US Fish and Wildlife Service Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
  • Culture is relaxed, good work/life balance, pay, benefits and stability (in 4 reviews)

• relaxed work environment, lots of time off, opportunity to work in scenic places (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • As with any federal agency there is A LOT of red tape to deal with (in 6 reviews)

• Federal government employees are frequent skapegoats by political interests (in 3 reviews)

1. "Best mechanical engineering job I ever had."

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Denver, CO

Pros

The US Fish and Wildlife Service is a conservation agency. The work done there protects our wildlife resources nationwide. You work 40 hours per week and that's all. If you absolutely have to work more, you get compensated. You travel during your normal work week, not on your own time. The people you work with are, with very few exceptions, very nice and easy to work with. The pay is not as high as in the private sector, but the work-life balance is MUCH better.

Cons

The Federal Government has MANY rules and regulations that can be frustrating. But every work environment has frustrations.

Advice to Management

The management in the office I worked in was great. I have absolutely no advice to give them except keep doing what you're doing.

"Loved my job but no support."

Former Employee - Fish and Wildlife Biologist in Lakewood, CO
    Former Employee - Fish and Wildlife Biologist in Lakewood, CO

Pros

Wonderful staff. Great mission. Good work/life flexibility policies. Opportunities for advancement. The work is diverse and I was constantly learning. Never boring. So many talented, dedicated workers.

Cons

Terrible funding. Poor communication between region and field offices. Multiple branches of the FWS but they do not communicate well with each other. Always being asked to do more with fewer and fewer resources and people. Priorities constantly shifting and changing, which is understandable, but poor communication from management compounds this issue. Morale very low in the division I was in. Incompetent people get promoted.

Advice to Management

Improve communication. Either hire more people or be realistic about what can be accomplished. There is no way to do what is expected with the resources available. Stop promoting incompetent people just because you don't know what else to do with them. Field supervisors are rarely if ever held accountable for poor management, partly because their supervisors are located hundreds of miles away in a regional office. Employees should be able to rate supervisors too. If every person that works for someone has serious, legitimate concerns about their professionalism or competence, that should be considered. I've seen these situations so many times and the manager ends up getting a promotion and moving on. You're losing good biologists because of terrible managers.

"R4- B&A Poorly Managed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at US Fish and Wildlife Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AWS when approved. Benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Favoritism is abundant and the ones who are favored are not even competent. Ridiculous.

Advice to Management

None because they are the problem!

"Politics at their Worst"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Arlington, VA

Pros

An opportunity to make substantial contributions in preserving wildlife and national resources.

Cons

Management changes as the political winds blow. I got in trouble for complying with a direct request from the Secretary of the Interior. I was directly instructed by the Chief, National Wildlife Refuge System not to accompany the Director, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to a briefing being presented to the Secretary of the Interior; however, the Director, USFWS was having problems with running the PowerPoint I helped him create and he requested that I run the briefing before the Secretary. When the Chief, NWRS found out that I disobeyed his instructions and accompanied the Director, USFWS to the briefing to the Secretary, he accused me of purposely making the PowerPoint presentation too difficult for the director to run and attempted to have me removed from federal service. When I hired an attorney and fought them, they backed down and I ended up resigning from the NWRS. When the administration was contemplating allowing drilling for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, the NWRS leadership (all appointees of the prior Democratic national leadership), they openly criticized the White House and did everything they could to go against the wishes of the Republican Administration. A senior supervisor who walked home for lunch everyday and frequently came back smelling of alcohol, and who was one of the first people every afternoon in a nearby bar, was not only tolerated but revered by senior management. This senior supervisor's behavior was tolerated instead of getting the individual medical treatment or dismissing them from federal service.

Advice to Management

Make decisions that are best for the long-tern welfare of both employees and the Refuge System and stop making things political.

"How I Feel"

Current Employee - Wildlife Refuge Specialist in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Wildlife Refuge Specialist in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at US Fish and Wildlife Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, working with others who care about the future generations and providing them with an outdoor experience that resembles something from days past. Training opportunities.

Cons

Sometimes those in the regional offices and at national headquarters forget to think like the field-going personnel. Often field issues are hashed out at a level that is much too high to truly see the problem.

Advice to Management

Remind your employees that it truly is what they make of it. You have to work at something to make it truly worth your time. Do not be afraid to put yourself out there.

7. "Government employment with DOI Agency"

Current Employee - Management and Program Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Management and Program Analyst in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Great benefits to include telework, 401-k matching, health insurance.

Cons

Equal Employment Opportunity program. Too many employees using this process as a shield when they do not like or agree with management. Agency is slow to fire poor performers.

"Great Workplace"

Former Employee - Assistant Regional Director in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Regional Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at US Fish and Wildlife Service (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Mission and its people. Best conservation agency and best places to work. Your office can be at multiple beautiful locations across the Nation.

Cons

Not the place to work, if you don't like the outdoors or prefer a depressive office to spent your days.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and continue your emphasis in connecting people with nature. We need for people to make that connection if our planet is to survive and support us.

9. "Great Place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Fish and Wildlife Service full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Mission, the people, work environment, the organizational culture--all great. One of the best in the federal government.

Cons

Federal government employees are frequent skapegoats by political interests. This results in reduced budgets, lack of proper recognition, and morale issues.

Advice to Management

Communicate and break down silos and bubbles.

10. "Youth Conservation Corps"

Former Employee - Youth Conservation Corps in Neosho, MO
    Former Employee - Youth Conservation Corps in Neosho, MO

Pros

Everyone is very helpful. The job is laid back and the other workers are extremely nice and explain stuff to you.

Cons

The only downside I can think of is shoveling fish poop. It isn't the most glorious job either. That's the only downside.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Everything was functioning smoothly with little to no problems. Everyone who works there was helpful and caring.

11. "Park ranger"

Former Employee - Park Ranger in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Park Ranger in Washington, DC

I worked at US Fish and Wildlife Service (More than a year)

Pros

The ability to have something different to do everyday, the ability to be in charge, the ability to interact with individuals

Cons

Everything was great and wouldn't change a thing

Advice to Management

Keep everything the same