US Department of Veterans Affairs Reviews | Glassdoor

David Shulkin

3,001 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • upper management needs an overhaul (in 65 reviews)

• Inferior wage scale compared to the private sector (in 61 reviews)

1. "A great place to work!!!"

Current Employee - Visual Information Specialist in Topeka, KS
    Current Employee - Visual Information Specialist in Topeka, KS

Pros

The pay is great, the benefits are even better, and working for Veterans makes a person feel good at the end of the day.

Cons

Most employees have been here for years. Almost everyone knows everyone else. A new person can find it difficult to integrate.

Advice to Management

I personally feel they need to embrace change and technology more. Healthcare is a fast paced environment. Change is inevitable.

"Portland VA Hospital is a great place to work."

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Portland, OR

Pros

Staffing is adequate. Beautiful views of Portland and surrounding areas. Veterans are great to work with and many personal awards for doing this. People are great to work with on the units.

Cons

Overall large pay cut to come to work for the Portland VA (government job). The benefits somewhat make up for it but are rapidly going up while the wages remain about the same.

Advice to Management

Don't just give the RN's huge pay raises then keep all other staff frozen in limbo. I have many LPN friends who were not happy working here because of the attitude towards the group as a whole. LPN's are not Certified Nurses Assistants but many times are put off by upper management staff as not knowledgeable even though they may have more years experience on the floors and even more training in specialty areas. As for my disapproval for leadership of the Department of Veterans Affairs I feel more emphasis needs to be given to helping the veteran out in the community during times of need maybe making a hospitalization for stress and other emotional factors that play into PTSD unnecessary. I am tired of watching veterans discharged to the streets with lists of possible shelters they may find help at. This is bemeaning to the veteran and reflects poorly on us as Americans.

3. "Awesome"

Pros

Opportunities to move around within the VA.

Cons

I don't have any downsides as of now.

Advice to Management

Local Management should work with their subordinates.

4. "Great learning environment"

Current Employee - Pharmacy in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Use of cutting edge technology and willingness to try different methods to improve patient safety and patient outcomes. The staff is very willing to teach.

Cons

Because the environment is so good, there is little opportunity for employment as a medical professional at the VASF. Sometimes the bureaucracy can be a bit trying.

Advice to Management

Continue to think outside the box to provide continual learning opportunities for students as well as your staff. Come up with ideas or solicit ideas of how to streamline processes to make the workflow more efficient and safer outcomes for patients.

"The VA is a great place to work with the best mission on the planet - caring for our Veterans!"

Current Employee - Healthcare Recruiter in Leavenworth, KS
    Current Employee - Healthcare Recruiter in Leavenworth, KS

Pros

Stable work environment, government employment, work-life balance, exceptional pay & benefits, salary growth, the mission.

Cons

Bureacratic, inefficiency, pockets of low performing government employees with a lack of focus on the mission or results and a fixation on inept processes, automatic pay increases, robust union presence,

Advice to Management

Tie income to performance, allow more telework and flexible work schedules, adopt a "results oriented work environment," improve suggestion program, utilize performance metrics in more non-clinical professions, increase systesm redesign efforts,

6. "I love the job that I'm doing it is very fulfilling"

Current Employee - Engineering Helper in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Engineering Helper in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Pay and benefits re great

Cons

can be stressful at times

"Very intensive and detail oriented"

Current Employee - Veteran Service Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Veteran Service Representative in San Diego, CA

Pros

It is an honor to serve our Veterans. There is so much to learn in all things government. Most of the employees are veterans themselves and as a veteran myself it its nice to be surrounded by people who care and understand how important it is to take care of our veterans.

Cons

Working in a cubicle can get old real quick unless you do not mind being in front of a computer screen all day.

Advice to Management

More application training and less legal training.

8. "Working for the VHA"

Former Employee - CIO and Business Office Manager in Erie, PA
    Former Employee - CIO and Business Office Manager in Erie, PA

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The number one BEST REASON to work for the VHA is the Veterans!
    - The opportunity to be a good steward of taxpayers resources; a great public service opportunity for those looking to contribute to a cause bigger than themselves.
    - Challenge pure and simple; the challenge to make each day better than the last for Veterans and their families.
    - Being part of leading edge developments in the largest health care organization in the nation.
    - Career broadening and self improvement. For those willing to work the sky is the limit.

Cons

Very few negatives from my perspective.

- Too many reports to management on how management is doing; a.k.a. ACTION ITEMS. Many of the actions add to the workload of local staff when the answers are already available to senior staff at central or regional offices through a myriad of automated solutions.

Advice to Management

- Leverage the data mining assets available to you "BEFORE" you issue the action items! The locals will be forever grateful.

"great place tO wOrk"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

super chill and hella innOvative

Cons

pOlitics yOU always have tO deal with

Advice to Management

can yOu please coNsider mORE tea in the break rOOm? I dON't drink cOffee

"The most eye opening and rewarding jobs I've had."

Current Employee - Public Affairs Officer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Public Affairs Officer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

What could be better than giving back to those who fought for our country and freedom? VA has been rewarding to me both personally and professionally. I have really opened by eyes to a lot of behind-the-scenes to our country's most valuable people, Veterans and Servicemembers. I have been afforded great opportunity to learn, grow and do what makes me happy with the VA.

Cons

There should be a way to move up to higher jobs when you have the skill set and knowledge to do so but certain limitations make this a challenge, however, it definitely builds character to work your way up and work hard to get there.

Showing 3,001 of 3,203 reviews