US Foods Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
US Foods President & CEO Pietro Satriano
Pietro Satriano

Pros
Cons
  • Long Hours, work life balance needs to be looked at more closely (in 53 reviews)

• Long hours and no work life balance (in 19 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Challenging and Rewarding"

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at US Foods full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent culture and incredible training. exposure to excellent people and opportunities. great outlook for the future of this growing company.

Cons

the company is going through many changes and much unrest is felt throughout. we all look forward to stability in growing together

Advice to Management

keep your finger on the pulse. there is an incredible message at the top of the company. make sure the someone is always reaching up and grabbing it and handing it down to keep everyone on task.

US Foods Response

Apr 3, 2017

We were excited to hear you've had positive experiences with training. And, we couldn't agree more about all of the great people who TEAM UP and deliver GREAT FOOD. MADE EASY. to our customers. Thank ... More

2. "Forklift Operator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at US Foods (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good pay, very structured

Cons

long hours, everything else is good

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Sales Coordinator"

Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Memphis, TN

I worked at US Foods full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, pay, time off, holiday pay and floaters, great location, awesome colleagues, chef on site and cooked often, employee engagement events !!

Cons

Definitely a color barrier with the Memphis location. If you weren't white, you were less likely to get promoted into a management position. When I left a few months ago, there were 2 black man out of 70 that were on the sales team and internally there were two black women out of 10 that were in salaried positions. Growth potential is bleak in that regard but I don't believe that would be true at other locations. Many of the employees were hard workers but I am privy to at least 3 separate incidents of more qualified African Americans overlooked at the company.

Advice to Management

Promote people in positions that know and can perform the job as opposed to those who are not and attain the title due to their race alone.

5. "Great Team"

Current Employee - Culinary Specialist in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Culinary Specialist in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at US Foods full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team to work with and great compensation. Room for creative freedom and growth.

Cons

Not many cons so far.

6. "National Sales Director"

Former Employee - National Sales Director in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - National Sales Director in San Antonio, TX

I worked at US Foods full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great corporate culture and excellent benefits

Cons

Large company and sometimes individuals do not receive the training needed to perform at the highest levels

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the core customer first attitude

7. "A Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at US Foods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Teamwork, ability to control your own success, US Foods provides the opportunity and support for employees to be successful and grow as the company grows. I would go back to work for US Foods in a heartbeat. They really are concerned and interested in helping their customers succeed in business.

Cons

Some long hours and weekend, holiday work required. Nothing really bad to say.

Advice to Management

Don't lose focus on your employees that make you successful. Unhappy employees make for unhappy customers.

8. "Overall I would work there again"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Orange, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Orange, FL

I have been working at US Foods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee appreciation events.
    The working environment.

Cons

The drive was almost an hour each way for me.

9. "Solutions Center Sales & Quoting Associate"

Former Employee - Solutions Center Senior Associate in New Hope, MN
    Former Employee - Solutions Center Senior Associate in New Hope, MN

I worked at US Foods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great People, lots of drawings and contests to win prizes and they provided a very thorough training program on everything Culinary, equipment, stoves walk-in freezers down to a hotdog stand broiler at the local baseball game. Manufacturer Product Managers gave a 15-30 presentation on the product and how to use it while the employees drank coffee and ate delicious pastries. They may have started out slightly lower on the pay scale but in 6 mos. there was another .70 cent raise available. It was also very possible to climb the company ladder. These were opportunities that made the company enjoyable to go to each day. I would recommend finding employment here to anyone.

Cons

They kept an old model "point" time-keeping system alive that monitors you down to the minute on arrival, breaks & departure time then attaches "points" that count against you up to Five full points and you can be terminated at that time at the will of management. For Example...if you arrive back from break, punch in at the time clock 1 minute to 10 minutes late, that is 1/4 points. Call in with an unplanned absence, this would be "One" full point. It seemed stressful and a bit outdated for my taste. They were not very lenient on the "Plan" or Projected time to successfully "pass " the skill Training set put forth for your 90 day training period,. If you fell behind they seriously looked for you to NOT be working there in that time period. It felt like I was a "dime a dozen".

Advice to Management

Try not to micro manage and loosen the reins on the "point" system".

10. "Good luck"

Former Employee - Router in Manchester, MO
    Former Employee - Router in Manchester, MO

I worked at US Foods full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was good, my direct coworkers were fantastic. The ability to buy food in bulk was a great perk as well.

Cons

Ops management in STL is a revolving door, no one there has been there longer than a year minus the VP. They hire toxic management that kills the morale of the entire office and have seemingly no background in transportation. They don't see the big picture, they have poor training and they give you absolutely zero feedback from management about performance until it becomes an issue. You better pray that you're doing a solid job because if you're not they don't have any sort of coaching system.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your employees, give them feedback. Don't disappear for half the day once the higher ups leave for the evening. If there is a trainable or coachable opportunity follow the proper channels and coach the employee.

11. "HR role employment"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Rosemont, IL
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Rosemont, IL

I worked at US Foods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Culture, Excellent Benefits, and Salary

Cons

Leadership and Lack of professional development

Advice to Management

Genuinely care about your employees and do not treat them like they should stay in one position forever. There are times when the environment can seem very bias and carry discrimination with decisions that are made.