US Department of Defense Office of Inspector General Reviews | Glassdoor

US Department of Defense Office of Inspector General Reviews

Full-timePart-time

3.4
US Department of Defense Office of Inspector General Acting Inspector General Glenn A. Fine
Glenn A. Fine

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Systems Administrator"

I have been working at US Department of Defense Office of Inspector General full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The opportunities to branch out, learn, and gain experience with all aspects of Enterprise Systems.

Opportunities for Training and Certification.

Cons

Budget constraints and practices that do not coincide with I.T. Procedures and Environments.

Career progression can be stagnant in single locations that are not competitive.

2. "Flexibility, but problems with senior management"

Pros

Flexibility, home work life, a

Cons

Consistent micro managing on multiple levels

3. "AFETS"

Pros

Great job if you can get in.

Cons

Management is a little restricted by policy.

4. "Great Agency with a Great Purpose"

Pros

Very engaged leadership. Wonderful place to grow in your skills and create lasting professional relationships.

Cons

Promotional opportunities are lacking. But, that is the nature of working in the government especially when budgets are very tight.

Advice to Management

Continue to engage and share what the agency is accomplishing. Recent changes have much improved the environment.

5. "DOD"

Former Employee - Contact Center Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Contact Center Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at US Department of Defense Office of Inspector General full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, location and free parking.

Cons

Top heavy. Training not consistent. Not enough opportunity for upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Listen to people when they give feedback on various forms of training that are not productive

6. "Working for DOD in DC"

Current Employee - Logistics in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Logistics in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at US Department of Defense Office of Inspector General full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Stable and secure position with good pay and benefits.

Cons

Passive aggressive environment with a perception of longevity and nepotism in promotion practices.

Advice to Management

Review employee turnover by supervisor and activity to focus on promoting a more productive work environment.

7. "Great starting company."

Pros

Great benefits and job experience for newly graduated people looking to start a career in their field. Great people and opportunities to travel.

Cons

Job comes before anything else. Following directions is the main key here and in some careers moving up is extremely difficult.

Advice to Management

None

"Pros and Cons of DODIG-DCIS"

Current Employee - Senior Special Agent in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Special Agent in San Diego, CA

Pros

Can be a great job if you like to do complex economic crime.

Cons

Might be too complex and slow paced for those that need more action.

Advice to Management

Research the mission carefully before you apply. Apply in person or via introduction only.

"Boring, Underworked"

Pros

Federal employment benefits; cafeteria is alright.

Cons

This was the worst job I've ever had, in spite of it being easy and low-stress. In my position, I was completely underutilized. DoDIG is comprised mainly of accountants and other finance-types, given its mandate to inspect the spending of the DoD. I was not one of these personnel; my job was as another type of support personnel at the GS-12 level.

I was one of about five people working in the same position, and was excited to start the job. It quickly became apparent, though, that there were five of us doing the job of probably one relatively diligent worker - perhaps two, given the need for some redundancy for vacations, illness, etc. In my nine months there, I think I performed about one pay period's worth of actual work. The rest was spent simply browsing the internet and being made to attend classes that were entirely useless for my particular field.

This was my first foray into the Federal world after having been in the military, and I was greatly disappointed by it. I understand that I was an outlier, as most people there seemed more or less normally utilized, but my job was so boring, it was impossible to maintain the façade of doing any sort of busywork. This is not exaggeration - my average day involved doing absolutely nothing but reading books and browsing the internet at my desk. There were several pay periods during which I did no actual work at all, and I know this because of the time accounting system that allows you to account for time dedicated to particular projects in 15 minute increments. Attempts to inject some variation or additional utility into the job were met with resistance by management (of course).

I'm writing this screed about the IG because I want to save anyone from potentially making a mistake that can cause them a lot of anguish. If you're moving from another area to NoVA to take a job here, think long and hard about it. Everything about living in that part of the country is a nightmare, particularly driving and parking. You will not get a parking spot in the IG's garage for about a year, in spite of it being at least 40% empty. That means parking in one of the garages nearby for about $1000 for a year, or living close enough to walk or get there by other means. You'll rarely get to leave Mark Center for lunch - there's nothing around. It's just devoid of anything but ugly apartment mega-complexes. The DC area is expensive and charmless. If you're interviewing there, try to press management to disclose what your actual day-to-day will be like. Working here might be okay if you're a military annuitant and/or you're already located in the area and are taking a higher GS position, but if you're young and expect to be able to do good work - even good work in a Federal sense - steer clear.

I was lucky to have only spent about nine months there before I was able to extricate myself and get out of NoVA. To be fair, it looks impressive to say you worked at the IG on your resume. It might have led to me getting my current job.

Advice to Management

Quit hiring people you don't need!

10. "Cyber Auditor"

Pros

There are typically interesting audits.

Cons

Disorganization, incompetency, lack of professionalism.

Advice to Management

Hire more qualified individuals.