government training, childcare on location, business casual dresscode

Cons

Serious injury resulted in quitting because reasonable accomodation was a challenging and time consuming process; co-workers were unprofessional about injury and management did not correct their staff on professional behavior. Lack of consideration given with defense surveys and civilian staff's sensitivities to content. PII lost by federal government seven times throughout my lifespan so far. Older staff appear to have overbearing superiority complexes and speak to new staff in that manner. Training programs are abundant but materials are quickly outdated. Resources needed to perform daily work are not readily available. Electronic resources, such as providing eProcurement manuals on line so staff may look up their questions themselves and fix the problem themselves, is not there or not sufficient enough; I am a self-starter and prefer to be able to review manuals and instructions myself rather than ask supervisors that do not use the system or have never performed the particular job task.

Advice to Management

Prioritize reasonable accommodation for short term disabling conditions kindly. Prioritize protection of employees personal information. Create electronic library or even paper manuals on the software system so self-starters can troubleshoot problems themselves.

9. "Depends"

Former Employee - Supply Systems Analyst in New Cumberland, PA
    Former Employee - Supply Systems Analyst in New Cumberland, PA

I worked at US Defense Logistics Agency full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Promotion potential, good pay, some great managers (others not so great).

Cons

Some senior managers are ineffective and drag down an otherwise good and competent workforce.

10. "Maintenance Mechanics"

Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in Richmond, VA

Pros

benefits and health insurance for all veterans

Cons

Not enough slots for progression

Advice to Management

Provide chances to everyone within organization

11. "DLA-TS Flexible"

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at US Defense Logistics Agency full-time

Pros

Flex Schedule, Friendly, helpful coworkers and management. Excellent training & growth opportunities. Great fed benefits, modern IT equipment, Interesting work, culture of accountability to those we service. Great onboarding program

Cons

Location & city wage tax Location & city wage tax Location & city wage tax Location & city wage tax Location & city wage tax Location & city wage tax Location & city wage tax Location & city wage tax Location & city wage tax

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work