US Department of Homeland Security Reviews
75% would recommend to a friend
(1597 total reviews)
67% approve of CEO
Found 1,597 of over 2K reviews
Updated Dec 4, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Great benefits and a sold job to start out in the government!" (in 167 reviews)
- "Pay was good and would automatically increase over time." (in 96 reviews)
- "job security is good to have" (in 60 reviews)
- "Felt great to help people" (in 59 reviews)
- "Good Salary and the TSP match a good percentage of your investment if you partake in that program." (in 37 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of US Department of Homeland Security and is not affected by filters.
- 3.0Nov 20, 2023TSO (Transportation Security Officer)Current Employee
The mission is great, we have the potential to do well.
The work is under appreciated , some of us love what we do so we are here because we want to be . Leadership forgets that way too often, some of us aren’t “stuck” which is why there’s so much turn over ! Like honestly, Why be miserable because of a passion that I have when I can find better pay , hours and feel appreciated all while doing what I love ?!
- 5.0Nov 17, 2023Immigration OfficerCurrent Employee, more than 5 yearsIrving, TX
Flexible work schedule with telework and remote work opportunities.
The only thing Constant is Change. Leadership is relentless in their pursuit of process improvements. In addition, world events have a significant impact on our work environment.
- 5.0Nov 9, 2023Chief of StaffCurrent Employee
Provides opportunity to lead important missions that help make America more resilient to save lives and minimize future risk and impact.
Surging workloads for directors and executives with lower compensation relative to private sector counterpart opportunities.
- 4.0Oct 16, 2023Program ManagerCurrent Employee, more than 8 yearsWashington, DC
The best part about working for DHS is the commitment to the mission. Everyone works for the purpose of protecting the United States and not just to get a check.
Many of the systems are antiquated because of the level of scrutiny for protecting data. It can easily take 1-2 years to get a new IT system up and running effectively.
US Department of Homeland Security Reviews FAQs
US Department of Homeland Security has an overall rating of 3.9 out of 5, based on over 1,735 reviews left anonymously by employees. 75% of employees would recommend working at US Department of Homeland Security to a friend and 68% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 3% over the last 12 months.
75% of US Department of Homeland Security employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated US Department of Homeland Security 3.6 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.5 for culture and values and 3.9 for career opportunities.