US Department of Transportation Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 31, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
US Department of Transportation Secretary Of Transportation Elaine Chao
Elaine Chao

Pros
  • Work is rewarding and good colleagues, and work life balance is quite good (in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits , if you are prior military you start at 6 hrs of annual leave per pay period (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no room for growth for anyone not an attorney or engineer (in 2 reviews)

• No one was ever on the same page and even if you produced exactly what was asked for, it still wasn't what they wanted (in 2 reviews)

1. "Poor management, got out what I put in"

Former Employee - Paralegal Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Paralegal Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at US Department of Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had the opportunity to learn a great deal due to the component's need for me to multitask. My immediate supervisor and the majority of the team I worked with were amazing. A lot of potential.

Cons

Senior management in my component was clueless and unreasonable. No one was ever on the same page and even if you produced exactly what was asked for, it still wasn't what they wanted. Little to no room for growth for anyone not an attorney or engineer.

Advice to Management

Get in the same page! And cut some of the bureaucratic red tape that is so unnecessary and counterproductive to the public and all initiatives. If you want to keep good employees, provide paths for advancement.

2. "Automation Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Mostly great people to work with, and a relatively positive environment. I enjoyed the work and getting to work with a diverse group of professionals within several "branches" of the department I was selected to work.

Cons

As an intern, a LOT of work was pushed my way that really had NOTHING to do with the job title/description I was hired to do. I was hired as an "Automation Specialist;" a term that is used VERY LOOSELY apparently in the federal government.

Advice to Management

Don't play favorites. If someone is qualified to do a job, allow them to do it. And obviously, help "interns" get permanent work if that's what they're seeking because you're getting first-hand knowledge of their skills set.

3. "Great Location"

Former Employee - Front End Web Developer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Front End Web Developer in Washington, DC

I worked at US Department of Transportation (More than a year)

Pros

Great People. Great location. Friendly people. So many new restaurants just opened. I love my lunch time walk on by the waterfront.

Cons

Work place can be a little loud.

4. "Liaison-Program manager"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, telecommute option, stable government entity more or less

Cons

Management has an aversion for decision making, slow hire and promote, not many opportunities for growth

Advice to Management

Work on empowering managers to make decisions and trust your workforce more

"About What I Expected"

Current Employee - Correspondence Management Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Correspondence Management Assistant in Washington, DC

Pros

As a federal job, it has probably been easier to transition into it from the military. It is easy to pick up the job tasks.

Cons

The work does not require much from the employee. The focus is on time physically in office versus actual work put in. The pay appears to be less than the national average for the work performed. Inherently, there is no room for advancement.

6. "Good experience as a student intern"

Current Employee - Intern in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Intern in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at US Department of Transportation part-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a student intern they let me choose my own schedule. I worked with the budgets and loved my work until I did it so fast that I had nothing to do.

Cons

Leadership has problems. Nothing ever gets done by the deadline. Several unneccessary meetings. Small company that no one outside the company is familiar with. Very slow paced.

"Proggram Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of Transportation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stability, benefits such as group healthcare in retirement and a small pension, and the opportunity to provide a public service

Cons

Bureaucracy, micromanagement, reduces pay relative to comparable industry positions

Advice to Management

Back off

"GDOTDOTDot"

Former Employee - R/W Specialist in Tifton, GA
    Former Employee - R/W Specialist in Tifton, GA

I worked at US Department of Transportation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

government agency, stable, equal opportunity employer, transportation and road projects, decent benefits, salary, 401k, pension, insurance, medical, dental, vision, short term and long term benefits

Cons

non qualified supervisors, no job security, no appeal process

9. "Good learning experience"

Former Employee - Summer Intern Inspector in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Summer Intern Inspector in Anchorage, AK

I worked at US Department of Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great learning experience, interact with multiple contractors, company vehicle.

Cons

Long hours during construction season, then nothing but paperwork during down season, may need to work night shifts

"Frustrating, but personally satisfying work."

Current Employee - Talent Development Officer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Talent Development Officer in Washington, DC

Pros

If you are resilient to too many political appointees, fifedoms, and overall ineffective government bureacracy, you will do well here. They have (in most areas) great work-life balance like telework, flexible work, and all. The senior leadership is pretty nice, but there are typically a lot of levels in between.

Cons

Poor first-line supervision, disengaged employees, unmotivated learning and development attitude, and an overall lack of strategic planning at the middle levels.

Advice to Management

Invest more in your people. Try to avoid having money go directly to the program offices without skimming funds for the agency (OST) to use for training and development. Trust me, you need it.