US Department of Veterans Affairs Reviews | Glassdoor

David Shulkin

3,003 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • upper management needs an overhaul (in 65 reviews)

• Inferior wage scale compared to the private sector (in 61 reviews)

"Logistics"

Current Employee - Logistics
    Current Employee - Logistics

Pros

I came from the private sector where it is all about fattening someone's pockets while you work work work. I'll never go back to that. This job is fulfilling because you get to help our nation's hero's. Nothing can compete with this vacation policy, I have more time off than I'll ever use. If you enjoy helping others and not helping your CEO get his 4th vacation home, you'll like this place. Oh and the insurance and retirement are outstanding.

Cons

It is true about what you hear about Government employees. Just don't fall into that loop and you'll be happy. Don't let other peoples' negativity get you down, because when you look at these Veterans and realize what they went through, the piddly arguing goes out the window.

Advice to Management

Trim the fat.

US Department of Veterans Affairs Response

Jun 16, 2015 – Department of Veterans Affairs Employee

Thank you for sharing your experience! It is invaluable to hear directly from VA employees. I agree that the absolute best part of a career at VA is the ability to help our Nation’s Veterans, and I... More

2. "Federal"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and retirement. Don't have to worry about insurance regulations/limitations. You can actually be a therapist

Cons

Limited resources, govt policies change a lot, communication between departments is lacking.

Advice to Management

Spend more time in the departments you are managing. Look for what is important to the Veterans and your employees instead of the most recent story in the news. Also, invest more in employee satisfaction and health promotion for Vets and employees. Be proactive not reactive.

3. "Legal Administrative Specialist National Pension Call Center"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Best call center in the world to work for. Good pay for what the job is. Stable. You don't need to take work home with you. Really great environment.

Cons

It is still a call center, the calls keep coming in some days. Limited options for promotion after a certain point unless you get other experience.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and get the message out there about how much awesome work we do.

4. "James J. Peters VA Medical Center is Great!"

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time

Pros

Federal; collaborative practice; benefits; workplace culture; friendly staff

Cons

Some staff members are extremely lazy

5. "ICARE Values"

Current Employee - Nurse Educator in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Nurse Educator in Wichita, KS

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

One of the best reasons to work at the VA is the privilege of caring for our Nations finest people AKA Veterans. It is an honor to serve and care for those that have served our nation. The core of our staff feel the same way. Our staff strive for providing the best, timely and up-to-date care offered anywhere.

Cons

We are not perfect, but neither is anywhere else. Sometime the government process takes longer than we like but we still strive through process improvements to make things better.

6. "Good company, competitive benefits"

Current Employee - Health Technician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Health Technician in Austin, TX

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very stable job. GS employee. Excellent benefit, military friendly.

Cons

The VA gets a bad rap, a lot of patients are in very bad health- makes job very trying. Patients sometimes have unrealistic expectations.

Advice to Management

N/A

7. "Program Support Assistant"

Current Employee - Program Support Assistant
    Current Employee - Program Support Assistant

Pros

Great benefits, great schedule, great training provided overall.

Cons

Having one supervisor but having to answer to 5 or more supervisors with different goals.

Advice to Management

Meet with the actual supervisor and let that supervisor work with their employees.

8. "Med/Surg RN"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Charleston, SC

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Veterans are an honor to care for. Decent job security and priority of federal positions if federal employee.

Cons

Facilities very top heavy, a lot of management figures while nurse workforce is usually short. Staff not always held accountable for responsibilities, little support for nurses overseeing ancillary staff. Workload can be unreasonable at times.

Advice to Management

Nurses are overworked and underpaid. Need more support, physically and figuratively

9. "Hudvash"

Current Employee - Social Worker in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Social Worker in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Pay is good benefits are good

Cons

Administration is difficult. Tuff to meet demands

10. "Greatest Mission-the Job is its Own Reward"

Current Employee - Attorney in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Attorney in Washington, DC

Pros

You are helping people who truly need it. Good technological support. Work at home opportunities.

Cons

Management is in flux, and the Board has had challenges finding its footing; however, Congress has just approved its first Chairperson in 8 or so years, and VA has recently be granted budget increases for technology and hiring..

Advice to Management

Continue efforts at internal communication. It is working.

Showing 3,003 of 3,205 reviews