US Department of Homeland Security Reviews | Glassdoor

US Department of Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly
John Kelly

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours, bad middle managers, and poor work-life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Dealing with upper management and leadership (in 14 reviews)

"Favorable."

Former Employee - Applications Adjudication Officer - GS 07 in Lees Summit, MO
    Former Employee - Applications Adjudication Officer - GS 07 in Lees Summit, MO

Pros

The work is rewarding, as one is really assisting immigrants in obtaining applied for benefits (employment cards, etc). I worked for the CIS National Benefits Center. The training is excellent and continuing. Initial training is done at the Federal Law Enforcement Traing Center, located in GLYNCO, Brunswick, GA, and consists of an intensive course in immigration and non-immigration law, with ancillary courses helpful to a career in the Citizenship and Immigration Service. Additional on-the-job training is provided, with off-site training in Dallas and elsewhere. The benefits are outstanding and senior management is vigilant about promptly resolving instances of job/employee discrimination.

Cons

Sometimes, production goals overshadow the need to be thorough in checking beneficiaries' fitness for benefits requested. I understand that there will always be tension between production goals and that which employees need to do to efficiently, yet accurately, do their work. I found my co-workers to be enthusiastic and competent, but stressed about meeting production goals while at the same time being accurate and thorough in their duties.

Advice to Management

Greater flexibility in applying production standards and goals to realistic situtations faced by employees.

"Accomplishment, Involvement, Professional and Personal Growth"

Former Employee - Intern, Strategic Sourcing, Office of the CPO in Washington, DC

Pros

Hours, time off, networking opportunities, pride, sense of accomplishment, opportunities for growth personally and professionally. I was involved in major improvements in recruiting on a national level. I had the opportunity to work on the weekly Hurricane Katrina budget report that went to the President of the United States. I also worked with the Program Management Council. This place gives you a strong sense of accomplishment on a national scale.

Cons

The pay does not correlate with the cost of living in the surrounding areas. However, had I stayed on instead of going to law school in Pennsylvania, I would have made much more. I lived with family in the area, which definitely offset the cost of living there.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

3. "Current Undergraduate abating an Associates Degree In Homeland Security"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

Pros

Protecting the US from another 9/11 accident, Gaining a better life for me and my daughter. Health benefits for the both of us; life security

Cons

the amount of background that will be able to see with out my permissoin

Advice to Management

the way things are said and how they are said will go a long with keeping faithful and hardwork employes.

4. "The US Department of Homeland Security is a place to grow and learn moreover, it a place you can be all you can be."

Current Employee - Transportation Security Administration in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Transportation Security Administration in Raleigh, NC

Pros

The best reasons to work at US Department of Homeland Security are benefits, paid leave, work hours, sick leave, promotion ability, and salary however, most of all job security.

Cons

Some of the downsides of working at US Department of Homeland Security are working weekends/ holidays, and interaction with the public.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be keep up the good work and listen to your workforce there are some good ideas in the rank and file.

5. "Security Manager"

Current Employee - Security Manager in Key West, FL
    Current Employee - Security Manager in Key West, FL

I have been working at US Department of Homeland Security full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Utilize your expertise to maximize the potential of your subordinates.

Cons

Small Airports can get very personal, steering away from fact to perception.

Advice to Management

If you feel that your time is up and you are not allowed or able to benefit a location then move on dont linger it is a career ending misstake.

6. "great place to work"

Current Employee - Trades Helper (Aircraft) in Elizabeth City, NC
    Current Employee - Trades Helper (Aircraft) in Elizabeth City, NC

I have been working at US Department of Homeland Security full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

pay, number of days off, hours, and fairly laid back attitude. outstanding co-workers that really know their jobs, and unlimited opportunities for advancement.

Cons

none that i have found yet.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work... and listen to your people. they know more than you think.

7. "gov't employment the best"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

stable, rewarding job in federal law enforcement

Cons

for some, the mobility clause and moving around teh country might not appeal to them

8. "Airport Screening"

Former Employee - Tso in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Tso in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at US Department of Homeland Security part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Pay, Steady Government Job

Cons

Standing on your feet long hours

9. "My experience has been very rewarding as an ongoing contributor to the policies that govern the security of travelers."

Pros

Making a difference in the lives of the traveling public; working with various levels of employees; multiple opportunities for growth and career development; and working for an agency that provides top notch policies and procedures for the security of the Homeland.

Cons

Long hours during specific periods.

Advice to Management

Mentor someone in your organization. Don't wait for the mentee to find you. Find someone and make a difference in their career life.

10. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Lead Transportation Security Officer in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Transportation Security Officer in Burbank, CA

I worked at US Department of Homeland Security full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great environment and lots of areas for growth

Cons

Micromanagement is a big problem here.