US Department of Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

US Department of Energy Secretary of Energy Rick Perry
Rick Perry
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Nice work-life balance (government hours) (in 23 reviews)

• Great place for beginners to the Federal Government (in 10 reviews)

1. "Innovation stalled"

Former Employee - Senior Advisor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Advisor in Washington, DC

I worked at US Department of Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Department holds highly skilled, passionate and hard working bureaucrats who have deep understanding of energy technology and markets. It is not a regulatory agency, and promotes advances in energy generation, transmission, storage, advance manufacturing and more. two-thirds of the budget is allocated for nuclear weapons, fuel and energy management.

Cons

Used to be a great place to innovate and move US markets. The new administration has appointed folks who have little competence in government; many have no experience in the technology area they are appointed to oversee. The dysfunction and anti-science attitude prevents good staff from enabling further progress in any of DOE's mission areas.

Advice to Management

Appoint scientists and managers with science backgrounds. Avoid political agendas and make use of the extensive data to fund and manage energy programs that make sense in current global markets - and the climate.

2. "Uncertain direction...."

Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of Energy (More than 10 years)

Pros

They do important work in national security.

Cons

Tons of politics and bureaucracy!

Advice to Management

Choose leadership carefully.

3. "Cyber Security Analyst"

I worked at US Department of Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Few. The HQ building is old and really in need of repair

Cons

Lousy management, poor technology. Poor work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Fire inept management

4. "Savannah River Site"

Current Employee - Program Analyst in Aiken, SC
    Current Employee - Program Analyst in Aiken, SC

I have been working at US Department of Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere and growth potential is possible

Cons

You will not get mentorship, nor will it be easy to climb the ladder… many promises go unfulfilled

Advice to Management

Many employees and supervisors need to go… they are dead weight and kill employee morale

5. "Director"

I worked at US Department of Energy full-time

Pros

Good work teams that do not allow politics to determine their output. Good work life balance across the major organizations

Cons

Leadership has not consistently provided a clear and executable strategy for the workforce. Unrealistic expectations for its workforce.

6. "Great mission, no focus on employees"

I worked at US Department of Energy full-time

Pros

So many cutting edge areas of science and engineering in the all-important energy sector. The opportunity to work with really dedicated, smart people.

Cons

Focus by the political leadership on "employees" is always really about laboratory employees, who are contractors. It's not about the federal employees. So morale amongst the Feds is a constant issue.

Advice to Management

Turn some attention on fixing the morale problem among federal employees and the strained relationships with the labs will improve.

"Program Manager"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The U.S. DOE is a wonderful place to have a seat with a potential to have a significant positive impact to the nation. The people at department are passionate about the mission and have strong drive to make a difference.

Cons

The cumbersome and slow hiring process has severely stifled the growth of both individuals within the agency (stuck with their current positions, very few promotions occurring, because the system is so backlogged with trying to hire on new staff for long vacant positions) and therefore the agency overall. The ability to retain strong top notch staff is severely suffering as a result.

Advice to Management

A greater emphasis towards retaining existing staff members that excel, and equally valuing staff members doing equal work, while they may be younger and have more years in front of them in their career, needs to be made.

8. "Human Capital Intern"

Pros

The people are friendly (for the most part), the hours were not terribly demanding, and there are endless opportunities to network and meet people from all over D.C.! There are also opportunities to get involved with whatever projects are going on-- people are very open to sharing and collaborating, based on what I felt... but that's just one person's perspective.

Cons

There are a lot of barriers to getting meaningful projects, if you want to do work that impacts more than your one area of the Department-- but that is honestly typical of government agencies, and part of the checks/balances concept of government accountability. I was occasionally frustrated by the lack of clear direction for my internship-- I think they took me because I was a great candidate, but I had applied for a science-related position and they didn't have a specific project for me to work on, so my projects were often self-guided and self-initiated... which was hard for a science student used to clear expectations, especially without a background in HR. Meetings with supervisors were also somewhat hard to schedule, although they popped up all over the office and we could stop by if we saw them, which was nice.

Advice to Management

Be sure that you have clarified an on-boarding process for interns in the Human Capital office (and other Program Offices, if they don't have it). As for culture, keep up the supporting nature of the office, but challenge people too-- they'll rise to it, and I truly believe that.

9. "Great Mission and Goals, Poor Management"

Former Employee - Policy Analyst in Upper Marlboro, MD
    Former Employee - Policy Analyst in Upper Marlboro, MD

I worked at US Department of Energy (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fantastic, dedicated and professional staffers. Great benefits, education assistance and flexible work schedule options.

Cons

Managers had undisputed scientific, engineering and technical skills but had little to no people skills or managerial ability.

Advice to Management

Hopefully, agency is providing more managerial training that includes diversity training and is making it mandatory for all supervisors and team leaders.

10. "Great benefits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at US Department of Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary and federal benefits. Job security. Nice working environment. Many jobs are directed at really important things (energy, security, science)

Cons

Many long-term employees seem to have given up caring about doing a good job and remain in place to build their pension. Those entering before around 1985 (or a little after) have GREAT pension -- after that it drops to just good

Advice to Management

Better value the great workers. Be clear about expecting performance from everyone, even the "old timers" who seem to be taking it a bit too easy on the job