US Department of Veterans Affairs Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

US Department of Veterans Affairs Secretary of Veterans Affairs David Shulkin
David Shulkin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • upper management needs an overhaul (in 59 reviews)

• Inferior wage scale compared to the private sector (in 57 reviews)

"Dysfunction VA Benefit for our nation's Veterans"

Current Employee - Program Analyst in East Orange, NJ
    Current Employee - Program Analyst in East Orange, NJ

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Time off, pension, non combative atmosphere, and the possibility of working from home

Cons

Lack of structure, too much repetition, too much forms, no transparency in upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Know what your employees jobs in order to improve the process. HR needs readjustment on hiring and some transparency is important . If a Vet wants a job please stop suggesting only Housekeeping.

"Okay"

Former Employee - HOSPICE INTAKE COORDINATOR in New York, NY
    Former Employee - HOSPICE INTAKE COORDINATOR in New York, NY

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, willing to train

Cons

No benefits, no room for advancement

3. "Great people but difficult to get ahead"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in East Orange, NJ
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in East Orange, NJ

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are great, as is the environment

Cons

If you are a term employee, it is very hard to get a permanent position because you are ineligible to apply for permanent positions unless/until they are offered outside of the VA

Advice to Management

Let talented term-employees apply for permanent positions when they are first offered

4. "Compensation and Pension Advanced Medical Support Assistant"

Former Intern - Advance Medical Support Assistant in Northport, NY
    Former Intern - Advance Medical Support Assistant in Northport, NY

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment and coworkers as well.

Cons

Unorganized, They need to get it together.

US Department of Veterans Affairs Response

Feb 16, 2017 – Marketing Manager

When an intern calls you "ugly", you're ugly. I concur, "get it together". I have a feeling you are going to go far. Thanks for serving vets. DS

5. "Beach terrace care center"

Current Employee - CNA in Hempstead, NY
    Current Employee - CNA in Hempstead, NY

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time

Pros

Iam looking for better job better conditions better salary new beginning because has been workings for a longtime Iam under pay you work hard take care the resident you do the best job you can't take care your patients give them comfort and care deserve that's your jobs and responsibility to provide care

Cons

I want to help the people need help the most I want to looking forward for new direction in my life trying something new

6. "pharmacist"

Former Employee - Staff Pharmacist in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Staff Pharmacist in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working in the VA is a place to gained experience in different aspects of pharmacy

Cons

In general I had a great experience working for the VA for 31 years. I would like to work part-time for another hospital or pharmacy service.

Advice to Management

I have a lot of experience, hard working person . Enjoy people and providing services related to pharmacy.

"Toxic Culture"

Former Employee - Physician in Northport, NY
    Former Employee - Physician in Northport, NY

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Generous vacation benefits, sick leave, and pension plan.

Cons

Senior management does not have the proper educational credentials or training to serve as administrators. Facility VA managers are simply the cronies of those in top management at VA Central Office and their managerial style is toxic. Top management treats highly qualified medical professionals like children. Medical equipment is antiquated and the physical plant is crumbling. Morale amongst staff is deteriorating and trusted professional staff are leaving in droves. Staffing shortages have resulted in patient mistreatment and suicide among patients and at least one staff member. Do not put your professional standing and licensure in jeopardy by accepting a position here.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to receive professional training in healthcare management or leave. Learn to show respect and gratitude to professional staff who deserve it. Come out of the office you've barricaded yourself in and see the patients and staff you're supposed to be SERVING because the only people you're serving are your fellow cronies.

"Crime Scene Photographer"

Current Employee - Crime Scene Photographer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Crime Scene Photographer in New York, NY

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Job security is good and opportunity to transfer to other parts of the country.

Cons

Mismanagement, mass corruption and favoritism and nepotism.

Advice to Management

Get rid of corrupt managers. Adjust salaries to retain qualified personnel

9. "Budget Technician"

Former Employee - Budget Technician/Contracting Officer's Representative in Montrose, NY

Pros

Good hours, training and resources with decent benefits. A good place to work if you don't mind some down time.

Cons

Upper leadership is non existing. There's a lot employees that dodge responsibility.

"Surgical Specialist"

Former Employee - Chief of Service in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Chief of Service in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. Although I enjoyed helping Veterans and the Nursing Staff and Support Staff are Excellent!

Cons

The Management all wear these idiotic pins that say "ICARE". They don't care even if the pin says that they do. Top Management is abysmal. There is no teamwork. There is a culture of hate, racism, and sexism. Some of the managers are so old that they sleep in their offices. I had a meeting with one and after 20 loud knocks, he awoke and affixed his bow tie to his shirt.

Advice to Management

Veterans deserve better. Stop the culture of lying! Veterans want first class medical and surgical care not a free cemetery plot. Stop the culture of deceit, get rid of the useless octogenarians, and promote respect and adherence to US Law!

Showing 61 of 2,898 reviews