US Department of Veterans Affairs "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

US Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated 4 Oct 2019

3.4
US Department of Veterans Affairs CEO  Robert Wilkie
Robert Wilkie
Pros
Cons
  • "Federal job so you get paid a lot less then your private sector counterparts(in 83 reviews)

• "Management hired was fired by previous employee yet is in upper management(in 76 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews

"Excellent job"

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Pros

Great benefits and love helping the veteran population. The pay is awesome and my co-workers are the best! Very special place and so glad that I can make a difference.

Cons

Very political. Supervisors and the upper management are not supportive to the employees. The want the work done fast but not recognition.

Advice to Management

They need to take suggestions seriously.

US Department of Veterans Affairs2017-08-19

"They don't care about employees"

Current Employee - Nursing in Dublin, GA

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A BIG MESS FROM TOP TO BOTTOM

Cons

I work at the Carl Vinson VA upper management - unskilled, not organize, poor communication, not care about lower staff , doesn't work on issues employee survey, swept a lot of thing under the rug, plays favorites and will promote people with lack of education and skills, no true leadership, lack of knowledge, allow veterans to do whatever with no consequences, just about making numbers not treatment, Lower... management-very lazy pass their work to lower employees, show strong favortism over staff and veterans, allow staff to be bullied or bully lower staff, racism, sexism, not willing to make staff halfway on concerns, don't care about work/life issues with lower staff , will lie to you, main reason for turnovers , not open for suggests, give uneven workloads, favorites get what they want, take FULL advantage of their positions. All other staff some good and some bad, lazy if they can get away with it, a lot of butt kissers, rude to other staff and veterans, older staff stick in their ways, poor veteran care in some areas, its a soapbox, some hideout to avoid work. OUT FIVE PLACES WORST HOSPITAL I'VE WORKED FOR. Not a safe and friendly environment so staff will not even say hi back in the hallway to other staff and even Veterans.

Advice to Management

Training on the issues from survey, more advancement opportunities,

US Department of Veterans Affairs2019-10-05

"Disorganized Requiring Outsourcing"

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Pros

Remote/ Telecommute Ready with some systems in place for structure for on-boarding have begun.

Cons

I mostly concur with other 1 and 2 star reviews. • Culture not as good as the Private Sector • Upper Management Does Not Like Challenged • Hire Quick Fire Quicker • Ego of upper management • Derogatory Locker Room Condescending when not performing. • expected to wait to be told what to do • boredom • wasted time • under utilized • political • infinite on boarding

Advice to Management

I would retire if I were management. Not because of age, but because of ego.

US Department of Veterans Affairs2019-08-15
  4. "Former RN"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse, BSN

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great time off and sick leave accruement.

Cons

Ever changing upper management and difficulty creating change in the workplace.

US Department of Veterans Affairs2019-08-01

"Okay if you can deal with Bs"

Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Nashville, TN

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits, Pay, Pension, and Schedule

Cons

Lazy employees, management is poor, decisions made by people who do not work the frontline. Growth in based on who you know and not qualifications. Management hired was fired by previous employee yet is in upper management.

Advice to Management

Include staff in work changes instead of implementing them without notice.

US Department of Veterans Affairs2019-07-04

"Corruption corruption and more corruption"

Current Employee - I Work In FMS in New York, NY

Pros

Job security and that is it.

Cons

The management is stacked chock full of cronies and if you are not in the right circles you will be frozen out of opportunities. God help you if you cross one of the many egomaniacs in middle to upper management. HR is a great spot to work. It is full of overpaid, underpaid power trippers. The VA is concerned the the ILLUSION of things being right. This means they care about data and numbers but doing the... right thing, veterans, employees and other matters are of a much lessor concern.

Advice to Management

Fire all management and start again. The culture is rotten to the core and beyond saving. You have to start over much like you would need to do in congress.

US Department of Veterans Affairs2019-04-20

"MSA Supervisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Riverside, CA

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay is decent, especially with locality differential.

Cons

If I could give less than one star I would. The facility I worked in had THE WORST Mortality rate in the Nation. They are very cavalier about health and safety issues. First line managers are trapped. If they express concerns they are labeled a trouble-maker. If they go-along to get-along they are violating numerous health/safety, privacy laws, and employment/fair labor practices. Then there are the unions. First... line supervisors are non union, but they are railroaded constantly by upper management. If they upset a union employee (subordinate) because of trying to hold that staff member accountable, they run to the union or EEO, with false allegations of bias, racism, and sexual harassment. Upper management, rather than supporting their front line supervisors, beats them (figuratively) into submission. They placate the union employees and foster a good 'ole boys environment. The VA has all kinds of cute little acronyms regarding safety, integrity and customer service, but it is laughable because mid to upper management do not subscribe to it or follow it. This allows them to check a box and say, "see look at how we are changing and doing better." It's a shell game.

Advice to Management

Listen when people with more experience than you tell you staff are doing things illegally, even if they are in your chain of command. Peoples lives and safety are on the line. Don't punish truthful people and hide behind bogus, vague policies and discipline them because it easier than doing the RIGHT thing.

US Department of Veterans Affairs2019-01-24
  8. "RN"

Current Contractor - Registered Nurse in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits and certain areas are easy to work in

Cons

More improvement with management and upper management

Advice to Management

Be more open minded

US Department of Veterans Affairs2018-07-29

"nurse"

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time

Pros

Benefits, facilities, co-workers, research based and a lot of money to play around with. It is the government after all.

Cons

Most middle and upper management that aren't going anywhere. Trained to torment and get rid of up and comers that are threatening their idol livelihoods. Process to get in is insanely tedious but once you are in you can screw up worse than anyone could imagine and get promoted!

Advice to Management

Does it really matter? No it is a government job, nothing will change because there is no incentive too change.

US Department of Veterans Affairs2018-04-20

"Worst job I've ever had"

Former Employee - Administrative in Denver, CO

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time for more than a year

Pros

the veterans are amazing and the providers truly care about their patients

Cons

worst management I've ever experienced. Motivated by wheeling power, terrible leadership, upper management refuses to address serious personnel issues. Complained to the EEO department about bullying in the work place. Instead of addressing the issue they just move employees around. Until a manager literally threaten and attempt to light someone on fire did they take these complaints seriously

Advice to Management

clean house and start new. Get some new blood in place, people with real world management experience, not just employees who have stuck around the longest. Reward strong work, bonuses and promotions should be based on merit not a popularity contest. Pay your employees in a timely manner. Having to wait 6 weeks for a paycheck is 6 weeks too long

US Department of Veterans Affairs2018-05-08