US Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

2,403 Employee Reviews

"Logistics"

Current Employee - Logistics
    Current Employee - Logistics

Pros

I came from the private sector where it is all about fattening someone's pockets while you work work work. I'll never go back to that. This job is fulfilling because you get to help our nation's hero's. Nothing can compete with this vacation policy, I have more time off than I'll ever use. If you enjoy helping others and not helping your CEO get his 4th vacation home, you'll like this place. Oh and the insurance and retirement are outstanding.

Cons

It is true about what you hear about Government employees. Just don't fall into that loop and you'll be happy. Don't let other peoples' negativity get you down, because when you look at these Veterans and realize what they went through, the piddly arguing goes out the window.

Advice to Management

Trim the fat.

Jun 16, 2015 – Department of Veterans Affairs Employee

Thank you for sharing your experience! It is invaluable to hear directly from VA employees. I agree that the absolute best part of a career at VA is the ability to help our Nation’s Veterans, and I ... More

2. "Complacent people in secure dead end job"

Former Employee - Veteran Service Representative in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Veteran Service Representative in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Paid time off, leave work at the door, good salary

Cons

Very little deviation from routine, boring work, most people are not working there because they dreamed of being government paper shufflers--they have little initiative and imagination, had to be at work at the same time every day though it's not client facing/no flexibility, mandatory OT for 5 years straight, lunch breaks are 30 min no more no less, skills don't transfer to other workplaces so you feel stuck

Advice to Management

No point in giving advice to management since there is so much bureaucracy nothing changes.

3. "Contract Specialist"

Former Employee - Contract Specialist in Duncanville, TX
    Former Employee - Contract Specialist in Duncanville, TX

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You work an Alternative Work Shift. 5 days 9 hrs days, 3 days 9 hrs, 1 8 hr day, and every other week a 3 day weekend. You get all federal holidays off. Paid every 2 weeks, according to how long you have worked for the government you get 4, 6, or 8 hrs annual paid leave, and 4 hours of sick leave every pay day. You are represented by a union rep whether you belong to it or not. It is beneficial to belong to it for other things. Like 15% off your AT&T phone bill. Several different types of medical care you can chose from. You get to see the clients you service. You get to care about the clients welfare. You get to say Thank you for your Service in peron and shake their hands. You feel like you are part of a team.

Cons

According to where you work it may not be on campus with everyone else. So you may find you need IT functions done and have to wait until they come to you are you are literate enough to make changes your self. You h a very to be extremely concise with Contracting because you are not available in close proximity. You can't go to the BX or cafeteria like everyone else. You can't see all the clients you help day to day. You can't say Thank you for your service in person.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanagement, that's why the clients feel inferior and why they get inferior service. When a person is worried about their job and how much money they make; it is hard to be concerned about another person's problems. Stop taking money and positions away from Hospitals and Clinics. You have all these reports that say baby boomers are living longer. They also need jobs, to take of those who live longer. Veterans complain about how they are treated. Workers don't want to work for less than they are worth.

5. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Registered Nure in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Nure in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of possible support for your veterans. Many different roles to find your best job fit.

Cons

Poor coordination of services all too often. That turns out to be the main job

Advice to Management

Build processes' by having actual workers make decisions instead of top down from management

6. "Great Job..work hard though"

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time

Pros

Salary..customer based. Veterans deserve help!

Cons

The claim load is very high.

7. "Patient-centered care"

Current Employee - Administration in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Administration in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

To serve our nation's heroes.

Cons

The Union limits VA's ultimate success and protects the poor performer.

Advice to Management

Familiarize self with Employee & Labor Relations

Feb 24, 2017 – Marketing Manager

Thank you for a great review and serving our veterans. DS

8. "VA Work Study"

Current Employee - Va Work Study in Saginaw, MI
    Current Employee - Va Work Study in Saginaw, MI

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to do homework while on job. Help transition vets

Cons

non everything has been great since I've been here.

Advice to Management

keep on keepin on

Feb 24, 2017 – Marketing Manager

As a manager that has supervised 4 interns, which is similar to work studies, I know it take planning to make it a good experience for both parties. I encourage you to keep the positive attitude and ... More

9. "I CARE"

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time

Pros

The Department of Veteran Affairs cares about its employees and our veterans! Its a great working environment and lots of opportunity for advancement

Cons

There are so many who need assistance and only so many workers.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Many are thankful for all of your sacrifice!

Thank you for your input! Inspiring! DS

10. "Marketing Manager"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Serving veterans. Fellow staff. A learning environment. Everyday can be different, I never get board. Benefits are better than most, especially 5% 401K match, ample leave.

Cons

Negative politics and media can be depressing. Intranet is slow at times. Rarely receive press of positive events.

Advice to Management

Forward March! Dr Shulkin is a talented leader with desire. I have had the time to brief him and he was someone that was a pleasure to work with. Humble and knowledgeable while respecting staff opinion. Reward good behavior and discipline poor behavior/ performance.

11. "Supply Technician"

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time

Pros

Government job with good benefits. If disabled veteran, easy access to health care through the VA. Potential to find higher paying jobs once you are in.

Cons

Shift work. If you stay in the position you will have to wait for someone to retire or get promoted to be able to change shifts and its according to tenure.

Advice to Management

Hire quality employees

Showing 2,403 of 2,550 reviews